Ok so here is the deal i cant figure out if i should play guitar righty or lefty and i need some help. So when i play righty my strumming is vastly improved over my strumming left handed but my fretting hand is weak as can be its been 2 days and i still cant do a e minor to g major transition =(. On my left hand the strumming is a little bit weaker and the fretting is vastly improved my hands are a lot quicker on the left. I did the air guitar test and i was playing left handed i hear a lot of people just say go and learn righty if i stick at it will my fretting hand get stronger or will i just constantly struggle and end up having to play lefty anyway is it more important for your strumming hand or fretting hand to be strong i am so lost here .
I'd learn righty if I were you. I'm right handed, and my transitional chord placement on my fretting hand was really crappy to start off as well. If you're pretty much beginning, you're going to have one hand doing things better than the other no matter which direction you go, but practice will fix what's weakest. Right now strumming seems fairly easy -- but wait until you get to complicated picking and fingerstyle playing. Both hands will be stressed. There are a lot of folks out there who are ordinarily lefties who play righty, and a few of them are among the greatest guitarists on the planet (Neal Schon is one).

Most instrument players don't have a choice of "handedness" -- the instruments only play one way. Try a piano or a sax someday.

There's no benefit to playing leftie. But there IS a benefit to playing righthanded (every guitar on the planet is made in a right-handed configuration, only a very few in left).
this will turn into a shit throwing thread, but i have two brief comments.

i am left handed and play right handed.

there are more right handed guitars.

pick a way and stick with it. i remember when i play air guitar at 12 i was a lefty and when i bought my guitar their salesman suggested that i play righty. i looked into the shop and noticed (12 years old) the pretty guitars on the wall that cost several thousand and they were for the most part all right handed. made sense to me.

you got to pick a way and do it.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
thats is the main reason i wanted to go righty the lack of lefty guitars of the market plus the ones that are on the market are increased in price so practice will more then likely strengthen my fretting hand because right now it feels so weak and chord transitions are a total bitch but im willing to work through that if it pays off.
i also noticed some shoulder and wrist pain will that diminish as i get used to playing i have both a righty and lefty guitar but have mainly been using the right handed one struggling no doubt but still playing every day.
don't play both. pick. go righty and sell the lefty (also a negative harder to sell)
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
ive pretty much come to terms im gunna learn righty plus my fav guitar rickenbacker 325 Lennons model is a right handed guitar more motivation is the shoulder pain normal though because im not used to it cause my god my arm is sore so sore i dont even care about my fingers thats like light pain.
Quote by HeavyMetalhead7
ive pretty much come to terms im gunna learn righty plus my fav guitar rickenbacker 325 Lennons model is a right handed guitar more motivation is the shoulder pain normal though because im not used to it cause my god my arm is sore so sore i dont even care about my fingers thats like light pain.

good decision. just stick with it. you will be fine. i kind of think you are at advantage playing guitar with your dominant hand on the fretboard. typically it does more work. unless you are playing flamenco.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
see thats the weird thing my right hand is my dominant hand my left is weak as can be on the fretboard i use my right hand for everything i do i guess thats why it feels so strong strumming my left hand feels lost on the fretboard with a lot of playing it should break in though ive heard of people who have done it.
Wait you are right handed?
Then why is this discussion happening? Learn to play right handed, of course you won't be very good when you start, that will come with time.