I think im gonna need a lightweight amp head in the future.

I currently have a Marshall DSL which I dont mind lugging to the occasional gig but every week for band practice is too much. Assming the practice space already has a cab, a lightweight amp head would be much more practical.

Im keeping the DSL for gigs but i need something smaller and lighter for week in week out practice cos the DSL is totes heavy.

Genre: Versatile but generally rock. Think Pulled Apart By Horses, Hawkeyes, Blacklisters etc. No br00tz.

Current Gear: Gibson SG Spesh, couple of dirt pedals, delay and reverb (FX loop therefore required cos i want the dirt from my amp)

Budget: Pfffff......um.....up to £300? More than happy to go used.

Ive been looking at Hayden Mofo 15w (no fx loop tho), Orange OR15 and H&K Tubemeister 18.

Please no Tiny Terror suggestions, ive used one and i really didnt like it

So what does anyone suggest?
Last edited by LivinJoke84 at Jun 6, 2014,
If you're getting your dirt from pedals, a Quilter Tone Block 200 might be the perfect tool for the job.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
^ but will it sound good?

Anyway, a lightweight head with an fx loop and dirt...
The JCA22H is £198 from thomann.de, it has an fx loop (though it's line level so find a list of pedals that work with it and see if yours are there).

Also the Blackheart BH15, though I'm not sure it has an fx loop.
You can find one of them used for €180 and a bit less around here, so you should have no problems with that either.

If you like the OR15 it's amazing, buy one.
Though I personally don't like it and I wouldn't buy one.

The tubemeister 18 is said to have very cool blue lights and stuff!
Though the sound isn't by any means highly regarded.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Interesting you have a DSL but did not like a TT. I thought they sounded pretty close when dialed in. Maybe a Laney Cub head? It's not lunchbox sized but tonally sounds pretty good and probably less than 1/2 the weight of a DSL. Worth a look.
http://www.amazon.com/Laney-Amps-CUB-HEAD-15-Watt-Amplifier/dp/B003USFXPG

Any used Mesa would get you there but they are pretty rare in the UK and probably still above your price point.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Jun 6, 2014,
That Laney looks pretty good, never seen them before. Good price too! Have you played one yourself?

Yeah, less than half the weight of a DSL.

I dont know what it was about the TT, i just didnt take to it. I admit, i didnt spend as long with it as i probably should have. Would prefer more EQ options rather than just a "tone" knob too
Carvin V3m
(()____(Main Rig)____())>

Carvin CS4 Goldtop
PRS Santana SE
Carvin SC90
Washburn Taurus 5-string Bass
Peavey 6505
Carvin v3m
Carvin 2x12
Spider Valve Cab
Plenty of Pedals.
Quote by LivinJoke84
That Laney looks pretty good, never seen them before. Good price too! Have you played one yourself?

Yeah, less than half the weight of a DSL.

I dont know what it was about the TT, i just didnt take to it. I admit, i didnt spend as long with it as i probably should have. Would prefer more EQ options rather than just a "tone" knob too

I have not played through the Cub but I jammed with a guy who had one. Definitely has good tone with the characteristic British bite. I don't remember if he was using an OD pedal or just had it turned up all the way but he could get it pretty heavy. Good player too. Find one and spend some time with it. Here is a Laney Demo to get the idea:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VO8MreEzXMM
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Jun 6, 2014,
assuming it's light enough i'm guessing the jet city spambot mentioned will be hard to beat for the money.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Jet City JCA22h
www.thomann.de/gb/jet_city_amplification_jca22h_guitar_head.htm?sid=8593f48e65aed7dee21c64c5273347f9

these little amps are beasts and will surprise you with how loud they can get
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Dave_Mc
assuming it's light enough i'm guessing the jet city spambot mentioned will be hard to beat for the money.
The only smaller all tube amps I can think of are the orange terrors.
If he rules them out, I don't think he's gonna find tube amps weighting less than 10kg.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
my little valvepower marshall 18 watt clone is pretty light, but i'm guessing it's not aimed at the tones he's after (also no loop). there are a fair few lunchbox amps out currently (I haven't checked the weight, though) but his budget kind of narrows the options down...

but yeah if the jet city you mentioned is similar to the 50, that's gonna be hard to beat. and 10kg too... not exactly super-light but not that heavy, either, even for me
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The Krank 1980 Jr is a great HR Marshall JCM800 type amp, but they are pretty rare here in the states, so I imagine they are even more scarce in the UK

I also just tried a Diamond Assassin and it was a cool marshallish type amp but it only had 1 channel. I think it will be the next small head I buy
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
^ Yeah I don't think krank even had any UK distribution or delaers when the 1980 Jr was released. Thomann stocked Krank for a while but I never saw they had any 1980 Jrs in stock, either.

Not saying it's definitely impossible to find one or anything like that, you never know- someone might have imported one or whatever. But I'm guessing they're going to be rare, at very least. And if someone did go to that bother there's a fair chance they're going to hang onto it if they can at all
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ Yeah I don't think krank even had any UK distribution or delaers when the 1980 Jr was released. Thomann stocked Krank for a while but I never saw they had any 1980 Jrs in stock, either.

Not saying it's definitely impossible to find one or anything like that, you never know- someone might have imported one or whatever. But I'm guessing they're going to be rare, at very least. And if someone did go to that bother there's a fair chance they're going to hang onto it if they can at all

Yeah, I don't plan on selling mine. I had been looking for one (used) almost a year and I saw mine for $300 with no picture and I jumped on it. I deff have to use a boost to get what I like out of it, sometimes I stack 2. I want to get a MXR 10 band EQ, but you know the saying "want in one hand and shit in the other, see which fills up first"
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate

yeah at one point i was waiting to see if thomann got any in stock- if they had got them in at the same price as they had the rev jr for I might have half-considered it. But they didn't, they dropped their krank dealership before they got any in.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Check out the new Peavey ValveKing II 20W head. Not sure what it goes for over there, and doubt you'll find a used one already.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Check out the Orange Jim Root amp.

I have the tubemeister 5 and have played the other models and they all have VERY harsh treble to my ears. Decent Cleans, Decent Dirt but neither are THAT great imho.
'91 Epiphone by Gibson Sheraton JLH
Godin 5th Avenue
ESP/LTD BELLA LUGOSI DRACULA
--
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
Hughes & Kettner 1x12 w/ Vintage 30's
Fender Mustang II
VOX AD30VT
--
MXR Super Badass Distortion>Boss CE-5>Boss OC-3> ???
Quote by Spambot_2
^ but will it sound good?

Yes. I tried one a couple days ago and it's surprisingly good.
I may end up buying one for myself as a gig backup; if my Ampeg for some reason fails mid-gig (knock on wood) I just plug the Tone Block to the Ampeg's speaker and get on with the show.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Hmm, that new valveking looks pretty cool

Only about 7kg too!

Anything that's less than the dsl. When it's in the hard case it's probably pushing 30kg! Anything less than 12kg is fine

Been looking at the Laney Ironheart 15w head. There are actually tonnes of great 15w-20w heads around aren't there! Not sure if the Ironheart might be a bit MeTuLz though....
Last edited by LivinJoke84 at Jun 7, 2014,