Hey guys, I am a modern metal guitarist looking for a better amp. I currently own and use a Marshall MG50CFX which is great WITH my EHX Metal Muff distortion...but the problem is just sounds so generic...like you can tell the great sound is coming from a pedal. I can't afford a tube amp. I'm saving up to finish getting my 5 pedals for my chain. I just want something that is a great all around solid state for about $350 at the MOST. As in good distortion that can go from Nirvana distortion all the way up to scraming death metal. This is my current setup.

Ibanez GRG120BDX (Seymour Duncan JB in bridge, Seymour Duncan Jazz model in neck)
Dunlop CryBaby MultiWah 535Q
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff (Digitech Hot Head if I'm playing rock music)
Marshall MG50CFX

Also working on getting ISP Decimator II and EHX Small Clone Chorus
Why do you want solid state when 350 could get a tube amp?
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Sell the MG and make your budget $400 and you've got a good shot at a decent tube amp.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
Sell the MG and make your budget $400 and you've got a good shot at a decent tube amp.

Peavey Ultra/XXX is a good shout.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
The suggestions of selling the MG and getting an Ultra/XXX/6505 are all spot on. You'll be much happier.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
I don't care for the 6505 because it is the king of the generic ____core tone, and sucks at everything else core. And van halen. 450 can snag a used mesa or a krank. Especially a 20-50w. Other amps for consideration peavey winsor and jet city
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
If you are dead set on on a Solid State amp for Metal your main choices are going to be between Randall and Randall.

If you don't like the modern 6505 tones the OLDER 5150 amps from the 90s are straight up rock/metal machines. A lot more hot rodded high gain Marshall flavor than that core buzz all the newer ones have.
Last edited by cheesefries at Jun 8, 2014,
You forgot about the ampeg140c!
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Kranks are another viable option, but they are very love/hate. I love my rev jr, but others will disagree.

I don't understand the warning away off from the 6505 because its a typical modern metal sound, when TS plays modern metal

Also, the 5150 and 6505 are the EXACT same circuit.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Quote by classicrocker01
I don't understand the warning away off from the 6505 because its a typical modern metal sound, when TS plays modern metal

Also, the 5150 and 6505 are the EXACT same circuit.

This.

Like, the ****!?
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by losing battle
I don't care for the 6505 because it is the king of the generic ____core tone, and sucks at everything else core. And van halen. 450 can snag a used mesa or a krank. Especially a 20-50w. Other amps for consideration peavey winsor and jet city

That's a pretty closed-minded way to look at it. Just because a lot of those bands use them doesn't mean that's the only sound they do. -Core bands sound the way they do because of the way they play and their song/riff writing which is identical to every other crappy band in the genre.

Would you say that Amon Amarth and The Black Dahlia Murder are metalcore? They use 6505s.
Quote by KailM
That's a pretty closed-minded way to look at it. Just because a lot of those bands use them doesn't mean that's the only sound they do. -Core bands sound the way they do because of the way they play and their song/riff writing which is identical to every other crappy band in the genre.

Would you say that Amon Amarth and The Black Dahlia Murder are metalcore? They use 6505s.

I think you could START to make an argument about TBDM, but then again I'm going off of what metalcore was, not what it has become.

TS, sell the MG, sell the distortion pedals, buy a Peavey 6505+ 112/Ultra/XXX/Triumph (in order from best suited to worst suited) or find the biggest Jet City you can find and get an overdrive pedal. You can find all of those used with your current budget if you're lucky, definitely if you sell the MG.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
For Solid State get a Randall RG series. Look used for good deals.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
A used Ampeg VH140C or Crate GX130C. Both are discontinued but its hard to find a better solid state amp. If there is none available, then get one of the new Randalls RG's.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Before you spend the big bucks on the pedals, buy a Pod HD, a Carvin LS1503 and a nice power amp. You'll find most of the pedalage you need built into the Pod, the Carvin speaker cab will handle up to 800W or so and will go deeper and higher (clearer) than any 4x12, and the power amp ($299 will get you 1500W) will give you everything you need for any volume level.
I thought about you guys' advice...i'm thinking i should sell the mg, and use my old peavey pacer 100 ss series (vintage 70's solid state) as a speaker to put a peavey valveking 20 watt on. I think it's a very versatile tube amp, and i personally love the sound. I'll sell the distortion pedals for a reverb pedal (possibly). If I don't get a tube amp, i'll get the peavey bandit 112.
Last edited by EquipmentHead at Jun 9, 2014,
Quote by EquipmentHead
I thought about you guys' advice...i'm thinking i should sell the mg, and use my old peavey pacer 100 ss series (vintage 70's solid state) as a speaker to put a peavey valveking 20 watt on. I think it's a very versatile tube amp, and i personally love the sound. I'll sell the distortion pedals for a reverb pedal (possibly). If I don't get a tube amp, i'll get the peavey bandit 112.

Sell the mg, and pick up something that you really want. I think a 6505+ combo would get you where want. Don't compromise the tone you want.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
If you want Solid State only then go Randall - If you're close to Virginia Beach I'll sell you mine. I have one but wanted something a bit more organic sounding (or maybe it was only having EMG 81/85 at the time) and picked up a Peavey 5150 (old name for the 6505) and never looked back. Do yourself a favor and take your Ibanez with the JB/Jazz and plug into a 6505+ 112 combo at a music store. Then scour Craigslist or used postings in your area and pickup a Peavey 5150 or 6505 used. You'll also have an easier time selling the Peavey if you decide you don't like it.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .