Hello everyone i hope you are having a wonderful day. So i have been playing this really cheap acoustic guitar (REALLY CHEAP) and my parents said that now that its noticeable that i got so much better at playing guitar they will buy me a higher quality one, i went on ebay and i was searching for electric acoustic guitars and i saw a lot that i liked, i have 200 dollars and i want a nice guitar that has a good loud sounds without plugging it into the amp, It must be the electric guitar looking type of bodies were i can play at the lower frets.
unfortunately unless you go used - and that's risky if you don't know what to check for - your budget is on the low side for a decent guitar. if your folks can go a little higher, i'd suggest the yamaha FX370C. it's not a solid top like the FGX700SC, which is the one i would have suggested if you had a $300 buget, but it's still quite a decent guitar. or a lot of folks seem to like the ibanez PF15ECE, so while i'm not a huge ibanez fan, it could be worth a look.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Well, I actually made a list for some friends who wanted to choose a guitar. This is what I came up with.....

1.Fender CD-60 w/ a Hard shell Case ($230)
"Wait, you said less than $200 bucks. You lied!" Whoa, whoa hold your horses. Essentially, you are also paying for the hard shell case. Most cases costs $80-up, so you are saving money. Fender cases cost $100.00 so this is a REALLY good deal. This is also Fender's best bargain acoustic. It sounds really nice. Other than it sounding good, the case sold me. This guitar is for the people who think they might travel and busk in the subway or somethin'. But if you like how it sounds and just plan on playing at home, by all means, buy it!!!

Here is a sound sample:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zep9th8xT6E

2. Yamaha FG700S ($200)
There are two Yamaha in this list. This one however is better than the other one because it has a solid spruce top. I don't wanna talk about this having the best tone because it is subjective. Usually however, solid tops sound really good as it ages. Laminate tops are basically thin layer of expensive wood over layers of cheap woods. This is by far the best one I can recommend people. (I REALLY LIKE THIS GUITAR AND I WISHED I PURCHASED THIS THING INSTEAD OF MY STARCASTER OMG)

Here is a sound sample:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViJvmmznElo

3. Recording King RPH-05 ($200)
Ah, now this guitar is special. This is a small guitar (parlor-sized if you wanna get technical) but packs a lot of punch. This type of guitar was very famous back in the 20s, 30s, and the other blues eras. Just imagine yourself being a blues man, like Robert Johnson (but didn’t sell your soul to the devil) and play this guitar like the bluesman or blues woman you are. Even though this is designed for the blues and jazz, you can still play different types of songs. It is just a guitar after all. What I liked about this is that is very small and the sound is really good. It is a solid top so it will sound better as you keep on playing. Because it is small, most beginners would be comfortable learning on this. It is very convenient and fun. Take it anywhere! Second recommended because of its solid top and very sweet tone. It’s a very fun guitar to play on.

Here’s a sound sample:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pn8HN7HoPgs

4. Yamaha F335 ($160)
This is a Yamaha with a laminate top. It is the same as the FG700S essentially except for the solid top. This is my third pick for being the best because it sounds really good. When you are deciding on getting a guitar, don’t look at the specs, just listen to how it sounds (an exception to this is if it says solid wood since solid woods generally sounds better.)

Here’s a sound sample:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoRIAjRazhI

5. Gretsch G9500 Jim Dandy Flat Top ($149)
This is another parlor-sized guitar. I am into blues and old music, so I’m a fan of this as well. It is well built, just like the rest of the guitars on this list. I prefer the Record King in terms of sound when it comes to parlor guitars though. This is just a cheaper alternative to a parlor. You will not go wrong between this and the Record King if you decide to pick-up a parlor guitar. I’d spend the extra $50 and get the Record King though. This is a good beater guitar you can anywhere and play in your couch. It comes in different colors. DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF THE PARLOR.

Here’s a sound sample:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgORxRne4wQ

I made this article for people who wanted a good guitar for $200 or less. Your budget right?
Last edited by Hence My Name at Jun 7, 2014,
tough one... there are few sub $200 guitars with a cutaway that are worth anything. i hear ya on needing the cutaway to get past the 12th fret.
personally, i would suffer with the crappy one for a bit more until you can get a better guitar that you will be more happy with. you'll be much happier for waiting.
i did a quick search on ebay and the NYC area craigslist. there wasn't anything that meets your criteria that was worth anything. so again, i preach patience.
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)
...or you know, you could try an Ovation? Are those what you are looking for Haven't tried one myself to recommend one. I'm sorry, my list doesn't include guitars that have electronics in it. I prefer putting a mic in my acoustic. What about Fender Sonorans? Fender Sonoran and Applause by Ovation are close to electrics.
Quote by Hence My Name
...or you know, you could try an Ovation? Are those what you are looking for Haven't tried one myself to recommend one. I'm sorry, my list doesn't include guitars that have electronics in it. I prefer putting a mic in my acoustic. What about Fender Sonorans? Fender Sonoran and Applause by Ovation are close to electrics.
The everyday asking price on an electric Fender "Sonoran", is about $430.00 nowadays. So, it would seem your avatar has yapped its way to double the budget.
I'd keep an eye on the c-list/used market. The Chinese guitars I've played (even the solid wood ones) sound kind of tinny and have a volume limit compared to a martin, or takamine, but you gotta expect that out of a cheap steal string? I'm probably wrong, cause I'm not an expert or even very good. it goes without saying that a soulful guitarist can make a cheapo guitar sound good.
Last edited by nylonbeater at Jun 8, 2014,
[The everyday asking price on an electric Fender "Sonoran", is about $430.00 nowadays. So, it would seem your avatar has yapped its way to double the budget.]

Ehhh, your comment would have been smart, but it seems you didn't take the effort to find the best deals. If you know how to find the best deals, you'd find one for sure.

I found an eBay listing for $235.90, refurbished. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fender-Sonoran-SCE-Acoustic-Electric-in-Candy-Apple-Red-/121270899015?pt=Guitar&hash=item1c3c4f1147

There's a new one for $265.95, free shipping http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fender-Sonoran-SCE-Acoustic-Electric-in-Candy-Apple-Red-/121270899015?pt=Guitar&hash=item1c3c4f1147

Sure it is a bit more, but hardly costing $430.00
Quote by Hence My Name
Quote by Captaincranky
The everyday asking price on an electric Fender "Sonoran", is about $430.00 nowadays. So, it would seem your avatar has yapped its way to double the budget.

Ehhh, your comment would have been smart, but it seems you didn't take the effort to find the best deals. If you know how to find the best deals, you'd find one for sure.

No, my comment was fact, based on shopping the major retailers, for a brand new in the box unit, with a new guitar warranty.

Personally, I won't deal with Ebay for any reason. Of recent there have been security breeches, plus the fact that low ball priced merchandise, oftentimes carries extravagant shipping costs. It may not be entirely as described, and any return can be an iffy proposition, depending on the seller. In any case, a return would burn up the original shipping cost, with the return cost ar the buyer's expense.

If something from Musician's Friend was defective, I would not have to pay for the return. If I was returning on a whim, then yes, ,that charge would fall to me.

Since I'm not high on meth, or any similar compound, I didn't perceive it as being my manifest obligation to shop under every rock on the web, for the best possible price on the guitar. I shopped the instrument, from a well known, reliable source, with which I have personal experience.

I'd also consider it a personal favor, if you're going to quote me, please learn how to do it correctly.

And BTW, YouTube video is the least reliable to determine how a guitar sounds. Whether it simply isn't always recorded correctly, or there are so many effects kicked in, so as to either obscure or over glorify the sound on the instrument itself.

Jon Way's "reviews" almost always suffer from the "too many effects syndrome".
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jun 8, 2014,
Quote by stepchildusmc
umm... i love Ebay...
that is all
Well, there's Ebay, and then there's Ebay. Unlike, "all men", all "Ebays are not created equal".

But, unless I miss my guess, most of your shopping is done from dealers, and most of your acquisitions are new product. Which, you might think, are an entirely different mood and demeanor from buying a used item, off an individual owner.

I've shopped Ebay with respect to buying new instruments. And it gave me no salient reason to stray from the E-tailers I'm familiar and experienced with.

Then too, I suppose it depends on what you're buying. If I need camera equipment, I call "Adorama" in NYC. I can call up to 8:00 PM and have my product in my hands by noon the next day.\, UPS standard ground, and usually free.

So, iI guess it's fair to say, I'm not a member of any particular buying "cult".
lol Captaincranky, you have a point. Why do you however have a need to attack me? We are all equal here so just chill for a bit. I'm new to forums, give me a chance to know the stuff alright? But yea, Musician's Friend is a reliable dealer. And sure, you have a point of saying not to deal with eBay.

In all honesty though, I'd prefer my purchases to be made in person. I bought a Lanikai LQA-C from eBay, for $115, free shipping...Musician's Friend have it at $249.00. I was kind of nervous, because there's no way they can sell it at this price but I took a stab at it. Came in perfectly set-up, ready from the get go, and no flaws on the finish. And you have feedback in the upper right hand corner for a reason, for reliability. The eBay seller I gave him had awesome feedback. (btw, the second link isn't working right.)

To be fair, all e commerce carries a certain type of risk. Musician's Friend eliminated that risk. Musician's Friend also sell at the lowest street price, so it's fair to say they have the best deals. But on rare occasions some other seller with a good reputation has the better deal, why not?

Anyway, this argument is pointless and diverges from the original discussion. The person that asked the question did not even reply to us about his/her thoughts so I think this is all pointless unless he gains some sort of perspective from our discussion. Thanks!
Anyway, this argument is pointless and diverges from the original discussion. The person that asked the question did not even reply to us about his/her thoughts so I think this is all pointless unless he gains some sort of perspective from our discussion. Thanks!
that's a big yeppers ! but until he does, we have Ebay bashing ! heck i even buy razor blades from ebay... 30 fuzions w/ free shipping for $35 or 4 from wally-world for $16.
guitars...not-so-much anymore. although i wouldn't hesitate if i saw an Ovation that i liked.
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)
Quote by stepchildusmc
that's a big yeppers ! but until he does, we have Ebay bashing ! heck i even buy razor blades from ebay... 30 fuzions w/ free shipping for $35 or 4 from wally-world for $16.
guitars...not-so-much anymore. although i wouldn't hesitate if i saw an Ovation that i liked.
FWIW, I'm simply not into leaps of faith. Being left handed, it is fair to say I generally don't even have the opportunity to take them. So, we might be at moot point.

There is a big difference between a resident dealer on Ebay, and an individual with something to sell, and no ratings or transactions. Then too, my impressions of Ebay were formed many years ago, when it actually was, for the most part, exchanges P2P.

There's no harm in looking for a bargain. In fact, I'd think less of you if you didn't.

When I need an "extended inventory solution", I use the Amazon Marketplace. Since I believe, (for better or worse), that said marketplace is under the benevolent care and protection of Amazon proper.

There has been however, a massive data breech at Ebay, just recently. Whether or not you two were affected, I haven't a clue. But I do have enough information to suggest calculated caution in buying from Ebay, until you have reassurances that the danger has past. Or metaphorically, "Discretion is the better part of valor".

Since I don't shop on Ebay, I have no idea if any action, such as a password change, needs to be taken. I do know, "Target", is off my "places to spread my credit chard around list", for the foreseeable future.
Quote by Hence My Name
lol Captaincranky, you have a point. Why do you however have a need to attack me? We are all equal here so just chill for a bit. I'm new to forums, give me a chance to know the stuff alright? But yea, Musician's Friend is a reliable dealer. And sure, you have a point of saying not to deal with eBay.
Well, you'll get used to me, as I'm sure I'll get used to you. You come on fairly strong, so do I. Like poles tend to repel. It's a law of nature.

Quote by Hence My Name
In all honesty though, I'd prefer my purchases to be made in person. I bought a Lanikai LQA-C from eBay, for $115, free shipping...Musician's Friend have it at $249.00. I was kind of nervous, because there's no way they can sell it at this price but I took a stab at it. Came in perfectly set-up, ready from the get go, and no flaws on the finish. And you have feedback in the upper right hand corner for a reason, for reliability. The eBay seller I gave him had awesome feedback. (btw, the second link isn't working right.)
The used instrument side of the new instrument business is fairly ugly. Buy low, sell high, or maybe "sell too high". Plus the fact it doesn't keep pace with the price of new goods. This is particularly noticeable in the camera market, where you have a jumble new, refurbished, used and demo product. The used sector doesn't respond as quickly, and you wind up with prices for a used lens or body, way lower than new or refurbished articles of the same model(s).

And while Musician's Friend is a stellar source for new product, some of the used "bargains" they have listed, could in fact be worthy of BBB scrutiny.

Quote by Hence My Name
To be fair, all e commerce carries a certain type of risk. Musician's Friend eliminated that risk. Musician's Friend also sell at the lowest street price, so it's fair to say they have the best deals. But on rare occasions some other seller with a good reputation has the better deal, why not?
I haven't any gripe with this. But, luck and timing have too much say with the latter type of sale.

Usually, one or more of our posters will proffer the, "of course you can get more guitar for your money if you go used" . I doubt if I'd personally go past that observation, to the actual shopping aspect. Maybe I'm just lazy....

OTOH, you can't help but risk your reputation, if you recommend a deal that goes sideways. Or in ancient adage form, "you can lead a horse to water, and if he doesn't like the taste, he'll swear in court you held his head under". (Yes, (no need to ask), I am that cynical).

Quote by Hence My Name
Actually it isn't pointless. It's sort of "disappointing" when the TS doesn't return. But face it, they aren't really necessary in the furtherance of any high spirited discussion, on topic, or otherwise.
Ahahaha true, but my Lanikai was brand new. I guess I got lucky because it was an overstock. You are right, luck does come into play. Deal hunting isn't a talent either but a skill learned. I just want him to try to expand his choices a bit concerning his purchase options. I am frugal, if you can not tell :P

I would never recommend anyone from buying used in the internet though unless they know what they are doing because I do not have any experience buying used. Well, refurbished is a type of used object, but I consider it new because it has been set up and inspected and passed those. I bought a Nokia Lumia 920 refurbished, and my goodness, if there was no refurbished tag, I would have thought it was brand new!

Anyway, you are right. No need further discussion, it all depends on the TS from here. Cheers to you!