I feel like I'm doing everything right mechanically, in terms of technique, but sometimes my pick attack on the string just doesn't "feel" right. I don't feel like I'm slicing through the string properly. I angle the pick and practice to a metronome all the time. I've worked on cutting down my thumb movement to where it's non-existent. Sometimes it feels right, but more of than not, it doesn't quite feel like I've got it. What can I do besides get lessons (which I can't afford, currently)?

Here's a video of my playing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6iVClkXyj0&feature=youtu.be
Last edited by RyanMW2010 at Jun 5, 2014,
Quote by CorrosionMedia
One thing you could do is post a video showing your picking technique so people can assess the problem.

+1, it's impossible to give real analysis of your specific issue without video.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
You could get a book like Speed Mechanics by Troy Stetina (or I'm sure there are other technique books out there too) that have tons of practice exercises for getting your picking technique in shape.
Quote by gtc83
You could get a book like Speed Mechanics by Troy Stetina (or I'm sure there are other technique books out there too) that have tons of practice exercises for getting your picking technique in shape.

Exercises practiced with poor technique don't help though. TS needs to know if he's doing something wrong and how to correct it before exercises will help.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Okay, cool, I'll post a video in a little bit. Anything specific that would help you guys diagnose potential problems? I figured I'd play some pentatonic stuff and little things like the paul gilbert lick. I"ll be using my webcam...
Looks all right to me, I think you just need to spend a bit more time really getting used to the feeling of what you're doing. Remember that nothing about playing guitar is natural so everything you do feels weird for a while.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Yeah your positioning and motion are fine, you just need more practice. Your technique seems fine, as you practice more make sure to try to get the motions smaller though.

It sounds like you could work on articulating each note better, the volume of your pickstrokes sounds a little jumpy. If you work on this and make sure you are not tensing up anywhere while picking (hand, wrist, arm and shoulder (hard to relax)), your picking will be good.