So I was playing guitar today was trying to sort of diversify my style a little bit by learning new scales and things. I always have only used the blues minor pentatonic scale and decided to change it up and try a major pentatonic scale to get a clean and whole sound and just tried to chance my usual sound. Mind you, I have been playing the same scale the same style since I learned. I primarily play blues but I have find myself playing the same licks over and over again. Is it possible to get out of old habits and change ones style? Any suggestions as far as scales, licks, techniques anything would help. I am not a new guitarist but I have a lot more to learn and want to learn more. Bare with me here as it is my first time really posting things on this.
Stop playing and start thinking. What sounds do you want to make; think about that for a while first and try to figure out how to make those sounds before you even pick up the guitar.

Basically you're playing the same licks and riffs because you're letting your hands and muscle memory do all the work. If you want to make sounds that are new to you then you need to stop doing that and start thinking about what you're doing a lot more.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
You play blues?Try this to really spice up your blues
Eg - A Blues
Over the I chord play A Mixalydian
Over the IV chord play A Melodic Minor
And
Over the V chord play A Dorian
That should get you out of those boxes.
Last edited by EyeballPaul at Jun 6, 2014,
Take a tune you like and whistle a solo over it.
Can you do that?
If so, you can play what you hear in your head with practice.
I break our of "ruts" by forcing myself into new situations. Learn a country lick, a jazz progression or something totally from outside the box. Stick with it until you feel that you can incorporate it into other genres.
Quote by brandon.piracci
So I was playing guitar today was trying to sort of diversify my style a little bit by learning new scales and things. I always have only used the blues minor pentatonic scale and decided to change it up and try a major pentatonic scale to get a clean and whole sound and just tried to chance my usual sound. Mind you, I have been playing the same scale the same style since I learned. I primarily play blues but I have find myself playing the same licks over and over again. Is it possible to get out of old habits and change ones style? Any suggestions as far as scales, licks, techniques anything would help. I am not a new guitarist but I have a lot more to learn and want to learn more. Bare with me here as it is my first time really posting things on this.

Is it possible to get out of old habits and change ones style?

YES!

You are the person that can decide to change your habits of learning and how you want to live your life! So many people are aware but do not do anything with that. This is a great example. Want to be rich? Want to be a great guitar player? All you have to do is to decide and stick with it.

As for guitar habits all you got to do is to focus on your weak areas and practise those. That is the way to never get in a rut. What is my weak link or where do I want to go?

Now habits are good if you understand you mind just a little bit. People say muscle memory but your mind has 2 options:

Conscious:

Accepts and rejects every input through out life time.

Sub conscious:

Can only accept the inputs that the conscious part accepts and there you have the habit of things.

So accept a weak spot in your guitar education? The sub conscious accepts this and the only way to change is you to make the habit so the sub conscious uses this new habit instead.
Last edited by anders.jorgense at Jun 20, 2014,