Hello everyone!
Long time reader, first post. First off, Ive searched high and low to find the answer to my qustion. Maybe I used the wrong search terms but anywho.

My setup- Squire strat with HH pup arrangement with Tele style 3-way blade switch and 2 volume/1 tone pots.
Also im using a .022 capacitor.

My goal- To have totally independant volume control with a shared tone adjustment. I have tryed several diagrams and no dice :/ Essentially I would like to use the 3-way switch as a kill switch in position 1 or 3 with blending capabilities in the middle.

Any help will be appreciated. Diagrams, links, theory or advice from personal experiences. Thank you in advance to all contributors. Thanks for reading and have a rocking day.

Regards,
Swaryas
Not sure, im a noob to the wiring aspect of guitars. So....yea. :-| lol. Though id seen it done before. If I cant use a tele switch maybe a different one will work?
I'm not sure I understand.... an independent volume pot? Do you mean a master volume and master tone that controls both pickups?

You won't be able to use your current 3-way as a kill switch for one of the positions. You could do it with a 5-way. Connect your pickups to the neck and middle positions on the switch. Position 5 would be neck, 4 would be neck/bridge, 3 the bridge, and 1 & 2 kill. Basically you would be following a standard sss wiring diagram, substituting your bridge where the middle usually goes, and not using the bridge input lug. You would bridge all three output lugs that go to the tone pots and run a single wire to your tone pot.

Or if you are going to only have one volume and one tone control, you could install an on/off (kill) switch between the volume and output jack, using the hole vacated by the second volume.
If I've understood what you're trying to do, I would wire it like a jazz bass http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=std_jazz_bass
And then put your switch between the tone control and the jack. Just connect the hot wire from the tone pot to the position on the switch you want to use and connect the others to the ground to kill the signal

Edit: here's what I mean about how to do the switch
Attachments:
_20140607_175627.JPG
Last edited by xnameisonx at Jun 7, 2014,
I'm not following. I think.

You want the three way to be non-functional (as in 'off') in positions 1 and 3.
You want the middle position to blend the two pickups together.
While IN the middle position, you want to use a pair of volume controls (one for each humbucker) to determine which of each you're using?

And you want to maintain the use of the third pot as an overall treble rolloff ("tone") pot?

If that's correct, would you mind telling us why you want this particular configuration and how you plan to use it? There may be better ways to accomplish this.
Independent volume controls with no switch and an added killswitch? Is that what you're after.. sounds like to me it is..
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Hello everyone!

First of all, thanks for all the input. Also sorry for being vague. Id like to use the switch like this, please bare with me.

Example: position one- bridge pup only. Position two-bridge and neck position together. Position three- neck pup only. I want to independently control the volume for neck and bridge so in position two I can blend the two pups for interesting tones. Also in position two I could kill the volume on either position one or three then toggle back and forth to cut the sound in and out. Master tone control. So two volume and one tone. Maybe this set up is a mystic pipe dream?

I currently have the jazz bass wiring with switch between volume pots and master tone. I could have missed something, it was like four am. I was tired but the solder was flowing like green beer on pattys day. It was zen. I hope this clears things up and thanks again to the ug community.

Rock on!
Swaryas
Are you saying you only want one position to be a kill switch
Eg.
Position 1: bridge pickup with volume and tone
Position 2: both pickups with independent volumes and master tone
Position 3: nothing

This setup is possible

Alternatively, have you considered using a push/pull pot for a kill switch then basically having Les Paul style controls (but with master tone)
Quote by swaryas

Example: position one- bridge pup only. Position two-bridge and neck position together. Position three- neck pup only. I want to independently control the volume for neck and bridge so in position two I can blend the two pups for interesting tones. Also in position two I could kill the volume on either position one or three then toggle back and forth to cut the sound in and out. Master tone control. So two volume and one tone. Maybe this set up is a mystic pipe dream?

This is basically how a Les Paul works, the problem is that if you turn one pickups volume right down so that you can switch to it to kill the signal, then you won't have that pickup in the mix in the middle position
You could have a volume for one pickup that you could turn all the way down when needed, the other pickup be at full volume when used on its own then have a blend control for the middle position. I'm not saying if would be an ideal setup but I think it would work.