I wish guitar manufacturers would provide WEIGHT data. OK more strictly that's mass. BUT, I generally use guitar with laptop sitting down attempting various things and a compact light guitar is king for me. Another related question might be does a guitar have to be heavy to play well ie give good sustain etc? So much other detail is given eg type of frets, number of frets, type of tuners, brand of tuners . . . pickups . . . etc . . . So why not how much the thing weighs?
Sweetwater.com gives weight of each individual guitar they have online for sale. Check there.
Heard of the Fatfinger? Fender made a clamp that's attached to the headstock to add more sustain, depending on where you put it on the head. The weight and/or mass of the head changes the sustain, and a heavier body would lead to a warmer tone.
Because guitars have different weights. Two strats will weigh differently just like two LP's will weigh differently.
Quote by Soccerguy
Because guitars have different weights. Two strats will weigh differently just like two LP's will weigh differently.

Yup, pretty much this. The manufacturers don't supply the data because they just don't know. Most manufacturers just provide an average weight. Or maybe just some number they pulled out of their...er...the air.
The only time you're likely to get weight specifications is when it's an online shop that has a single guitar for sale (like one from a limited run that's the only one they are going to get), because wood varies so much in weight that they just can't give you an accurate specification if it's something they regularly keep in stock.

The tried and tested way of finding out if the weight of a guitar suits you is to try before you buy.. and buy the exact guitar that you were happy with - not a different guitar that's the same model.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Like Spud Spudly mentioned above; Sweetwater has the weight of each individual guitar as well as actual photos that you can compare to make your selection. Even if you don't want to order from them, it's a great reference tool. If you go to their site and compare a few identical models, you'll be surprised at the weight difference from guitar to guitar.
Thanks. U make the case as to why manufacturers can't provide the mass of a guitar with accuracy but a ball park figure (average weight?) would be nice especially, obviously, if having to buy online/mail order.
I doubt two Strats of the same wood are gonna vary by up to 1kg.
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
Quote by The Judist
I doubt two Strats of the same wood are gonna vary by up to 1kg.

Just by checking Sweetwater right now, I can tell you that's untrue. Different Stratocasters are varying between 7lbs, 10oz up to 8lbs, 5oz.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Quote by kangaxxter
Just by checking Sweetwater right now, I can tell you that's untrue. Different Stratocasters are varying between 7lbs, 10oz up to 8lbs, 5oz.
And how is that up to 1kg aka 2.2lb difference?
ZEN JUDDHISM
hybrid 6.0
I bought my American Standard from Sweetwater. 6 pounds, 11 ounces. The first time my tech picked it up his arm went way up in the air because he was expecting it to be heavier.
Quote by The Judist
And how is that up to 1kg aka 2.2lb difference?

If you can't feel the difference 11oz makes, than I seriously don't think you have any idea what you're talking about.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Quote by kangaxxter
If you can't feel the difference 11oz makes, than I seriously don't think you have any idea what you're talking about.

My statement in post #9 is correct.
You were incorrect in refuting it.
It's ok, I forgive you, you're young.

Was the range of Strat weights you mention the same wood type? If so, that's pretty crazy actually, I'll give you that.
ZEN JUDDHISM
hybrid 6.0
There's an ash strat on there now that's 8 lbs, 10 ounces. Mine is 6 and 11. So that's pretty close and I only checked a few. Weights can vary by a lot. Both american standards.
Two identical spec'ed guitars where the body was made from the same wood, but different boards can vary a great deal. One board could have been cut from outer area of the tree where the wood isn't as dense, and the next board could have been cut from an area towards the center where the wood is actually a little denser. This can happen even with two different boards cut from the same tree.
I have weighed my guitars (fishing scales) and had a look a sweetwater gallery. LPs which I personally find uncomfortable seem to be around 8.5 pounds. Strats, teles, SGs superstrats etc 7 to 8 pounds - lighter but still quite substantial. The guitar which I enjoy noodling with, a relatively inexpensive Shine WF-520, weighs only 6.8 pounds which I guess is on the lighter side of average (which I would suggest is around 7.5 lbs ). These are just my subjective impressions. Regards.
Quote by The Judist

Was the range of Strat weights you mention the same wood type? If so, that's pretty crazy actually, I'll give you that.

I wholeheartedly agree with you that it's crazy, but it is what it is.

Wood density is a big factor and so is water content.

The fact that the same quality guitars could have weight difference of kilo+ is the ultimate admission by the manufacturer that wood doesn't really mater with electric guitars