I play metal, bands I dig are killswitvh engaged, down, crowbar. I have been looking at low wattage amps. Been considering the marshal dsl40, the blackstar metal 5 watter....but now I'm wondering would a pod hd500x with some studio monitors be better? I live in an apartment, I won't ever gig. Its just for jamming and maybe an occasional recording. So im trying to achieve the high quality distortion that I can get. What do you think?
I think a good mfx with amp modeling through a powered speaker is a good way to go for apartment playing. Its just as good as a ss amp or better and and there's a lot more things you can do with that set up. Including plugging in a mic or keyboard or even something to jam along with. And headphones.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Modeling will be fine. I wish i hadn't sold my Boss GT10, because my amp is way to loud for domestic use.
The POD+monitors solution might be the way to go in your case.

And if you ever start playing in a band and/or gigs, you can simply get a powered speaker, and voilá, you have an amp.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by jamesdolecek
would a pod hd500x with some studio monitors be better? I live in an apartment, I won't ever gig. Its just for jamming and maybe an occasional recording.
Well you do look like you could use a pod HD500x, or a pod HD bean if you don't care for the floorboard switching, both of them would be better than an actual amp for that purpose imo.
Quote by Likerman
And if you ever start playing in a band and/or gigs, you can simply get a powered speaker, and voilá, you have an amp.
Also, this so much.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
I skimmed over the post and was gonna say the ironheart 30/60 combo but the Pod + speakers is probs the better route for you.
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals