Page 1 of 3
Everyone has at least one record in their collection that nobody seems to have heard of. It's time to discover some cool music. Post the CD/Record/Cassette and some info about it and a track from it.

I got this collection of 6 CDs a year or so ago called Goodbye Babylon. It is a collection of old gospel tunes in a cool cedar box with freshly picked cotton lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Y0RYYUg6gY
Last edited by Duffman123 at Jun 6, 2014,
that gary davis song sounds like "send my on my way" by rusted root lol

and Bend the sky kicks ass. Reminds me of Tesseract.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Hollerado's album White Paint. I went to a Sum 41 concert with some friends and Hollerado opened for them. I was not expecting what I heard. It was much smarter and more complex than Sum 41. I picked up the album at the end of the show from the merch stand and loved every second of it.

The album case itself is pretty cool too because when they printed the paper cases for the CDs, they laid them all out and had someone physically apply white paint to all of them. So each CD sleeve is customizable, so to speak. The band intended people to scratch designs into the paint themselves.

Since seeing them live, I've become completely obsessed with this band. Which kind of sucks because no one else has heard of them.
Last edited by archangels at Jun 6, 2014,
I don't listen to much hardcore but I found this used and thought I'd give it a go. And wow, every track is a kick in the face, awesome energy. It's called At the Speed of Twisted Thought... by The Fix. Maybe some of the hardcore heads have heard of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEcLuBbrDGU
The Ziggens!

Sister band to Sublime, but strangely unknown despite that fact.
The ziggens were actually a big inspiration for sublime and they did stuff together a lot.

They're also a bit of an everything band, surf, reggae, punk rock, rockabilly, country and whatever else. Definitely something for everyone. easily one of my favourite bands

Enjoy

EDIT: soz thought you meant bands/records. oh well
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
Not really "obscure" but listen to Steppenwolf on vinyl. They are clearly a band of this medium, the scratchiness sounds incredible with their music. I found one of the albums in my dads old collection and it's awesome. A "meh" band before became one of my favorites on vinyl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZjXNxKixRU
Quote by MetalGS3SE
This is the best idea I have ever heard. Ever.

Naedauuf for president people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JLEBerqHGk
I'm a sucker for big band music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfPN0N9rzrk
I like this stuff a lot. Especially that beginning.

That's all I got for now. I might come back with more.
Join the 7 String Legion!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Messiaen is Magical

Official Approval
This message has been approved by:

Mister A.J.
Head of the Department of Redundancy Department
Mister A.J.
Quote by lemmyisgod97
Yeah Kvelertak are pretty good, I preferred their debut over Meir though.

They are playing in my town in about 2 weeks, but im working late so im missing their show. Everytime they are playing near me im not able to go.

I heard they are awsome live.
^I missed them when they played with Gojira and Mastodon. Me and probably close to a thousand other people were in line waiting for our will-call tickets and missed them, shit was so disorganized.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
Battle Circus:

Plini:

Sithu Aye:

Skyharbor:

Not sure how obscure these are to most people?
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Last edited by Emperor's Child at Jun 6, 2014,
Quote by archangels
Hollerado's album White Paint. I went to a Sum 41 concert with some friends and Hollerado opened for them. I was not expecting what I heard. It was much smarter and more complex than Sum 41. I picked up the album at the end of the show from the merch stand and loved every second of it.

The album case itself is pretty cool too because when they printed the paper cases for the CDs, they laid them all out and had someone physically apply white paint to all of them. So each CD sleeve is customizable, so to speak. The band intended people to scratch designs into the paint themselves.

Since seeing them live, I've become completely obsessed with this band. Which kind of sucks because no one else has heard of them.

hollerado are pretty cool, saw them live too a year or two ago. i like them. i like the arkells too. i thought hollerado were from the hammer too but apparently not, who knew.

edit: just a tip: they are obscure for you, but not rly obscure at all. they got a lot of radio time when they had stuff recently out.
Last edited by Thrashtastic15 at Jun 6, 2014,
I actually don't think I have anything that most on here don't know about. I don't dig very deep for music to be honest
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by WCPhils
I actually don't think I have anything that most on here don't know about. I don't dig very deep for music to be honest

I probably have some "obscure" albums in my collection but honestly I couldn't name them off the top of my head. Also this really, I just listen to music I stumble upon that I think sounds cool.
La Dispute- Somewhere at the Bottom of the River Between Vega and Altair

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQn-Apmynw4

Not super obscure as they're starting to gain some recognition in the alternative/hardcore scene, but it's a great album nonetheless.
I pride myself on my humility.
killing us is easy - operatic
trompe-l'œil - malajube
g - malibu stacy
one night at sirdie's - damn seagulls
turn against this land - dogs
tomorrow starts today - mobile

the music itself is pretty poppy tbh not what you'd expect when you hear "obscure" but outside of maybe mobile (and only in canada) i don't think i've seen much of these bands anywhere

Quote by mtshark
La Dispute- Somewhere at the Bottom of the River Between Vega and Altair

Not super obscure as they're starting to gain some recognition in the alternative/hardcore scene, but it's a great album nonetheless.

starting? they've been the biggest thing in hardcore since that album came out.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by MinterMan22
killing us is easy - operatic
trompe-l'œil - malajube
g - malibu stacy
one night at sirdie's - damn seagulls
turn against this land - dogs
tomorrow starts today - mobile

the music itself is pretty poppy tbh not what you'd expect when you hear "obscure" but outside of maybe mobile (and only in canada) i don't think i've seen much of these bands anywhere

mobile were totally in an nhl game. im like 95% sure.

edit: & now that song is stuck in my head thx mint
Last edited by Thrashtastic15 at Jun 6, 2014,
Quote by Thrashtastic15
I probably have some "obscure" albums in my collection but honestly I couldn't name them off the top of my head. Also this really, I just listen to music I stumble upon that I think sounds cool.

Obscure was definitely a shit word to use

I love the idea of browsing through random records in a store and picking up one based on the artwork. Then taking it home and finding out it's some awesome unheard of punk record or something.
Quote by Duffman123

I love the idea of browsing through random records in a store and picking up one based on the artwork. Then taking it home and finding out it's some awesome unheard of punk record or something.

I do that every time I go to a record store we should be friends )))
Dexter Wansel's Life on Mars is pretty cool if just for the title track. It kind of splits the line between funk and disco.

Sonny Sharrock's Ask the Ages is simply an album every guitarist should listen to.

Doctor Lawyer Indian Chief by Thunderbirds are Now is a great album if you like spazzy sort of keyboard ridden punk. And its only like 23 minutes long yet feels like a complete album.

And if you don't have Wesley Willis' Greatest Hits, I don't know what you're doing with your life.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
I don't know how obscure they are, but I've never heard them on either local or satalite radio.

Anything by Brand New. My fav being TDAGARIM.
MY Music
AMPS:
Chute CC-04 2x12
GUITARS:
Fender American Deluxe Strat SSS (with DG-20's)
Martin Dx-1
PEDALS:
Big Muff Pi Tone Wicker
Keeley Mod Bluesdriver
Holy Grail Plus Reverb
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Boss RC-2 Loop pedal
Quote by Thrashtastic15
I do that every time I go to a record store we should be friends )))

that wud be cool we could trade and stuffッ
Quote by Thrashtastic15
mobile were totally in an nhl game. im like 95% sure.

edit: & now that song is stuck in my head thx mint

montreal calling nhl 07 :')

but they were pretty big back then.. it's kinda sad how they completely fell off the face of the earth after how successful outta my head was. that song was everywhere in 2006

I don't have any vinyls It's not super rare or anything, but I'll just go with Argent - Circus because the first time I heard it was when my friend's dad showed it to me on his record player. I was just going to link Trapeze, but I couldn't find just that song on youtube. Skip to 18:48 if you just want to hear that one, though the whole album is really good.

http://youtu.be/1Jfhy68OhB0

I've got a lot of weird and pretty unheard of bands on my computer, but that doesn't really count does it?
I've got a few of those..
from the top of my head:

Ashtar Command - American Sunshine

Two Gallants - What the Toll Tells (not that obscure)

and Califone (pretty much everything)
Quote by Telecaster7
Oh dear, current affairs...
Whoomit when did you come back?
How do you make a signature? Is this a signature? Sig?.... Nature?..... Sigmund Freud?...... Nature Valley?.... Sigmund Fraud?..... Frankie Valli?.... ah, $!*@ it...
Quote by Duffman123

most of the time it's dogshit.

and if i do pick up something good, the artist is usually already pretty well recognised and just exploiting my ignorance in that genre. my two best blind picks are courtney pine and marianne faithfull's broken english, but they are hardly unknown
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
Last edited by Cianyx at Jun 6, 2014,
Quote by snipelfritz
Andrew Bird is obscure? I guess that's the mid-late 00's hipster in me talking

Nevertheless that is a ****ing great album.

Yeah idk he's not that obscure, although I figured most people here probably don't listen to him. He has gotten a bit more popular recently but I still don't consider him mainstream and most people I ask haven't heard of him before.

But yeah this album is great and has some of my favorite lyrics I've ever heard.
Page 1 of 3