ben deebz
40 IQ
i really miss playing piano now that im flatting and having an easy alternative to add variety to just playing guitars guitars,
i dont really have the space for an acoustic piano nor is having one a viable option when moving around every year or two so i was considering investing in an electronic one so i could have portability and something a bit easier to handle sizewize and want to know if anyones got any recommendations. id prefer something with more of a piano playing style, ive played a few keyboards type setups with weighted keys but playing the instrument still seems kinda "plasticy" or "fake" i realise beggars cant be choosers but at the same time id rather not fork out heaps for something i dont really like playing ya know?

any reccomendations
KG6_Steven
Eats ponies for breakfast
1,108 IQ
You don't mention your budget, but I would recommend the Korg Kronos X. It has the weighted key bed and the pianos are fantastic. I have owned the Kronos X 88 for just over a year and really like it a lot. US price on the Korg is about $4k.

I am also getting ready to buy a Nord Stage 2 HA88. Another weighted key bed and some awesome pianos. Nice thing about the Nord is their sound library is totally free, unlike the Korg. US price on the Nord is about $4500.
bigblockelectra
20 IQ
"Beggars can't be choosers" means OP is most likely not going to purchase a top of the line synth/workstation model as listed.

Do you need 88 keys?
Are you getting it just for a piano sound?

If you need a convincing piano-action keybed, then you are going to have to pay more for that. I don't really care about key action. I have an old velocity-sensitive Roland E-30 that has been pounded on for the last 25 years, so feeling cheap doesn't necessarily mean it will break.

I would do some research online and search for older keyboards...You can find yesterday's state of the art Kurzweil, Roland, Yamaha, Korg, etc for a hell of a lot cheaper....older digital sometimes means dealing with slower hardware, but that really isn't an issue. From what I have seen online like Craigslist, you can find older top-end gear from some of the above companies for around $1000.

If you are looking for something around $300-$400, you have less to choose from if you are going to be picky.
Last edited by bigblockelectra at Jun 9, 2014,
KG6_Steven
Eats ponies for breakfast
1,108 IQ
"but at the same time id rather not fork out heaps for something i dont really like playing ya know?" tells me that buying a better keyboard isn't out of the question, provided it plays well.

Still, would've been nice to have a budget range.
bigblockelectra
20 IQ
Quote by Ignore
i would probably suck off 20 guys for a fender Rhodes

?

If instead you mowed their lawns, you could probably buy one instead...
haniya11
10 IQ
If really you have low budget only, it is not wrong to have an electronic one, but may I suggest Yamaha Digital Piano because it had graded hammer. Its sounds might not be as rich as upright but it is just allright.