So I just installed a set of Grover locking tuners (Mini-Rotomatic 406c) on my guitar. After playing for a bit, I snapped the high E string while playing. Figured it was the old strings, so I restrung it and got back to playing but snapped the high E string again. Both times the string broke right at the tuner. Did not have this issue with the stock tuners my guitar came with. Anyone know the solution to this? Thanks.
Quote by IMTHAMAN01013
I named my guitar after my GF once... It was tempremental, the neck was too fat, and I couldn't turn down the volume, just like her...
My Brian Moore i9 with the Grover tuners did the same thing. I had to disassemble the tuner and polish the lock pin because it had a burr on it that would cut into the string, causing it to break under tension.
Quote by stringDIA
My Brian Moore i9 with the Grover tuners did the same thing. I had to disassemble the tuner and polish the lock pin because it had a burr on it that would cut into the string, causing it to break under tension.

The problem with mine is that it doesn't seem to be truly "snapping", it's more like as if it just popped out. Anyway, how would I go about fixing this?
Quote by IMTHAMAN01013
I named my guitar after my GF once... It was tempremental, the neck was too fat, and I couldn't turn down the volume, just like her...
The smaller gauge strings will have a tendency to pull out once and a while with brand new units. You can pull it apart and lightly scuff the top of the pin to get some more bite, resist the urge to crank it down or you may ruin the tuner. I'm assuming the string is a .009? You could try to take a piece of wound string like your low E and run it over the top of the pin to scuff it a bit or try swapping the two E string tuners.
Quote by stringDIA
The smaller gauge strings will have a tendency to pull out once and a while with brand new units. You can pull it apart and lightly scuff the top of the pin to get some more bite, resist the urge to crank it down or you may ruin the tuner. I'm assuming the string is a .009? You could try to take a piece of wound string like your low E and run it over the top of the pin to scuff it a bit or try swapping the two E string tuners.

Yup, using 9's. So do you mean taking a low E string and running it through the hole to smooth it out?
Quote by IMTHAMAN01013
Yes but you would be lightly roughing up the top of the pin surface to create a bit of bite instead of smoothing it up. It's too smooth right now, so the string will slip out. If the tuners aren't height compensated just swap the two E string tuners and see if that works.
i run my e and b strings through the tuner hole a second time....solves the problem
Bending unwound strings on locking tuners can create burrs in the post. I wrap the unwound strings around the post two or three times. This spreads the tension out so the burrs don’t form.