Hey,

So.. My dad want's to buy me a new guitar, as he thinks my playing is coming along well. My budget is around 800 pounds, which is around 1400 dollars I think.

Takamine EF341C
Taylor 114ce
Taylor 214ce
Taylor 214ce DLX
http://www.thomann.de/dk/gibson_j_15.htm

These are the guitars I've been looking at! If you have any other suggestions, please let me know!
Last edited by Gingerlocks at Jun 5, 2014,
Quote by Gingerlocks
Hey,

So.. My dad want's to buy me a new guitar, as he thinks my playing is coming along well. My budget is around 800 pounds, which is around 1400 dollars I think.

Takamine EF341C
Taylor 114ce
Taylor 214ce
Taylor 214ce DLX
http://www.thomann.de/dk/gibson_j_15.htm

These are the guitars I've been looking at! If you have any other suggestions, please let me know!

With this budget I wouldn't buy laminated body.
That's enough money for a good all-solid-woods guitar.

Remember, most of the times if the word SOLID is not mentioned in the description, then it's laminated.
Quote by Gingerlocks
So are these bad choices?

Not at all. I have absolutely nothing against laminated bodies. My collection runs to well over $10 000, but two of my favourite go-to guitars have laminate b&s, and one of these also has a laminate top. - That one is the best fingerpicker I have ever owned.

I've played a few Taylors recently, and the two you mentioned are among my favourites - I liked them better than many of the all-solid ones I tried. Also, the necks on Taylors are very easily resettable with a hex wrench and a couple of shims. This means that any age-related structural deterioration (to which acoustics are prone) is easily fixed. OTOH, the Taks might have epoxy-jointed necks that are near-impossible to repair cost-effectively.
Last edited by Tony Done at Jun 5, 2014,
Quote by Gingerlocks
So are these bad choices?

No not at all.
Most of the guitars you mentioned are amongst the best of their kind (laminated) and they could beat many solid guitars.

But imho, these Taylors and the Gibson you mentioned are for those buying for Brand rather than sound, if you know what I mean.
My opinion is that they are overpriced and that there are better guitars in that price range.

Have a look at Guild GAD series, Blueridge, Seagull, Eastman, PRS SE, Sigma.

There are some laminated guitars out there that cost $3000 and sound incredible. But that's a different story I think
Well... I'm more tempted towards the Takamine. But I've played the Taylors, and I thought they were good!
Quote by gogonias
No not at all.
Most of the guitars you mentioned are amongst the best of their kind (laminated) and they could beat many solid guitars.

But imho, these Taylors and the Gibson you mentioned are for those buying for Brand rather than sound, if you know what I mean.
My opinion is that they are overpriced and that there are better guitars in that price range.

Have a look at Guild GAD series, Blueridge, Seagull, Eastman, PRS SE, Sigma.

There are some laminated guitars out there that cost $3000 and sound incredible. But that's a different story I think

I'll just clarify my position on this. I agree entirely that you pay for the name with something like Taylor, Fender, Martin or Gibson, which reflects production costs in the US; we have the same situation with Maton here in Oz. However, what is unique about Taylor in mid-priced guitars is that the fully-bolt-on neck can be reset very easily. The geometry of most guitars deteriorates with age (it is often bad to start with) due to string tension, so that the action gets higher. This is initially fixed by lowering the saddle, and then by a neck reset. On a guitar on which this can be done, it generally costs around $500 at today's values. Many Asian guitars have epoxy-jointed necks, and a standard reset cannot be done, even if it was worth the cost. OTOH, the neck jointing system on a Taylor allows the neck to be reset in a few minutes at very small cost if the correct shims are used. Because I am fanatical about resettable necks, this is a huge plus for me. I just hate the notion of buying a nice-sounding guitar that couldn't be kept going at reasonable cost and passed on to my great-grand children. However, I will emphasize that among a collection of modern steel string guitars in, say, the $200 to $3000 price range, I do not think I could estimate price in a blind playing test. - And this includes solid and laminate.
the Gibby you have listed is a dreadnaught and all of the Taylors you listed are the smaller, Grand Auditorium size. the gibby will project more volume but lose out in individual note clarity( i have never tried that particular slope-shouldered Gibby model). that's the nature of a dread(DN for short).
the Taylors smaller body size will allow for more clear, concise notes and still give you volume( just not as much as the much bigger DN) i've tried all of the taylors listed and like them all. they are comfortable to play for long periods( DN's tend to get uncomfortable on me while sitting and playing...big body !), and they have a great "modern" acoustic sound. a bit shrill for people that are used to the older style of lutherie guitars... heck, Martin's been making the same sound for 175 years ! if it were me, i'd probably pick the 114ce for value and sound,and the satin finish hides fingerprints, the 214ce for the gloss finish. the sound is barely noticable from the 114ce. the 214ce DLX is just more bling that won't effect sound quality...it's just prettier !
so, my pick..the 214ce(i like the gloss finish) and then add some Gotoh 510 tuners to it when you can afford them( they are so much easier to tune and keep in tune than the stock ones.).
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)
oh...and that cutaway on the taylors is handy as hell! only taylor i have without a cutaway is my 324. darned inconvenient not to have that.
the gibson would be my pick - if you don't mind a dread. it's all solid, and i like the sound a lot. that being said, it's got a VERY different voice from the taylors - very very different. what kind of music do you play, btw?
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
It depends. I normally play Folk music, or stuff like Seether (Acoustic). I always keep my guitar tuned in DGCFAD, or a half step down from that, as my singing tone is bass.

Does no-one like the takamines?

And also... Does the 214CE NON DLX, have a gloss finish as well?
Last edited by Gingerlocks at Jun 7, 2014,
yes, the 214's all have a gloss finish.
i don't dislike Taks, i just don't have enough expeience with them therefore, i decline to comment either positive or negative. last time i did that(who can forget the big Zagar guitar threads?) it lead to a lot of debate( and a bit of phishing by the owner of the company).
eventually, you'll end up with a few different guitars that work well in different situations. i just think the 214ce is a good all-around workhorse that does a lot well.... not perfect, but well. it'll play "bother" spectacularly, it'll do a passable acoustic "remedy"...that's better with a bigger bodied guitar..... i use a Taylor GS for that song.
satin's nice. i have a 324 satin 'Hog top. it hides smudges pretty well and has an antique look to it. some Gotoh 510 tuners, new bridge pins and a cool white tiger truss rod cover and she's different than anyone else'. i do miss not getting the 324ce though. i play a few songs where i need to get past the 12th fret and the lack of cutaway thwarts my attempts. oh well, there's a 526ce in my near future anyway.....
personally, i think the satin looks better without the pickguard. easy enough to remove if you should so choose.
Last edited by stepchildusmc at Jun 7, 2014,