Hello,
I'd like to start to sing.. I already play guitar and I'd like to sing as well.
Is it recommended to get a teacher? I saw there is some stuff online, but I don't know about it because everyone's voice is different. I'm self taught on guitar though. I'd like to sing in the style of James Hetfield of Dave Mustaine, kind of, but developing my own style.
Thanks for your suggestions
Good luck.
As a singer (well, i do vocal covers on YT and i do get positive response from viewers) I never quite practiced much at all, i just kinda started singing and I was always quite good at it.
If you want to start singing and you have an "ok" voice, definitely try the vocal lessons. They will help if you already have a basic singing voice. But if you really can't sing (your tone sucks, you can hardly hit any notes on the nail, you're just terrible) then i'd say scrap the whole thing and forget about it.
Singing is something you're able to do as a little kid, if you can't do it now even "okay..." then i don't think you will ever be able to sing really well.

Definitly do develop your style. Many singers like Anthony Kiedis cant sing that great, but their style suits the music they sing to, so it sounds nice.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

I am able to hit notes but I need breathing techniques and obviously exercise. Do you know any good lessons/DVDs or something along those lines to learn how to sing?
Quote by deadsmileyface
Pro tip: if you squeeze your balls tight enough you can hit the high notes better

The harder you squeeze the higher you get.

Top Gear Top Tip.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDQoMyPmg9s

this guy makes good singing videos. This one is good for breathing.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Quote by k.lainad
Good luck.
As a singer (well, i do vocal covers on YT and i do get positive response from viewers) I never quite practiced much at all, i just kinda started singing and I was always quite good at it.
If you want to start singing and you have an "ok" voice, definitely try the vocal lessons. They will help if you already have a basic singing voice. But if you really can't sing (your tone sucks, you can hardly hit any notes on the nail, you're just terrible) then i'd say scrap the whole thing and forget about it.
Singing is something you're able to do as a little kid, if you can't do it now even "okay..." then i don't think you will ever be able to sing really well.

Definitly do develop your style. Many singers like Anthony Kiedis cant sing that great, but their style suits the music they sing to, so it sounds nice.

I do not agree with the statement that you should stop thinking about getting into singing if right now, with zero experience, you do not sound good. I used to be quite terrible at singing and I'm now starting to feel that the sound of my voice is quite alright. I believe that singing can be taught for a large part, altough it might be more succesful for some than others. I would definitely reccomend getting a teacher, most importantly for correct (breathing) technique. Extended use of wrong technique in singing can ruin your voice in the long run, so you will want to avoid that. Especially in the style that you want to sing in, straining of the vocal chords is something that happens often.

Do you sing at all right now? I mean along to records or whatever? I reccomend doing that, recording yourself singing with karaokes on youtube and try to become comfortable with the sound of your voice. Learn where your vocal range limits are and definitely stop when you are hurting yourself. (sore throat etc.) Just singing all the time really helps to train your vocal chords.
Marshall 50 Watt Vintage Modern
Marshall 1960AV
Fender Custom Shop Strat
Ibanez Prestige RG3120
Squier Classic Vibe Telecaster
Strymon Mobius
TC Polytune
TC Flashback
Mad Professor LGW
Fulltone OCD
JOYO Vintage OD
Behringer EQ700
I often sing when I'm listening to music, but I'd really love to get the basics there and then exercise and develop my own style. Right now when I try to sing I get a sore throat, because I know nothing about singing techniques. I will watch those videos on youtube and I have found a DVD collection that I'm downloading. Hopefully that will give me the basics
Quote by k.lainad
Good luck.

I was a terrible singer and its this attitude that you can't learn to sing which put me off for so many years even while i was having trouble finding a vocalist for my band. i started learning how to sing because my predicament forced me to and don't get me wrong i was still awful for the first year or so (lack of tone mostly) as time progressed i became comfortable with my own voice and started singing songs that i know work with my voice. I am now a vocalist for rock band and the one thing that gets complimented out of the lot of it is not my guitar work but my vocals. So the statement that you can't learn to sing is beyond me. where i agree somebody can't learn to sing is if your medically tone deaf and lets face facts if your a guitarist obviously you can tell the differences in pitch and tone so your not tone deaf.

So learn how to sing honestly your going to sound awful for a bit. there muscles in your body and just like any other muscle will get better with exercise so practice and remember to have fun

Tip- If you can't hear the sound of your own voice properly go into a bathroom your voice will bounce back and you'll find it easier trust me.
Stop that stop that!
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls