I'm looking to get a new guitar, my first 7 string. I'll be playing a lot of metal styles on it (Deathcore etc.) I'm completely new to 7 strings so I will be trying all suggestions out in store. I have really small hands so I suppose thinner/narrower neck would be better? If entirely possible I would like to stay away from black, particularly gloss but matte and "see thru" black (that looks grey to me) is okay.

My budget is £350-£450.

Pick ups don't need to be amazing as they will be replaced within the next 6 months but if they could be alright that would be nice.
Bam: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/ibanez-rgd7421-7-string-electric-guitar

The longer 26.5" scale will help a lot with the downtuning I imagine you will do for death/hardcore music. Matte black and the Ibanez wizard neck is basically the original ultra thin neck.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
He said he had small hands which probably would make a longer scale more difficult to play. I suggest a ARZ 7 string.
Quote by Darkdevil725
He said he had small hands which probably would make a longer scale more difficult to play. I suggest a ARZ 7 string.

I'm confused? How would an extended scale make it harder for me to play? Surely it wouldn't change the profile of the neck at all?
Quote by TheStig1214
Bam: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/ibanez-rgd7421-7-string-electric-guitar

The longer 26.5" scale will help a lot with the downtuning I imagine you will do for death/hardcore music. Matte black and the Ibanez wizard neck is basically the original ultra thin neck.

I was hoping to avoid Ibanez because I find the RG body shape a bit square (I don't know how to explain it) but that body is awesome!!! The bevels on the body completely change my opinion of the RG.

Would the longer scale length make playing in standard tuning harder, or even impossible?

Thanks for that one it looks great!!!

It may be the sexiest guitar I've ever seen.
Quote by JustGuitar98
I'm confused? How would an extended scale make it harder for me to play? Surely it wouldn't change the profile of the neck at all?

The frets will be further apart. The AZR has a 25" scale and the RGD a 26.5". The difference between the two may seem minimal but I have a 25.5 scale, switching to my friend's 27" Agile sometimes feels like playing a short scale bass. At worst you may just not be able to stretch 5 frets where you could normally stretch 6, or 4 vs 5 or whatever your range is. The problem with the 25" scale is the low B will never intonate properly. So you may be stuck with slightly sharp or flat notes the higher up the fretboard you go.

EDIT: No, standard tuning should be fine. Like I said, the long scale only helps.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Last edited by TheStig1214 at Jun 5, 2014,
Quote by JustGuitar98
I have really small hands so I suppose thinner/narrower neck would be better? If entirely possible I would like to stay away from black, particularly gloss but matte and "see thru" black (that looks grey to me) is okay.

Stay away from matte black. You'll find that it's a beeyotch to keep looking decent. Greasy fingerprints just muck it up badly and there's really no good way to clean or polish it. Eventually you'll develop slightly shiny spots in wear areas, and it looks like crap. Translucent black usually allows the grain to show through, and that's fine.

You're not going to want a narrower neck, but thinner will work. You need to change your technique when you move to a 7-10 string neck if you're surviving on a "thumb-wrap" style on a 6. Not only are 7's wider, but they often come in longer scales as well.
Last edited by dspellman at Jun 5, 2014,
I own Schecter C-7 Hellraiser and I love it.
Also, PRS SE 7-string is pretty awesome too. Love the play-ability of it

Quote by Gunpowder
Thrashturbating? Most metal of all ways to pleasure oneself.
Oh I see thanks! I think I would be fine with that to be honest. I play bass so the wider frets wouldn't be that weird.
Quote by JustGuitar98
Oh I see thanks! I think I would be fine with that to be honest. I play bass so the wider frets wouldn't be that weird.

Then might I suggest checking out Jacksons new 7's they are 26.5" as well.
I'd also suggest a Schecter, I have a Demon 7 and it's generally a very nice guitar, especially for the price. Schecter 7-strings are generally 26,5" scale as far as I know, and as someone who also has small hands, I find it no problem whatsoever (and it's very helpful e.g. for chords on higher frets), and I enjoy their neck profile a lot. (And I think the pickups are the best thing for metal you can find for the price.) Also, it's matte black and I don't find it hard to keep it looking good, it doesn't like greasy fingers indeed, but generally it's a far smaller pain in the ass than all sorts of gloss finishes.

You might be able to get something slightly better for that budget even but I'm not entirely sure. Tried a Damien Elite as well, which is a bit higher, and it was quite awesome.
The only problem with most Schecters is their high fret access (looking at my Omen Extreme 7 right now). The rest is actually good for that price.
Not as interesting body styles IMO obviously how it feels and sounds is most important but how it looks is also key
Comfort of playing does matter, it always does. You don't want to twist your hand while playing solo, do you?
Quote by rootsofmy
Comfort of playing does matter, it always does. You don't want to twist your hand while playing solo, do you?

I agree with you about that, the thing I dislike most about my Les Paul is the fret access. I just don't find the schecter body styles that appealing, they're not really ugly but it's just doesn't make me go "Wow!"
How much is a Sterling JP70 in the UK?

I'd consider one for myself on a budget.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by lemurflames
How much is a Sterling JP70 in the UK?

I'd consider one for myself on a budget.

Unfortunately they're £660 so over budget. I hate living in the UK
Quote by rootsofmy
The only problem with most Schecters is their high fret access (looking at my Omen Extreme 7 right now). The rest is actually good for that price.

Yeah that is a slight problem (pretty much only concerns the 23rd and 24th though), but I've seen few 24-fret guitars that would actually be better in this department though.
Mate of mine might still have his JP70. I'll double check.

PS, have you checked out all the guitars on facebook groups? Loads of 7's come up all the time.
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Quote by Carrot
Mate of mine might still have his JP70. I'll double check.

PS, have you checked out all the guitars on facebook groups? Loads of 7's come up all the time.

What Facebooks groups?
Quote by JustGuitar98
What Facebooks groups?

Like groups for selling guitars/amps/cabs etc etc
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
THere's a JP70 that one of the guys who runs the Music Gallery up in Berwick is selling with Dimarzio's in it for like £450
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
The new John Petrucci signature guitar is available as 6 and 7 string and it looks like the tightest shit to me! I didn't try it, but I think it would be a good choice.
The newer 26.5" Jackons were mentioned a bit earlier, what are they like? Planning on getting a 7 string soon and set my eyes on the JS22-7, because i'm working with a tight budget (£250-300). Seems to have got fairly good reviews, and due to how cheap it is, can upgrade pups and hardware like tuners and nut, should it be necessary.
Anyone tried one before?