Not sure if this is the right spot but I hope the pit is a safe piece. I'm considering purchasing a TC Helicon Mic Mechanic, out some sort of vocal processor but that one leads the pack. But I have some concerns. It has a pitch correction feature that gently tugs your voice to the closest note in a natural sounding way. and a tone button that supposedly colors your voice and just improves overall quality. I do about 25% screaming and use a lot of raspy throat construction like Metallica in my singing. Has anyone has experience with vocal processors like these with these styles of singing. I'm mostly concerned as to the small amount of pitch correction on a scream, that ax far as I know, doesn't have a pitch.
The Mic Mechanic is just like a guitar stomp box, its designed for live performances. It works great from what I've seen in the reviews. I just can't find anyone using it that screams
I like the idea of the Mic Mechanic because I can control it from the stage, with my foot, or with the mic if i bought the companion mic.
I have no expertise on this subject. But as far as I know there are certain types of screams that do have pitch. But I have no clue how that would go together with pitch-correction
All screams have a pitch. Every sound has a pitch. Frequency = pitch and every noise you can hear (and ones you can't) have a fundamental frequency. The distortion in the tone you hear is harmonics, but there is still a fundamental frequency therefore it has a pitch.

Also, if you're using live pitch correction in metal you may as well give up because if anybody finds out you will lose all credibility to the vast majority of metal fans.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
That was my first thought. Surely, you can disable that feature.

The only metal songs that come to mind with notable vocal processing are Periphery's Letter Experiment and Cynic's entire discography. Neither of those affect screaming though. Nonetheless, screams and gutterals still have a pitch like normal singing.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Quote by Emperor's Child
That was my first thought. Surely, you can disable that feature.

The only metal songs that come to mind with notable vocal processing are Periphery's Letter Experiment and Cynic's entire discography. Neither of those affect screaming though. Nonetheless, screams and gutterals still have a pitch like normal singing.

On a recording, any pitch correction is done in post-production by the engineer/their assistant, typically in the editing stage before they start mixing.

And yeah, if it's the same as most live vocal units you can save patches so the obvious thing would be to make one, and then copy it but with the pitch correction on it, and then go back and forth between them between sections.

It will affect screams though, particularly if you rise up to the scream and/or tail off with the pitch changing.
If you have a good mixing engineer and a good mic you don't need it.

If you don't have nor a mixing engineer nor a good mic you may wanna get one of these, and if the pitch correction sounds better, use it.
If it sounds ridiculous or you just don't like it, turn it off and keep the rest of the processing.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
basically lad no matter what you do, I (a silly EDM fan) think metal sounds like absolute shit live

putting some shite reverb on your voice isn't gonna help. if you can't hit the notes take vocal lessons
Quote by willT08
basically lad no matter what you do, I (a silly EDM fan) think metal sounds like absolute shit live

putting some shite reverb on your voice isn't gonna help. if you can't hit the notes take vocal lessons

ib4 this guy probably sucks because he referenced Metallica, probably a greasy metalhead who thinks megadeth, slayer and Betallica are the shiznit
Quote by DisarmGoliath
All screams have a pitch. Every sound has a pitch. Frequency = pitch and every noise you can hear (and ones you can't) have a fundamental frequency. The distortion in the tone you hear is harmonics, but there is still a fundamental frequency therefore it has a pitch.

I don't want to cause an argument but as far as I am aware frequency =/= pitch.

Pitch is a psychometric labelling of perception whereas frequency is a metric measurement.
Quote by E7#9
I don't want to cause an argument but as far as I am aware frequency =/= pitch.

Pitch is a psychometric labelling of perception whereas frequency is a metric measurement.

Pitch = notes ascribed to certain frequencies.

If you want to argue that the above does not equate to pitch and frequency being the same thing (albeit different ways of naming them) then by all means, feel free to do so but I won't join that argument

And Will, I've been to plenty of metal shows with great sound, and (as I'm sure you'd point out is why people go to your club nights instead of staying at home and listening to their iTunes collection) half the fun is in the atmosphere there anyway.

Live music has a vibe that can't really be recreated properly at home.
Quote by DisarmGoliath

And Will, I've been to plenty of metal shows with great sound

Oh darling don't lie
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Pitch = notes ascribed to certain frequencies.

If you want to argue that the above does not equate to pitch and frequency being the same thing (albeit different ways of naming them) then by all means, feel free to do so but I won't join that argument

No I was basically getting butthurt about the semantics of the words, which you addressed in your response.

I can die happy now.

As you were DG
Quote by E7#9
No I was basically getting butthurt about the semantics of the words, which you addressed in your response.

I can die happy now.

As you were DG

Glad we got that sorted then, didn't wanna have to turn into Professor DG and start essay-posting

Quote by willT08
Oh darling don't lie

Just because I don't consider a 'great sound' to be a load of computer generated beeps and boops, quantised robotically to a metronome, and compressed to kingdom come, doesn't mean your opinion is correct
I don't see why you would need to turn that feature off, just because you're screaming. Screaming uses notes, in the same way as singing. It's just that the tone of the voice is different.
lel
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Quote by crazysam23_Atax
I don't see why you would need to turn that feature off, just because you're screaming. Screaming uses notes, in the same way as singing. It's just that the tone of the voice is different.

Because brokencyde
Recommended threads
rock n roll bar
punkrocklove999
Last post:
by punkrocklove999
How to
Puscifer
Last post:
by Puscifer