I have never owned a tube amp, but I'm planning to buy a Blackstar HT Club 40 soon. The salesman at a local music shop told me that I will have to take the amp to a technician to be biased every time I change the tubes. Is it really so? Even if I replace the old tubes with the same model of tubes? Obviously I want the amp to sound as good as it possibly can. It's just that buying new tubes and taking to the amp to a technician every two or three years would feel kind of unpleasant after buying such an expensive amp.

Also, any HT Club 40 owners here? Would like to hear about your experience with the amp.
If you buy a matched pair of power tubes you should be fine. Furthermore, I'd think that the HT would have a non-adjustable bias (I could be wrong) which would not only make adjusting the bias pointless, but impossible without mods as well. Biasing is more a sound quality thing than a function requirement, if your tubes arent redplating and you aren't getting crossover distortion, I wouldn't worry if you like the sound.

Just remember, matched pair of power tubes. Preamp tubes don't require setting the bias.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
There should be a trim pot inside to adjust the bias. Just watch a youtube video, grab a meter, and do it yourself. Paying a tech for a tube swap every time you get it done is wasted $.

Here is a picture of the HT40 board.

Balance adjustment up top. Bias Adjustment on the bottom.

A lot of shops out there would charge you 80-100 bucks so they can turn a screwdriver for 10 minutes (at most)
Last edited by cheesefries at Jun 6, 2014,
Well that answers whether the HT needs to be biased. TS, there are lots of good instructional bits on the web for biasing. Just pick one and go.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
It's a sales move - it's like a car salesman saying "you'll want to bring the car by the shop for service, other shops don't have the right parts for this vehicle" crap like that.
It's probably worth pointing out that, if you don't know what you're doing, tube amps are dangerous (and by that i mean potentially lethal) if you don't know what you're doing. It's probably not rocket science (I've never done it), but at the same time it pays to have a healthy respect for it, and I'm guessing your life is worth $50 (or whatever it costs) to you.

EDIT: You realise the blackstar HT series is hybrid, right? It's a lot more tube than guff like a valvestate, but it's about 50:50. FWIW. If you like how it sounds and don't care, then that's no problem. But if you have your heart set on an all-tube amp... it kind of isn't.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jun 6, 2014,
Quote by badfish_lewis
It's a sales move - it's like a car salesman saying "you'll want to bring the car by the shop for service, other shops don't have the right parts for this vehicle" crap like that.

LOL. yep. One time I heard a guy ask the Guitar Center Sales Manager what allen wrench size does he need to adjust the truss rod in his new strat... the reply was "it doesn't use an allen wrench. It uses a special tool that cost $90 dollars we'd have to order for you, I recommend paying 100 dollars a year for our maintenance plan"

I would avoid the GC in Raleigh, NC. Bunch of lying scumbags from the top down.
Thanks for all the great advise! It sounds like it's something I should try to learn to do by myself. I've changed pickups to my guitar a couple of times and I guess that it can't be harder than that.

Quote by Dave_Mc

EDIT: You realise the blackstar HT series is hybrid, right? It's a lot more tube than guff like a valvestate, but it's about 50:50. FWIW. If you like how it sounds and don't care, then that's no problem. But if you have your heart set on an all-tube amp... it kind of isn't.

Thanks for pointing that out. I heard something like that. I don't really care whether it has tubes or not as long as it sounds good. I actually really liked the sound of Tech 21 Trademark 60 which is a solid state amp. Almost bought one. The Blackstar just had a couple of better features that made me want it more. The distortion wasn't perfect IMO but definitely good enough and the clean channel was amazing. Overall it felt like a very versatile amp. Many semi-pro guitarists around here seem to have a similar Blackstar. I need something that can do anything from jazz and blues to metal and it seems like the best option at the moment. It will also be something I use for recording and playing with a band.
Yeah as long as you go in with your eyes open, that's fine by me.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?