I have been looking at the blackstar metal series and being just a bedroom player, im wondering if there is an advantage. To getting the 5 watt head an a 1x12 cab or should i get the combo, are there any advantages other than you can swap cabs?
Budget? - What is practical for you and what is your limit?

Genres? - What style do you play mostly, fav guitarists, do you need cleans, etc?

New or Used? - Lots of great amps out there used, especially in a down economy.

Home or Gig? - Also important. Maybe you do both. Jamming with a drummer can be considered 'gigging' but you won't have a PA etc.

Closest City? - We aren't here to stalk you but we need to know where you are in the world roughly and we can help further if we know what city you are in (ie craigslist, local shops, Guitar Center used section, etc)

Current Gear? - Also good for us to know.

The amp may be advertised as a "metal" amp, but that doesn't mean it will be appropriate for the kind of metal you intend to play. Trying to get a certain sound out of an amp never intended for that sound is ****ing frustrating.

I've owned bad amps and I don't want you to get a bad amp, so please answer these.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
No, don't get one of the smaller blackstar HTs, they sound plain bad.

I have a 5w amp plus a 2x12, and a 1x12 more powerful combo would have been more practical and probably better under most aspects.
It's hella cooler this way though
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
At least one model of combo my tech mate had in for repair seems to have a problem with speaker vibration killing the power tubes, so you could add that to the list of arguments in favour of head-plus-cab. Lower unit weight could be an advantage, higher cost is a disadvantage. I'm only a bedroom player these days, and use a 112 combo, but if I was getting another set up I would look first at head-plus-cab.
My budget is 700. Cleans are not importan, i prefer a nice warm heavy distortion, i dig the killswitch engaged tones
Try a Peavey 6505+ 112 combo.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Yeah, the thing to do would be buying a 6505+ or 6534+ 1x12 combo.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Laney IRT combo, iirc that's what KSE are using now and there's a knob that you can turn so it's at least 1 watt. IIRC.

Could be wrong on the knob though.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
There are several basic differences.

A separate amp/cabinet will usually have a closed back cabinet. This can take the same speaker and make it sound different. A combo will usually have its cabinet size defined by the size of the components and may not even have the size of the cabinet set up optimally for an open back speaker.

A combo will usually weigh less than the two discreet components, and you only need one handle.

You're more likely to have vibration/tube issues with the combo. With discreet components, you have the option of completely isolating the head (just don't fall into the trap of having to stack the head on the speaker cabinet).

The discreet components take up more room.

With discreet components you can choose the size and configuration of the speaker element to match the usage, both musically and visually.

Honestly, I carted around a Carvin XV112E (100W EL34 1x12 open back combo) for years, back and forth to practices and small gigs. For larger gigs, I added a pair of 4x12s and disconnected the internal speaker; the combo itself sat on a tilt-back amp stand next to (or in front of) the larger cabinets. If you view the combo amp as part of a set of discreet components that happens to have a built-in speaker for convenience, your world changes.
Quote by oxymoronicman
peavey 6505+ or 6534+ combo

Quote by Spambot_2
Yeah, the thing to do would be buying a 6505+ or 6534+ 1x12 combo.

Wait a second; since when does Peavey do a 6534+ combo? I can't find information on it anywhere...
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Sorry, my bad, there isn't one, I should have checked
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola