Hi,

so here's my question. I really like the Peavey 6505+ 112 combo. It's got the powerful, chunky metal sound I need. But the problem is, I am living in an apartment and can't crank that thing up. The volume shouldn't be louder than a normal TV when I am practicing. Is it possible to turn down the Peavey's volume that much? And if so, does it still sound good at low volume?
Last edited by dismau at Jun 8, 2014,
It does have a volume knob but due to lack of global master volume its really sensitive and it ramps up really fast, but it is doable. You can always buy a passive volume box from ebay and put it in the FX Loop that acts like a master volume, makes adjusting volume easier. Plus less tone loss that can happen from having a single volume knob barely up at all.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
^ doesn't have a master volume?
It has two volume controls, one for each channel, that's even better than one master volume alone!
Or am I missing something?

Yeah, they say it gets better putting an EQ or a volume pedal or whatever pedal with a volume control in the fx loop and turning it down.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2
It has two volume controls, one for each channel, that's even better than one master volume alone!

Yeah, they say it gets better putting an EQ or a volume pedal or whatever pedal with a volume control in the fx loop and turning it down.

He was talking about global master volume. So that you would have channel volumes (which are also master volumes) plus a master volume that controls the overall volume.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by Spambot_2

I meant it it has single volume controls for both channels but no global master that controls both that you can use to tame the amp down. With only channel volumes to play with the volume ramps up if you just sneeze towards the amp.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Hmm, okay, I might get an Orange Dark Terror then because it has a built-in power soak.
You might also check Laney Ironheart 30w combo. Not as saturated and heavy as 6505 (more like dry razor) but similar and also comes with power soak, all the way down to 1w.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
I had it for a few years and it is not good for bedroom levels, sounds pretty bad. I used boss ns-2 to play at "TV" levels.
Quote by Reages
I had it for a few years and it is not good for bedroom levels, sounds pretty bad. I used boss ns-2 to play at "TV" levels.

That's not what a noise gate is for. A noise gate won't improve your bedroom tone. Actually a noise gate is pretty much only needed at higher volume levels because that's when you actually can hear the hum and noise coming from your amp (and it's so loud that it annoys you). A noise gate isn't on when you are playing. It's only on when you stop playing and that's when it mutes the noise.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Jun 8, 2014,
Buy an attenuator. I bought a Mesa Rectoverb while living in an apartment and even with a master volume, the tone wasn't all that good. Bought a Weber attenuator and the tone got much better. In my case, this was temporary (I bought a house a year layer), but keep in my mind that no matter what you do, it will never sound as good at bedroom as when you crank it up. It can sound good if you open up the tubes with an attenuator, but you will never be able to simulate speaker movement.
It's loud. Like really loud. But I use it in my bedroom, and I've got neighbours etc. I never have it past 1 tbh, but then I am running it through an ME-70
Quote by DirtyMakik
Listen to this man, he's got Alex in his avatar, he knows his sh!t.

Quote by dubstar92
awesome avatar dude

Wow a signature
Metal sound isn't really about power tube break up so attenuator isn't really going to do anything. If you are not after power tube break up, attenuator will be pretty much useless. Tube amps do sound good at lower volumes (of course not at whisper volumes, I'm talking about quieter than band practice volume). You don't need to crank your amp up to get a good sound. For example my Laney VC30 sounds good at bedroom volumes (volume knob at 1). Also, everything sounds better a bit louder. That's how our ears work.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
You have several options really. If you need/want an amp, i strongly recommend putting an MXR 10 band EQ in the loop.

If you only need / want silent practice look into one of the newer POD units.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by helies
Buy an attenuator. I bought a Mesa Rectoverb while living in an apartment and even with a master volume, the tone wasn't all that good. Bought a Weber attenuator and the tone got much better. In my case, this was temporary (I bought a house a year layer), but keep in my mind that no matter what you do, it will never sound as good at bedroom as when you crank it up. It can sound good if you open up the tubes with an attenuator, but you will never be able to simulate speaker movement.

An attenuator won't do jack. The 6505+ does not sound better by getting power tube distortion. In fact, it's damn-near impossible to get power-tube breakup on that amp (I've tried -- ears couldn't take it past 6 on post gain, still no breakup).

Of course you can't mimic speaker movement at lower volumes, and that's why it starts to sound better when pushed a little.

I have tried using my MXR 10-band EQ in the loop to see if I can get "cranked" tone at lower volumes -- to my ears there is no difference (that said, an EQ in the loop is practically a must, for tone-tweaking reasons). Howerver, using an EQ with a volume and gain slider like the MXR does allow you to adjust your volume using the slider, which is less sensitive than the amp's post gain knob. That way, you won't have it set for TV volumes, cough, and suddenly it's at concert volume.

The best way to get better tone at lower volumes with the 6505+ 112 is to run a boost up front. Anything TS-like will do the job. I run a TS-9. It really takes away the muddiness that you get at lower volumes. Though I have the option to run my rig cranked pretty much whenever I want, I don't dislike the tone I get at low, even TV volumes.

TS, if you like that amp, it will work at low volumes and still sound great. Another thing that helps is to angle it up at your face so the speaker is pointed right at you. It will sound better and louder (to you) without having to be cranked.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Last edited by KailM at Jun 8, 2014,
Quote by MaggaraMarine
That's not what a noise gate is for. A noise gate won't improve your bedroom tone. Actually a noise gate is pretty much only needed at higher volume levels because that's when you actually can hear the hum and noise coming from your amp (and it's so loud that it annoys you). A noise gate isn't on when you are playing. It's only on when you stop playing and that's when it mutes the noise.

Whoops, i meant boss ML-2.
Quote by MaggaraMarine
Metal sound isn't really about power tube break up so attenuator isn't really going to do anything. If you are not after power tube break up, attenuator will be pretty much useless. Tube amps do sound good at lower volumes (of course not at whisper volumes, I'm talking about quieter than band practice volume). You don't need to crank your amp up to get a good sound. For example my Laney VC30 sounds good at bedroom volumes (volume knob at 1). Also, everything sounds better a bit louder. That's how our ears work.

+1

I find an overdrive used as a boost really helps with saturation at low volumes.

Though whether it'll help enough for super-low apartment volumes, I dunno.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
yeah get an overdrive that will help. there are certain elements of sound that don't come out at low volumes but if you are just practicing at home that shouldn't be that big of a deal. I use both my Valveking and Ultra at home (townhouse with neighbors) all the time without pissing people off. while both amps sound better at band volumes the tones I get at more reasonable levels are fine. keep in mind that you have to change your eq some at different sound levels.