I've been looking at getting a new replacement bridge pickup for one of my guitars, and I've pretty much slimmed it down to either the Seymour Duncan TB-4,5, or 6.

Anyone that's familiar with these pick-ups can give me some info on these? I was originally going to go for the TB-5s but would like a little more background first on these.
it's a good while since i've tried the tb5

(just to check, the tb4 is the JB, the tb5 the custom and the tb6 the distortion, right? i always find it easier to remember the names )

the jb is pretty middy and compressed, fairly bright and a little muddy on the bass. it has a fairly classic (though more compressed/middy) tone but with a higher output. sort of a jack of all trades.

the distortion is actually not a million miles away, but sounds a lot more "ceramic". It's tighter, less middy and harder-sounding. again, pretty high output (more so than JB). the jb is more of a rock pickup, the distortion more metal.

I have the custom 5 (which is the alnico 5 version of the tb5) and it's a bit more classic sounding than the JB- again more compressed than a PAF, but less so than the JB and less middy. But the ceramic custom will sound different from the custom 5, as i said, it's ages since I've tried it.

what type of tone(s) are you after? and what are your guitar and amp?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ Yep Dave

Main difference between a JB and a Custom is that I find the Custom being slightly darker. They haven't been same guitars and amps I've tried them through, but fairly the same settings.
The distortion, as Dave_mc has stated, is indeed a harder sounding version of the JB. I wouldn't say that the cleans are useless with it, but you do have to roll the volume a bit to get rid of the harshness (if you want clean cleans).
I would include the Custom 5 to your list, it's a good pickup and I prefer it's tone over JB or Custom or Distortion.

But as always, it is useless to upgrade pickups if your amp does not serve your purpose in the first place. Pickups do affect tone, but are minor tweaks compared to amp changing if we are talking about going from practice amps to even mid-range amps, particularly "low-end" tube amps of which some are by no means bad.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

^ Yeah. That's interesting that you find the custom darker than the JB. As I said, I haven't tried it for ages, but I have the custom 5 (alnico 5 instead of ceramic in the regular custom) and it's probably a bit more open-sounding than the JB. I'd say it's more versatile than the JB (the custom 5 feels/sounds more like a beefed-up PAF-type), but it can be a bit scooped. Depending on what you want, that can be a good or bad thing. It makes it more suitable for rhythm playing (IMO) but maybe not so good for lead- but then the JB can be too honky for rhythm. If a pickup existed whose mids were in-between the JB and custom 5, that'd be nice.

And yeah agreed about the amp- you can overstate how little difference pickups make (they can make a big difference, depending on what you're switching from and to), but if you're using a cheap practice amp there are other things (budget and space willing) which will make a bigger difference.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
what type of tone(s) are you after? and what are your guitar and amp?

Metal, for the most part. Not something that sounds extremely saturated, but something that has some kick to it. Some of my favorite sounds come from players using TB-4,5- and 6. There's also the EMG 81/85 combo but I'm assuming that it's a hassle to set up. Yes, I know they have tons of other equipment and recording editing etc etc, but that's what they use.

Tbh, I'm not too picky. It's just that I recently got a Fernandes Dragonfly X for free which plays like a dream, but the sound can get slightly muddy and unclear. At the moment I've been using a practice amp Peavey Vypyr 60w tube amp which I know isn't great, but it works for me. I've been rolling with an Agile LP 3000 and I like the sounds I can get out of it while using the Peavey.

Basically, I'm just looking for some kind of decent upgrade from the stock pickups for my Dragonfly.
the vypyr tube has a good rep, but i haven't tried it. i'm sure it's fine.

if you don't want mud and are mainly playing metal I'd probably skip the tb4/JB. As I said, it's kind of a jack-of-all-trades pickup which can handle metal if you play lighter stuff too, but for exclusively or mainly metal, I'd look elsewhere. (Of course, lots of metal guitarists probably have used JBs too, so what do I know? )

I think the custom has a bit less output than the duncan distortion, and is probably a bit more classic-sounding, too. Though as I said, it's ages since I've tried one. It might be worth considering.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?