Hey guys!

I have an issue when recording. I am using a Audio Technica AT 2013 guitar microphone with a ART Tube MP preamp and my laptop.

When turning the recording quality in the laptop settings to 'studio quality' it adds a discreet static noise when recording. This static noise appears when when the mic is on and off.

How can I get rid of it? :/
Last edited by henkarisma at Jun 7, 2014,
Are you using an Interface?

If not, probably get an interface...

The static may be caused by the line in on your laptop being unbalanced and something (like a nearby mains lead for example) causing interference. Try recording using your laptop battery and keep away from mains.
Quote by henkarisma
Hey guys!

I have an issue when recording. I am using a Audio Technica AT 2013 guitar microphone with a ART Tube MP preamp and my laptop.
You need an audio interface, converters in stock computer sound cards suck.
Quote by henkarisma
When turning the recording quality in the laptop settings to 'studio quality' it adds a discreet static noise when recording.
You're just raising the input's sampling rate, which in your situation wouldn't really raise the quality.
Since the processing power there is low it's possible something's loosing quality somewhere because you're recording at too high of a sample rate.

Also what program are using to record, audacity?

Go into the recording forum, read the interfaces sticky, and download cockos' reaper trial.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by tim_mop
Are you using an Interface?

If not, probably get an interface...

The static may be caused by the line in on your laptop being unbalanced and something (like a nearby mains lead for example) causing interference. Try recording using your laptop battery and keep away from mains.

Hello! I tried it but the static noise still occurs ... DIdn't help..
Are you using an interface or not?
'cause if you're not that's probably the problem.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Ill try out the other advices and then I 'll let you guys know whether it worked or not
Quote by Spambot_2
Are you using an interface or not?
'cause if you're not that's probably the problem.

Sorry for such a stupid question BUT whats a interface.? Isnt the preamp a interface?
Last edited by henkarisma at Jun 8, 2014,
The ART tube preamp is not an interface so there is a really big piece missing from your recording setup. You will not get good recording quality until you start using one of these:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Audio-Interfaces-Recording.gc
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Jun 8, 2014,
Could you suggest a couple of interfaces priced around 70 $/ 50£/ 60€ from www.thomann.de?

Dont know anything about interfaces
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Quote by henkarisma
Thank you friend. Is the preamp necesarry if I have a audio interface?

Nope. If you are short on euros see if you can trade the tube preamp for a decent interface. Then you are golden.

Okey. I see. My mic needs phantom power, does the iinterface need phantom power as a feature? What Are the preamps Used for then? For playing through amps or?
Just make sure your interface has phantom power. Most modern ones do. The ART preamp is a nice piece if you are running into a recording console and you could keep it just to warm up your mic but without a decent interface it is useless.

That pre will probably sound better than whatever interface's pre's for that money, so if your budget's high enough go from the source to the pre, than to the interface and then to the computer.

Also read the interfaces sticky in this section.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by Cajundaddy
The ART preamp is a nice piece if you are running into a recording console and you could keep it just to warm up your mic but without a decent interface it is useless.

See above in bold. For ultra-cork-sniffing engineers who have the highest grade of 24/96 recording gear and a million $$ in mics, it might be worth keeping around. For a first time recorder still figuring out what an interface does, no use whatsoever.

Yes. Do you need one to get excellent recordings? No.

http://tweakheadz.com/microphone-preamps/

Last edited by Cajundaddy at Jun 8, 2014,
Before you invest in equipment, have you checked that wi-fi is turned off?
I had this irritating static click that drove me nuts, until I switched wi-fi off…
Quote by Cajundaddy
Yes. Do you need one to get excellent recordings? No.
You do need a pre if you wanna record stuff that's a lower level than line

Though you may as well use your audio interface's.
Good pre's make good stuff sound better, but they don't make bad stuff sound good, so first of all make sure you can record good stuff with basic equipment, then buy better stuff.

Also, read the interfaces sticky.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola