This, I'm sure, is a real beginner question for setting up live sound but here goes.

I need to be able go from clean to distorted and back quickly in the same song. I prefer to use my amp distortion and pedals for chorus and delay. I've been putting my pedals the effects loop. The problem is, I'd like to turn off the chorus and delay simultaneously when I switch to the distortion channel. In my setup, there is no way to do this with one foot-switch. I either have to keep my effects look pedals on for both clean and distortion channels or I have to leave them off for both channels in order to go back and forth quickly.

The only way I can think to do this is to get rid of the effects pedals and the amp distortion and go to either a multi-effects pedalboard with different pre-sets or go to a rack system with a pedalboard controller with different presets. Am I missing something?
Practice doing the tap dancing on your pedals to get used to hitting them quickly enough so nobody notices the brief split-second when your chorus is on unnecessarily - people never really notice the brief split second where you have an effect on/off unnecessarily.

Alternatively, have a look into getting one of these:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/carl_martin_octaswitch_mkii.htm
I think it should probably do what you want, i.e. switching your amp and pedals at the same time.

Seriously though, it takes so little time to hit two separate pedals your current setup will be fine with a bit of practice.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
What's the amp?

Maybe you can turn off the fx loop with a footswitch, and press both the channel swtich and the fx loop switch at the same time.
Sticking a piece of wood over the two switches maybe so you're sure you hit them both at the exact same time...
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Yep, my Mesa kills the effects loop with one button and I have 2 buttons for different gain stages. You could do the same thing with a SPST footswitch if you don't have one. Sometimes I run in a gain channel with my volume down on the guitar for clean or just a little crunch, and roll it up for higher gain solo work Jeff Beck style.

More than one way to skin a cat.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
So it sounds like without trying to jimy rig something, I'm looking at a rack unit that I can use a pedal to switch between presets. Is this how most live rigs are set up?
Not necessarily rack. You just need a controller with relay outs (they emulate a footswitch) and either MIDI compatible FX units or a pedal looper.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

That won't switch his amp too though.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Heel & toe?

I was thinking about this and I often kick in another gain stage for solos and might also add delay, phase, flange, or wah depending on the music. It never really bothered me that I need 2 clicks to get it done. I just create some space in the song so there is 1-2 beats available to make the tone switch. The other approach is to use a footswitch for the effects loop and use the volume on the guitar to control gain.

Somebody must make a looper with relay outputs surely?

Edit: without having to spend $2K on a G-System I mean.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jun 7, 2014,
If I was to decide that I just couldn't make it work using my amp distortion live, is there such a thing as a stomp box type of controller that one could plug all of the individual pedals in to and then use it to mix and match effects for different presets? Basically, it would work similar to a multi-effects processor, just with individual pedals and a controller. Does this exist?
Plus the Pedal Switcher, of course?
It won't switch your amp. Otherwise, yes.

A G-System will do it all, but it aint cheap.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
its three buttons. practice. if there is a two second overlap its not a big deal.

Distortion, two beats early add chorus, switch to clean, add delay a second later. you get used to it. and remember that in reality nobody would notice but a fellow musician and most would probably know. 95% of the population could tell the diffrence between a JCM800 and a 5150, and they are likely drinking. so don't worry about it so much.

but always do your best, a new opportunity may be out on the crowd any day and any night.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
<*Puts his feed up*>

Now youse guys are beginning to see the value of a modeler.

A single stomp changes every single pedal (if you want it to) as well as the amp and cabinet (if you want it to.

If you've got a Variax guitar and a Line 6 Pod HD500 or Pod Pro, you can also change the guitar model (and its settings) and any alternate tuning as well as all the FX, amps, cabinets, etc., all at once. Oh, and if you've got a MIDI setup, many (if not all) of the MIDI signals can be switched within that same single (as in just one) stomp.
I've thought of going the modeling route. It seems like I've read that some really big acts are going to this for their live sound because it is so much simpler. I've tried them before and they just didn't seem organic in any way, very fake. This was years ago though. Are the new modelers like the POD producing tones that will go up against good pedals and amps?
Quote by dspellman
<*Puts his feed up*>

Now youse guys are beginning to see the value of a modeler.

A single stomp changes every single pedal (if you want it to) as well as the amp and cabinet (if you want it to.

If you've got a Variax guitar and a Line 6 Pod HD500 or Pod Pro, you can also change the guitar model (and its settings) and any alternate tuning as well as all the FX, amps, cabinets, etc., all at once. Oh, and if you've got a MIDI setup, many (if not all) of the MIDI signals can be switched within that same single (as in just one) stomp.
My RM100 has MIDI switching, man - as do many other amps. You don't need amp modeling to take advantage of the convenience of MIDI.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by columbiar
I've thought of going the modeling route. It seems like I've read that some really big acts are going to this for their live sound because it is so much simpler. I've tried them before and they just didn't seem organic in any way, very fake. This was years ago though. Are the new modelers like the POD producing tones that will go up against good pedals and amps?

Pod HD, Boss GT10/100, Fractal & Kemper are all on par with or better than standalone FX pedals.

Kemper is on par with real amp distortion.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Cathbard
My RM100 has MIDI switching, man - as do many other amps. You don't need amp modeling to take advantage of the convenience of MIDI.

No, but you do need some adapters and some extra gear to make it work. They can definitely get spendy.

And you aren't going to get those individual FX knobs to change positions by themselves.

All the Multi-FX units I have are MIDI capable, too (as are my keyboards and even my ancient rack preamps -- MIDI's been around a long time).
Quote by columbiar

I think you've just answered your own question in that regard.
These days, sound guys see modelers as routine where artists are concerned. It's not necessarily *just* that it's simpler (you need to spend some time to get your individual sounds just right). It also opens up a lot of options. And it's just a whole lot easier to cart around. Guys with sounds as diverse as Neal Schon and Dino Cazares have done whole albums with Pods, and Neal is hauling Axe-FX on tour with Journey.

Modelers have already taken over the world. It's a done deal. It's like digital photography; critical mass has been reached. We're past the tipping point. Line 6 has sold well over a million of those little Spider modeling amps everyone loves to hate and quietly became the leading amp manufacturer with about 38% of the market. Fender is cranking out Mustangs as fast as it can and raking in the money. Newbs are exposed first to modeling and later to tubes.

Somebody out there is still making film, but more photos are taken with an Apple iPhone than with any other camera.
Quote by dspellman
No, but you do need some adapters and some extra gear to make it work. They can definitely get spendy.

And you aren't going to get those individual FX knobs to change positions by themselves.

All the Multi-FX units I have are MIDI capable, too (as are my keyboards and even my ancient rack preamps -- MIDI's been around a long time).

With my last band my effects came from a Quadraverb sitting on top of the amp. I used a small MIDI controller to drive it all (Boss FC-50). So it's the same as using a Pod except that it's a real tube amp. It's not a cheap amp though. Still, plenty of other amps take MIDI and many MIDI controllers have relay outputs.
There are a lot of ways to do it.
I'm playing punk now so all I'm using is one amp channel and a Timmy.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification