https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5c9H302jzk

That's the kind of tone I'm looking for. Not sure if I can put this here, so I apologize if it's in the wrong place, I just read "discuss recording techniques".

So the tone definitely sounds like a single coil to my ear. Any ideas on how to make a humbucker guitar sound like that? Presets for guitar rig?

Also, I'm hearing a treble boost and some reverb for the guitar, can anyone confirm this? Or am I wrong?

Sorry, I'm not really good at this stuff.

I will most likely be recording DI, then modeling the sound on my computer. I could record with amp, if someone could give me a good place to start for amp settings?
Well now that I know how to put a sig on, I don't know what to put.
To me it sounds like straight single coils with some mad compression and noise reduction put on in post, and maybe a touch of reverb on the amp. As far as treble boost goes, I would say it's more likely the choice in pickup, but that might help to recreate it.

You can't really make a humbucker equipped guitar sound like a strat. There may be something in Guitar Rig to do it, but I doubt it sounds right.

You could try unscrewing the screws (with a flat head screwdriver) from half of each of humbucker, so you either have 6 screws or 6 pole pieces in each.

Check out this video. Skip to about 7 minutes in (this guy talks a lot) to see what I'm talking about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6g8qF9vC11s
Last edited by mjones1992 at Jun 6, 2014,
groovydjs is literally the biggest douche related to guitar on YT there is, but my friend did that to his SG and it did make a difference, although it wasn't a "perfect" single coil tone.
Quote by Jmoarguitar
groovydjs is literally the biggest douche related to guitar on YT there is, but my friend did that to his SG and it did make a difference, although it wasn't a "perfect" single coil tone.

Haha true that, although I give him second place next to Tom Hess on the douche-o-meter.

And yeah. Hopefully OP can get something a little closer with a treble boost and a reduction on the low end :-/