Hey guys,

I am brand new to the world of playing music. I played trumpet for a little bit in early middle school but that wasn't for me. I am 21 now and am looking to start playing guitar specifically electric guitar. I am near State College, PA and if you know where that's at there aren't any big cities close to there. Biggest influence on me wanting to play, other than loving the music, is when Lemmy said he was worried about the future of rock and roll. And I want to be able to play this music and maybe in the future create some, too.

Also, I think there is a music store in State College. I will probably go there and check things out. How should I approach shopping for a guitar that way since I can't play it yet?

Budget? - Looking to spend $250-300 with $400 being my ceiling.

Favorite Artists? - Bands- Motorhead, Megadeth, Metallica with bands like The Winery Dogs also being favorites. Guitarists- Dave Mustaine, Randy Rhoads.

Preferences? - New so really don't have any. Brands -Dean because of Dave but nothing really.

Pickups? - Advice here is great. Thinking humbucker from what I have read.

New or Used? - Either or doesn't matter.

Location? - State College, PA

Current Gear? - Nothing brand new to this.
Last edited by penguinsfan871 at Jun 5, 2014,
I suppose you want a shredder? Keep in mind that you will also need an amp.

For the guitar, I would suggest Jackson. Unless I am horribly mistaken, Broderick and Rhoads used a Jackson.

JS32TQ Dinky

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Jackson-JS32TQ-Dinky-DKA-Quilt-Maple-Top-Electric-Guitar-109144808-i3104024.gc

or

JS32T Rhoads

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Jackson-JS32T-Rhoads--Electric-Guitar-109144816-i3104025.gc

I strongly suggest you stay away from a floating bridge, the kind you see on Steve Vai's guitar, because you will not use it as often as you think and changing strings will be a lot of hassle.

For the amp, I suggest either a Peavey Vypyr or Fender Mustang. Try them out yourself and see which one you like better.
If you like Dave, he has several Dean signature models in all different price ranges. I've never played one but I would imagine even the low end is good enough for a beginner.
I can't really vouch for Dean since I've never really played one. Other than the fact that Dean guitars look cool, I don't see any redeeming factors in their entry level series. Just wait for some other poster to come.

What I can say is that the Fender is in no way a metal amp. It will get you into the ballpark for metal tones but you won't really nail them. The Vypyr is a much better option for high gain.

IMO, signature models don't come anywhere close to the price:performance ratio of non-sig models. This is due to the fact that a large part of the money that goes into a sig model is being paid as royalties to the artist.

You will also need cables and strings. A strap is always a nice thing to have.

Don't worry if you can't play yet. Most of the staff in said guitar store can and probably will help you test it out.
I like Ibanez Wizard necks and Jackson necks. I would recommend a nice Ibanez Rg.
i think this would workout for ya, its a dean lol....its got everything you need to begin your journey into the world of rock and roll, i started out on a old Behringer starter pack. and it helped me get me to where im at today. this dean pack has humbuckers (which i didn't have) a little tremelo bridge and everything else you need to begin, i think this will serve you well in your beginning stages.
Kado, you didn't link anything. Also, I think I'm going to get some used gear because I would really like to stay under $300. What about the Epiphone Les Pauls? Does it really matter what brand in this price range? Also, amps I am having trouble on amps. I'm a little overwhelmed looking at them, there are so many different models.
I recently started playing electric guitar myself an I purchased an Epiphone Les Paul. (http://www.samash.com/electric-guitars/epiphone-les-paul-standard-plustop-pro-electric-guitar-elpplustoppro) Now its over your budget point but it sounds pretty nice an gives lots of options, I do find coil taps kinda a wasted feature since I'm still learning. I also tried Epipone LP 100 (http://www.samash.com/electric-guitars/epiphone-les-paul-100-electric-guitar-enb) which i orginially brought used, an the tone nobs stopped working, so thats why I upgraded but the guitar seemed to be pretty solid if you like the Les Paul design.
Fender Standard Stratocaster
Fender Mustang II V2 Amp
I was thinking about that one or the les Paul one. But was going to switch the cables and buy strings. Is that kit a good way to start or should I piece a set together? Will I get a better bang for my buck this way?
Piece a set together. Starter packs are crap that will only last for a year until you feel the need to upgrade. Ibanez and Jackson's entry level gear have the best price to performance ratio.

The entry level series for the Ibanez is anything that starts with G in the model name. Example: GRG, Gio, GART.

The entry level Jacksons are the JS series starting with the JS11 moving to the JS23 and finally the JS32. If you stumble upon extra cash, the Jackson X series is even better.

Maybe you could go for a Kramer Striker or Pacer.

As for the amp, the Peavey Vypyr honestly is one of the best starter amps.
probably avoid anything with a cheap floyd rose trem. a floyd rose special is probably swappable with an OFR, but any other no-name cheapo floyd is a crapshoot when it comes to swappability.

vypyr gets a good rep, i haven't tried it, though. the bigger models have more features and a bigger speaker.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I love my Deans, but I will not even consider one that retails under $500 new. Too many other metal guitars- especially Ibanez & Schecters- in the same price range that are better bargains.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by darrenram1
Piece a set together. Starter packs are crap that will only last for a year until you feel the need to upgrade. Ibanez and Jackson's entry level gear have the best price to performance ratio.

The entry level series for the Ibanez is anything that starts with G in the model name. Example: GRG, Gio, GART.

The entry level Jacksons are the JS series starting with the JS11 moving to the JS23 and finally the JS32. If you stumble upon extra cash, the Jackson X series is even better.

Maybe you could go for a Kramer Striker or Pacer.

As for the amp, the Peavey Vypyr honestly is one of the best starter amps.

I agree they are crap, thats a given, im not sure if penguin.. is gonna stick with it or actually take it serious (playing guitar) i wouldn't want him to spend a bunch of $$ and only play his gear rarely. If you plan on sticking with it penguin. then i'd piece a set together. I only threw the starter kit out there because i wasn't sure how serious you are about learning guitar. honestly i don't think you can get much quality out of $400 including an amp, guitar, strings, picks, strap and a tuner + a cable. i've been hearing quite a few good things about those vypers amps. is there anyway you can raise your budget? hope you find what youre looking for. i suggest hitting up a guitar store and try out different amps and guitars within youre range bud.
Well, I plan on seeing it through but the future is hard to tell. I love rock n roll music and would like to learn guitar. I'm thinking maybe that amp with a used les Paul special 2 plus cable, tuner, picks and strings will bring me to 250-300. I'm OK with spending that much on gear with the chance of not loving guitar.
Quote by penguinsfan871
Well, I plan on seeing it through but the future is hard to tell. I love rock n roll music and would like to learn guitar. I'm thinking maybe that amp with a used les Paul special 2 plus cable, tuner, picks and strings will bring me to 250-300. I'm OK with spending that much on gear with the chance of not loving guitar.

I don't think i've tried a special 2 but they don't have that great a rep. You don't have to spend too much, but at the same time going for the absolute cheapest option normally isn't the best idea, either. an sg400 (i haven't tried that, either ) is normally considered to be the cheapest you should go with epiphone. I think.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Again, I haven't tried that one, but gios are ibanez's starter instruments.

it's really up to you... if you can afford it now you might get a few extra weeks of practise in (which won't hurt, obviously). but if you can get a better instrument later (without waiting too long), that will also help. it's really a judgement call, and it's up to you, really.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?