Hey guys, been away at college and haven't been on this forum in ages but I have a question I am really keen on getting as much info on as possible. I'm sure you guys know better than anyone.

I'm from a small town in southern Ontario and a very large annual garage sale is coming up this saturday morning (June 7th). My dad went around 11am last year and almost got a vintage acoustic Godin (I think thats how you spell it) for like $30 but ran to the bank and went back and it was sold! Basically the entire inner-town (not the outskirts) of about 15,000 people, particularly the suburbs, all open up all there shit for sale and each block has dozens of garage sales.

So my plan is to go right when it starts at 7am and go hunting for any cheap or vintage gear I can find. It's a very old town (we don't even have a music story anymore, you have to go to the city to get stuff) and I have a few questions:

1) What guitars are common at garage sales (especially old peoples houses) and how much are they worth, how to tell what is real and not knock-offs, how much I could pay and still be getting a good deal .etc
2) What amplifiers/pedals/ other instruments could I find
3) How much money should I bring?
4) Any garage sale gold mines found you guys can share.

Appreciate all info. Thankyou!

Ideally, other than the obvious vintage strats/les pauls/acoustics, im looking for some old-school tube amps, stacks, and some new-school pedals/fuzz boxes .etc
Last edited by jdenmo at Jun 5, 2014,
I imagine as far as "vintage" goes, you'd find old crappy Teiscos and stuff like that.

Basically just get anything with a set neck or neck through heel. If it's old, has a bolt on neck, and it's not a Fender or other big name, it's probably crap.

As far as amps, most tiny vintage amps suck and aren't worth bothering with. Their value would be mostly in coolness factor, just being what they are.

Bring examples of Gibson and Fender logos, maybe a magnifying glass.

Bring as much money as you'd be willing to pay for something? Bring your smartphone so you can price check on eBay completed quickly.

I honestly don't expect you to find anything/think your hopes are too high. This is 2014, not 1994. The internet has virtually eliminated the phenomena of garage sale/pawn shop steals.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
I imagine as far as "vintage" goes, you'd find old crappy Teiscos and stuff like that.

Basically just get anything with a set neck or neck through heel. If it's old, has a bolt on neck, and it's not a Fender or other big name, it's probably crap.

As far as amps, most tiny vintage amps suck and aren't worth bothering with. Their value would be mostly in coolness factor, just being what they are.

Bring examples of Gibson and Fender logos, maybe a magnifying glass.

Bring as much money as you'd be willing to pay for something? Bring your smartphone so you can price check on eBay completed quickly.

I honestly don't expect you to find anything/think your hopes are too high. This is 2014, not 1994. The internet has virtually eliminated the phenomena of garage sale/pawn shop steals.

a recent census showed that over 65% of my town is over the age of 55 and most of the houses were built in the 1890s. There's no movie theatre, mall, or anything interesting for 25km. I have a great feeling. Can you list some old amps I should avoid, and some that I should look for (other than the obvious vox, marshall, fender) cause I know theres lots of old 60s/70s tube amps that are pretty cool
Maybe an old Supro amp or something. I dunno what model.
If you fine a Klon Centaur (overdrive pedal) for less than $100, buy it. Highly unlikely though.

There are so many possibilities of what might be valuable that may turn up at a garage sale, its ridiculous.

But as Offworld said, bring a smartphone so you can check ebay prices on stuff.

Really, no offense, but you are asking for information that would take days and many many many posts and pages to type out.

Some site to check out:
http://vintageamps.com/plexiboard/
http://www.oliviasvintageguitars.com/

And check this whole site:
http://www.vintageguitar.com/special-features/25-most-valuable-effects/
A vintage 50s Gibson L5 might be worth $100 or so.

Seriously, if you don't know guitars very well and you want to score big, you will get duped by someone who does. Get a guitar collectors book and read it cover to cover. Learn brands, models, serial #s and Mfg dates. Know values or have a ready reference. Otherwise if you see a guitar you like, it plays well and it is less than $100, you can hardly go wrong. Shop for personal preference and not for the big score. If you play the game long enough, the scores will come.

We used to see "investors" get cleaned in the classic car market all the time when they paid 10x what something was really worth.

Hint: Godin makes fine guitars but the company is only 20 yrs old so they have no "vintage" guitars yet.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
I used to see a lot of Kay guitars at flea markets and garage sales.
Some are worth money.
Some I wouldn't trade a bucket of piss for.
I always see a few Gibsons and Fender's that seem to be priced well. I've never seen the vintage stuff some people say they find on here for like a hundred bucks. But the stuff I do see you could probably make a good $400-500 bucks or so reselling on ebay/CL and such.

What you'll probably encounter.... Fenders and Gibsons passed down/given to family members who don't play... old Fender/Gibson amps. Old peavey/marshall solid state amps that have tech issues seem to be popular as well.
PA equipment is always keeping your eye open for. PA gear pops up in garage sales quite a lot. When guitarists give up gigging, they'll often keep their instruments and amp but the PA gear gets flogged off for a song. Particularly, keep your eye open for wedges, you can never have too many wedges.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by CodeMonk
I used to see a lot of Kay guitars at flea markets and garage sales.
Some are worth money.
Some I wouldn't trade a bucket of piss for.

These can be worth big bucks. About 15 years ago my guitar instructor would look for these (interestingly enough in Southern Ontario) and told me to always keep my eyes open should I see one.
The great thing is these days you have the internet at your fingertips. Means you don't have to be an expert. I picked up a Yamaha FG150 (late 60's or early 70's) at a yard sale for $50 and although I gave it to a friend short a guitar a few years ago, it sounded great when I had it
Got some awesome replies in this thread. Also posted this in the pit (wasnt sure what section it suited) and every reply I received was of pure douchery lol. I'll be sure to look out for the suggested above. I have $250, thinking of getting more but not sure.
You really never know what you'll find. Some years back I found a 1971 Carvin solid state amp and cabinet at a church rummage sale. The cabinet is a 48" tall, 30" wide thing with a pair of Altec Lansing 418-8As (15" speakers) and a mids/high tweeter in a closed-back ported cabinet that can be used for guitar OR bass. The amp head itself has 275W of power and the pots were clean. We plugged everything in, stood back, and flipped the switch and then ducked. It was (and remains) perfect. I paid my $75 and then tried to figure out how to haul it home. It turns out that the cabinet will just barely fit in the back of a Honda Civic IF you roll the windows down (the corners will blow them out if you don't). If you have to make a run for an ATM for more cash, put down a deposit and get a receipt for that deposit and have them put a SOLD tag on it. If you've got skin in the game, a seller will be more likely to hold the object for you.

In my town, these sellers have become savvy. They've got an app on their phone (like Square.com, etc.) and one of the free card readers, and they'll take credit cards! It costs them 2.5-3% of the total purchase price, so they may hit you up for it, but the sale is done and the money is in their bank account.

ASK the sellers if they've got any musical instruments for sale. They may not be on display, or they may not have considered selling something of that nature until just then. I had one couple look at each other and say, "Well, there is that old guitar of Uncle Ned's...what do you think?"

And as you walk away, put a sign on whatever you've purchased with double or treble the price you just paid. You might just find someone willing to pay that for what you just bought.
Look for old guitar pedals definitely. A lot of times if the person who gets a hold of them isn't a guitar player they won't even know what they are.

Had a friend find an old Superfuzz and Fuzz Face from the late 60s and paid $10 for both of them.
Quote by gregs1020
Buy it all.

And then put out what you don't want at the next Annual Small Town In Ontario Garage Sale.
Quote by Offworld92
So true. In the 80's I got a G&L S-500 at a pawn shop for $60 with a Gorilla SS amp.
About 8-9 yrs ago there was a garage sale in my town and the guy had a lot of gear for sale. Gibson LP's for $400, fender strats (USA) for the same, Mesa Nomad head $350, Marshall 1960 $200 besides a lot of PA gear that was super cheap prices.

Hell there was a guy one here that paid <$200 for Musicman JP6 at an estate sale a year or so ago.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I collect a lot of things, guitars included. My rules:

1) nothing is guaranteed to appreciate- in fact, most things depreciate.

2) like others said above, do your homework, and keep your resources handy. It will minimize your losses, but it won't stop you from getting duped or making mistakes- because you WILL get duped and make mistakes. I found out recently a gemstone I bought a decade ago was an unlabeled man-made one, worth what I paid, but not worth the $50k+ it would be worth today if it had been natural. It was good enough of a "fake" that it initially fooled the jeweler I asked to appraise it for sale. And I know the guy who sold it to me didn't know it wasn't natural, either.

3) buy things that appeal to you personally, because you may find yourself looking at it for a while. Even a good purchase may not be easily flipped, because you have to find a buyer who shares your assessment of what you're selling.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by badfish_lewis
These can be worth big bucks. About 15 years ago my guitar instructor would look for these (interestingly enough in Southern Ontario) and told me to always keep my eyes open should I see one.
The great thing is these days you have the internet at your fingertips. Means you don't have to be an expert. I picked up a Yamaha FG150 (late 60's or early 70's) at a yard sale for $50 and although I gave it to a friend short a guitar a few years ago, it sounded great when I had it

are you referring to a nippon gakki? i have 6 of those from that era. two i got for under $20, the rest around $50, and one was really nice so i laid out $100, i just searched craigslist. brilliant instruments.

i picked up a $1000 used trumpet for $50. older bach. i have a King Silver Flare from the early 70's that was given to be by a friend (he didn't ask for money, i just handed him a $100 bill. i didn't think it was worth two grand. i picked up two of the military horns for $11, probably worth about $50-100

if you play multiple instruments (or know a lot about them) a lot of those get cheap after the school year ends and kids quit playing and sell their instruments. i am actually now looking for a xylophone and a few other cheap but decent woodwinds.

i know i stepped out of the guitar realm a bit, but guitars are not the only instrument that are worth money.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
^^^ Do you play the trumpet? (Asking trashd)
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Last edited by lucky1978 at Jun 9, 2014,
Quote by lucky1978
^^^ Do you play the trumpet? (Asking trashd)

yea, and piano, and drums, and bass, and can play pretty much any brass instrument if i had a few days to refresh on it.

trumpet and coronets (basically the same thing just a bit different) are the only brass instruments i regularly play.

but piano and guitar get the most attention.

a few years ago i had some extra cash sitting around, i bought a bunch of intermediate band equipment (in working order or knowing how to simply fix) after the school season was over, and i kept it until august/september, sold most all of it and made at least 40% profit, the market shifts from a buyers to a sellers.

i have it on a spreadsheet somewhere i think i saved it in my email luckily because that computer died on me. hard drive died and nothing could have been requisitioned from the lost data, but i keep my photos and music on usb drives in a safe so i don't lose any of that.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Jun 9, 2014,
post from the pit because this guy made the exact same post there

Quote by 457undead
if there are any guitars there, its most likely going a shitty strat copy and a mg amp that used to belong to the moms kid who could only play smoke on the water and the guitar ended up under the kids bed for 2 years until the mom realized this and sold it at the garage sale she was having in 3 weeks.
Quote by lolmnt
I love to have my vag pounded by guys who make lame threads on the internet!

Quote by snipelfritz
This thread topic is gold. I've been on this website for 8 years and I've never come up with anything like this. So yeah. Great job TS[457undead].
(To trashd)(again...)

I started out as a kid on piano and I'm ok and know quite few people who play piano and guitar, it seems to crossover well for some reason. But it seems like brass musicians never crossover to guitar or vice versa. Thats pretty cool though. I bought a flute years ago and my friends made fun of me, haha. I still have it somewhere but I'm pretty horrible with it besides "america" and "twinkle twinkle little star", I ****ing rock that shit.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Last edited by lucky1978 at Jun 9, 2014,
Quote by lucky1978
(To trashd)(again...)

I started out as a kid on piano and I'm ok and know quite few people who play piano and guitar, it seems to crossover well for some reason. But it seems like brass musicians never crossover to guitar or vice versa. Thats pretty cool though. I bought a flute years ago and my friends made fun of me, haha. I still have it somewhere but I'm pretty horrible with it besides "america" and "twinkle twinkle little star", I ****ing rock that shit.

its a lot of fun. i played on a digital piano (weighted keys) from age 5 to 12 and quite for a while and started up again a while ago, and a few months ago bought a Yamaha vertical piano, sounds so amazing. it plays with perfect ease.

piano is a fun instrument. i learned traditionally first this time. i have every scale memorized in every key, all triads maj and minor dim and augmented and inversions and VII's. i can read music quite well too, so i go through just normal books. i am a big Mozart fan, for classical, and really like Billy Joel and Elton John's piano work for 'newer' music (really who the **** dosn't?).

the nice thing about that is it shoves a lot of theory down your throat and it crosses over from guitar and the work together nicely as you said. i have progressed as a guitarist even faster after playing the piano.

what i do a lot on the piano is improv. its so much fun. and that is about all i do on the guitar. most of the actual songs i know on guitar are the ones i have taught various students (aged probably 13-60's).

____

i haven't really played a flute, i don't think i could without starting fresh.

and i want to learn harmnoica. would go great with some of my blues (mainly on guitar, but piano too).
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Jun 9, 2014,
Quote by CodeMonk
If you fine a Klon Centaur (overdrive pedal) for less than $100, buy it. Highly unlikely though.

Hell, if you find a Klon for $1000, buy it then sell it to some sucker for 2k or whatever it is they go for these days
dude I do collectables as a side and I can tell you that the chances of finding anything worth getting excited about (dirt cheap) at a garage sale is pretty low these days. as mentioned the internet and ebay in particular has pretty much killed deals. now you find a Squier strat priced at new or higher prices cuz someone who doesn't know better went on ebay and saw a strat that said fender on it for that kind of money.

in the late 70s I bought a Supro dual-tone (guitar) for $20 which I later sold for way more. I also bought a nice Sears Silvertone (with amp case) for the same price. got a script face MXR Phase 100 for $10 in the early 80s. sadly those days are gone. while you can get really lucky still those days are pretty much gone.