So I've been doing some recording for a while and I'm having a problem about double tracking in reaper. As what I've read so far from forums, I tried creating 3 tracks then grouping them and panning each guitar tracks, 100% right for the first track 100% left to the other, here's what I dont get. when Im recording, my recorded tracks responds only the signal given by the master track, no matter what I do it always end up center panned. Is there any settings I must recalibrate?
Grouping them?
That might be the problem if you have a mono subgroup.

Try using just two tracks and sending them to the master without any bus/send/whatever.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Well this doesn't help with your specific problem, but if you pan them 100% and 100% right and everything is working properly, they are going to sound like they are in the center anyway.
I don't use Reaper, but I don't see any reason to group the tracks, just recording and panning should do it.

You should check if your audio interface has some kind of Mono/Stereo switch, if the switch is in the Mono position you won't notice a difference when you pan the guitars.
Quote by jmako
Well this doesn't help with your specific problem, but if you pan them 100% and 100% right and everything is working properly, they are going to sound like they are in the center anyway.

Yes, this digital stuff is so accurate that's what happens.

Double tracking is really about either a) recording two tracks with the same music on - getting it as close as you can - but playing it twice or b) recording one track and using some effect like "automatic double tracking" or a combination of chorus / delay / pitch-shift to create two slightly different tracks.

These links are about vocals but the same ideas apply

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=73925

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/apr09/articles/doubletracking.htm
Did you record each take separately 3 times, or did you record one take and just recorded 3 channels and then pan them? If you only recorded one take then duplicated it 3 times, there's your problem.

I just record 2 tracks one 100% L and one 100% R for rhythm guitars nowadays
Last edited by AxSilentxLine at Jun 19, 2014,