okay so this question is probably more focused on the metal heads ha, but anyway..

I have an eight string guitar, omen 8, that I have bought used and it has a Dimarzio D-activator 8 in the bridge, but i saw a pair of EMG 808's, online for about $80

so my question is, should I get the EMGs or save up for an amp that I have had my eye on,
I believe it is a Randall RG200d that is for about $200

The sound i am really going for is a metal tone, not djent, [don't know how to play it lol]
but anyway if anyone has had any experience with these pickups or amp if they could tell me if they are any good for metal

http://www.reverbnation.com/parasiticdecay
^
link to a few of my bands songs, if you need to hear the tone I am going after, but thanks for taking the time to read this and I am sorry if this is in the wrong forum or whatever it is called.
You're in the right forum. You always go amp over pickup if your current amp is poo. If the RG200d is an upgrade to your current amp (if you have one), then go for it. However, I suggest looking for a better amp. Is $200 a strict budget for you?

And yes, EMG's can handle metal (Metallica uses them, as a point of reference). D-activators can do the job, too as far as I know. However, you'd need a better amp to notice a real difference between the two pickups (I'd think, anyway).
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Last edited by Maidenheadsteve at Jun 7, 2014,
I have a peavey vypyr 15 watt hahah it gets the job done but my band does a lot of shows and I was considering the randall because it is 50watt n is 2x12, and I think it is a Hybrid amp at least I think, and to finally answer your question, yes $200 is my budget.
The only amp near that price range that could be clearly better in terms of tone would be a Valve King 112 or a peavey ultra 112. Other than that, I can't compare the Randall to any other solid state in that range. So if neither of those pop up, the randall would probably do as well as any other similar amp.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
You need a new amp. Your Vypyr isn't really going to work with a band.

Don't buy an amp because of the wattage. It's just a number and it may not tell about how loud the amp is. Also, it doesn't matter if it's tube or hybrid or solid state or whatever (also, hybrid is most of the time just a marketing gimmick). What matters is if it sounds good or not and works for your style. So try it and compare it to some other amps.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
A good amp upgrade is generally better than a good pickup upgrade. You may not hear the difference between pickups if your amp is not good.
Quote by royc
A good amp upgrade is generally better than a good pickup upgrade. You may not hear the difference between pickups if your amp is not good.

You will but it is not going to improve your tone as much as an amp upgrade. I don't get comments like "you can't hear pickup upgrade through your amp". I could hear a clear difference between an Epiphone Les Paul and Charvel So Cal through a Microcube and Digitech RP355.

But pickup upgrade is fine-tweaking your sound (unless you get a completely new pickup type - for example if you swap your humbuckers to P90s or single coils to humbuckers). If you are not happy with your sound, you need a new amp, not new pickups. If your amp can't do metal well, pickup upgrade isn't going to change anything. But if you are almost happy with your sound and know what you are after, pickup upgrade is what you need. Also, if you upgrade your pickups, it will delay your amp upgrade.

In TS's case I see no point in pickup upgrade. TS needs an amp that he can gig with. Peavey Vypyr 15 is not a gigging amp.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Jun 8, 2014,
Amp fer shure. Start a new thread and do this:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1387138

You'd be surprised what gems we find for people if given that info.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by MaggaraMarine
You will but it is not going to improve your tone as much as an amp upgrade. I don't get comments like "you can't hear pickup upgrade through your amp". I could hear a clear difference between an Epiphone Les Paul and Charvel So Cal through a Microcube and Digitech RP355.

But pickup upgrade is fine-tweaking your sound (unless you get a completely new pickup type - for example if you swap your humbuckers to P90s or single coils to humbuckers). If you are not happy with your sound, you need a new amp, not new pickups. If your amp can't do metal well, pickup upgrade isn't going to change anything. But if you are almost happy with your sound and know what you are after, pickup upgrade is what you need. Also, if you upgrade your pickups, it will delay your amp upgrade.

In TS's case I see no point in pickup upgrade. TS needs an amp that he can gig with. Peavey Vypyr 15 is not a gigging amp.

Agreed. You can lurch to the other extreme ("pickups make no difference") which doesn't make much more sense than getting a pickup when your amp isn't suitable. And as you said, it's very dependent on what you switch from and to- you can normally hear the difference between a strat and a les paul even through cheap amps.

But yeah the problem is that people go to pickups first and assume pickups are the problem when the amp often is. I think that's where the "what you need is a new amp" bandwagon started up.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?