vrecfer
10 IQ
What is the difference between theese different types?

Metal
Gothic Metal
Speed Metal
Nu Metal
Black Metal
Last edited by vrecfer at Jun 7, 2014,
AnnihiSlateR
Hammerheart
200 IQ
Metal I would say is something of an umbrella term. but for the rest see the first page of the recommendation thread at the top of the page which has little genre definitions.
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes
451 IQ
Yeah, easiest way to learn the difference is to just listen to the bands. Though I'd argue that general "Metal" is an umbrella term as already said and "Gothic Metal" is a REALLY vaguely defined genre..
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
NotFromANUS
Naturalist
150 IQ
Quote by vrecfer
What is the difference between theese different types?

Gothic Metal - Self-explanatory.
Speed Metal - Heavy Metal + early Hardcore
Nu Metal - Obnoxious hard rock made by sexually abused children.
Black Metal - Not easily defined in nascent form. Coalesced in Norway in reaction to the perceived commercialization of death metal. Restructured death metal by infusing it with elements from ambient, heavy metal, and classical placing greater emphasis on evil atmosphere and sublime majesty.
HamburgerBoy
10 IQ
Black metal = a marketing gimmick invented by make-up wearing basement dwellers to sell their shitty knock-off speed metal and "dark ambient" to unsuspecting fools
crazysam23_Atax
Feuergesicht
490 IQ
Quote by HamburgerBoy
Black metal = a marketing gimmick invented by make-up wearing basement dwellers to sell their shitty knock-off speed metal and "dark ambient" to unsuspecting fools

Your opinions make me think you know a hell of a lot less about metal than you think you do...
BL1NDSIDE-J
Banned
120 IQ
Quote by HamburgerBoy

So you listened to Dimmu Borgir once?
HamburgerBoy
10 IQ
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Your opinions make me think you know a hell of a lot less about metal than you think you do...

Nah, my post sums up a good portion of black metal quite accurately (see: Bathory and his followers). Obviously, a lot of the second-wave stuff can't even be called metal.
BL1NDSIDE-J
Banned
120 IQ
**** off and die poser get the **** out of the metal forum, you belong in the butt rock section. Have fun listening to Pantera and Gay7X
Last edited by BL1NDSIDE-J at Jun 10, 2014,
HamburgerBoy
10 IQ
Since it's more relevant to this thread...

Quote by BL1NDSIDE-J
You said Bathory wasn't metal, therefore your opinion is no longer valid because you are a false. Please see your way out of the metal forum.

No, I said that early Bathory is speed metal with a clever marketing gimmick ("black metal"). I'm talking about stuff like Hanging Garden, Agalloch, Filosofem-era Burzum, etc when I'm talking about non-metal.
BL1NDSIDE-J
Banned
120 IQ
Burzum isn't claiming to be metal, and I wouldn't consider that other shit 2nd wave BM maybe 3rd wave or even post black metal or maybe even just dressed up stadium rock.
HamburgerBoy
10 IQ
Ultimately, it was the transition period of black metal that allowed the dilution of metal riffs with poisonous influences like Dead Can Dance and folk music, creating the Norwegian alternative metal scene that would soon spread and infect metal on the whole by telling people that ambiance and pompous pseudo-classical melodies are in any way compatible with metal. There was a brief period in time in which black metal actually had meaning (see: DMDS), but it was just a transition just as bands like Adramelch and early Helloween existed only briefly before flower metal erased what it meant to play power metal. Black metal is an insidious lie, more subversive than nu metal or any other distraction.
BL1NDSIDE-J
Banned
120 IQ
I admit there is a **** ton of poser BM bands or atleast "so-called" BM bands.
crazysam23_Atax
Feuergesicht
490 IQ
Quote by HamburgerBoy
Nah, my post sums up a good portion of black metal quite accurately (see: Bathory and his followers). Obviously, a lot of the second-wave stuff can't even be called metal.

See my previous statement.

Just keep reading it, as you keep posting dumbass shit...
HamburgerBoy
10 IQ
Very good counter-examples, to be fair. I was thinking more along the lines of your average post-Emperor and any other number of "symphonic" black metal bands that eschew any semblance of quality riffing in favor of fruity choirs and keyboards. Like, even if some of them tremolo-pick and blast all the way through, they often simply take the very basics found in black metal and use them as a skeleton to coat with non-metal fluff.
Morphogenesis26
UG Nerd
30 IQ
Quote by HamburgerBoy
Very good counter-examples, to be fair. I was thinking more along the lines of your average post-Emperor and any other number of "symphonic" black metal bands that eschew any semblance of quality riffing in favor of fruity choirs and keyboards. Like, even if some of them tremolo-pick and blast all the way through, they often simply take the very basics found in black metal and use them as a skeleton to coat with non-metal fluff.

Guy's got a point.
The Wildchild
BAYBAY!!!!!!!!
1,012 IQ
That music has nothing to do with black metal besides sounding like it
lstfm

I'm a Nazi, baby
I'm a Nazi, yes I am
I'm a Nazi schatzi, you know I'll fight for the Fatherland
Last edited by The Wildchild at Jun 10, 2014,
HamburgerBoy
10 IQ
No, you can very much make a direct lineage from Emperor to, say, a Limbonic Art. Prefixed black metal is wholly the responsibility of corruptors of true metal values like ANUS who praise the influences of martial industrial and neoclassical darkwave and other forms of decadent non-metal. While they may not approve those "third-wave" bands themselves, they created the conditions that led to their permeation of metal via the acceptance of progenitors like Burzum.
The Wildchild
BAYBAY!!!!!!!!
1,012 IQ
Only in a matter of aesthetic
lstfm

I'm a Nazi, baby
I'm a Nazi, yes I am
I'm a Nazi schatzi, you know I'll fight for the Fatherland
HamburgerBoy
10 IQ
Quote by The Wildchild
Only in a matter of aesthetic

Black metal, more than any other metal sub-genre, is defined by aesthetic, so yeah, obviously.
NotFromANUS
Naturalist
150 IQ
Quote by Morphogenesis26
I think HamburgerBoy is just countering NotFromAnus' statement for shock value.

This may or may not be true, but is ultimately irrelevant to whether or not his point is valid. His points aren't exactly original or isolated. There are various perspectives about how diluted metal can become by outside influence. For example, some people reject any punk influenced metal as corrupt and lacking in the appropriate romantic spirit necessary for metal to work as an art-form. Such people would essentially reject anything but traditional heavy metal and doom metal.

I won't presume anything but what Mr. Hamburger has said.

Quote by HamburgerBoy

How literally do you mean to say this? The outright marketing of black metal didn't really formally occur until Cradle of Filth.

Post-Emperor implies post Mayhem, Darkthrone, Burzum, Immortal (all pre-Emperor), Beherit, and Enslaved (contemporaneous with Emperor). These are the major figures of black metal outside of the progenitors. Are you questioning the validity of the artistic output of these bands? If not, then you aren't saying anything particularly controversial. The Dark Legions Archive posits that Black Metal ended in 1994.

No, you can very much make a direct lineage from Emperor to, say, a Limbonic Art. Prefixed black metal is wholly the responsibility of corruptors of true metal values like ANUS who praise the influences of martial industrial and neoclassical darkwave and other forms of decadent non-metal. While they may not approve those "third-wave" bands themselves, they created the conditions that led to their permeation of metal via the acceptance of progenitors like Burzum.

You can make a direct lineage from Exhorder to Pantera. Namely, Pantera stole Exhorder's sound. You can hardly blame Exhorder for this.

Hell, you can trace almost any metal band to Black Sabbath. You can certainly trace any number of terrible bands to influences who were metal giants. This isn't really saying anything in itself. How was the Norwegian scene notably more corrupting?