Sorry for my English
I don't really like metal channel on Peavy 6505+ combo 112, it is more classic tone.
I need to do something like that:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLd6h5td8G4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMcWJZweha4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDwTgmVvjDs
What can i do it with my Peavy combo? Maybe i need some pedals? Please help me. Thank you.
Last edited by bosscs at Jun 8, 2014,
Find yourself a tube screamer type pedal - the digitech bad monkey or the GFS greenie or something of that sort, set it with the gain to 0 or so, the volume maxed and the tone to taste, then don't scoop the mids on the amp and see how you like the thing.

Also swapping the stock speaker with a v30 or a v30 clone (from wgs and so on) or a k100 or an eminence v12 would greatly improve the tone.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Tubescreamer type pedal first as said. A cheap one like Bad Monkey will do. Level max, gain off and from low to moderate gain on amplifier. Instant tight modern -core tone. 6505 is a midrange heavy amp but still dont scoop them.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by bosscs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8bMhhnfBME
In this video what did he use? peavey 6505 and ibanez ts9? Thats all? That is the Tubescreamer type pedal? I really don't know what exactly pedal i need to use.
Digitech bad monkey
GFS greenie
What better?
Or maybe ibanez ts9?

Ibanez TS9 is a tubescreamer, one of the originals. Thats what the TS stands for, Tubescreamer. A lot of overdrive pedals simply copied the design, with a little changes here and there (like Bad Monkey has an EQ instead of Tone knob) but essentially deep down are the same thing and the end result is very similar.

What TS pedal does, when cranked in volume and gain turned off, is drive the amp harder and cut some bass frequencies from your guitar before it gets distorted so there is less mud. It also gives a midrange hump that makes it growl more after distortion.

Just get a Bad Monkey because its cheap and well built. You can try out different OD's later but to get an idea what the effect is going to be Bad Monkey will do it well and for cheap.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Jun 8, 2014,
Thank you all for help, but i have some more questions:
What word "cranked" meens? Turn control to max?
I have money for ts9 and bad monkey and GFS greenie. I can buy ts9 if it's better. It is better?
Cranked is max.

Yes, just go ahead and buy the TS9.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by bosscs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMx8p5u99jg
This is really great sound! Better that i've ever hear.
He used Maxon OD808 & Boss NS-2.
Maxon OD808 is the TS? How can i now what pedal is the tubescreamer and what no?
Boss NS-2 what do he do?

Boss NS-2 is a noise gate, to cut the background noise when you are not playing and minimize feedback. Nothing directly to do with improving sound, just cutting the shit out.

Maxon OD808 is another Tubescreamer type of pedal. Rule of thumb, if the pedal is overdrive and its colored green, there is a very high chance that its based on Ibanez TS, if not direct 1:1 clone.

Personally I think buying an Ibanez or Maxon is a waste of money when you can get essentially the same thing (and maybe even improved version) for less, especially for home use. Unless you find one used for really nice price that is.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by bosscs
Maxon OD808 is the TS? How can i now what pedal is the tubescreamer and what no?
Yeah, the OD808 is a tube screamer.
There's not a specific set of features that make a pedal a tube screamer other than being a copy or a derivation of the original tube screamer, so you gotta learn the list if you wanna know what pedals are tube screamers.
Quote by bosscs
Boss NS-2 what do he do?
That's a noise gate.

A noise gate is half of an expander, which is a device that makes quieter the stuff that's below a certain level and makes louder the stuff that's over a certain level.
With a complete expander you can usually set both of these levels.

What a noise gate does in substance is lowering the volume of the signal when you're not playing so that it cuts the noise present in the signal.

I second not getting an ibanez or maxon tube screamer - they don't do anything more than the copies.
The best I've found is the GFS greenie, which for $50 or so gives you three different tube screamer circuits.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Last edited by Spambot_2 at Jun 8, 2014,
The various Visual Sound OD pedals- Jekyll & Hyde, Double Trouble, etc.- are (supposedly) all TS variants, and range from @$90 used to $150 new. They're well made, too.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
+1 on a ts-type pedal

i'm guessing a better speaker wouldn't hurt either, but get the ts first
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Tubescreamers. Something so simple, yet so complicated. You will never get anyone to agree on one specific pedal.

I would put a V30 or Governor in the 6505+ 112.

I still haven't opened up my new PRS 212 to see exactly what's inside it.

Been tempted by the EVH 212 and dual cabbing it.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
How can i exactly know what pedals and amps used in each song that i like? Can i somehow know that? For example this songs in my first post...
Well you can look around the internet, for example searching "as I lay dying guitar gear" on google, but that wouldn't be of much help: the stuff in songs is mixed, the sound there is different from the sound coming out of the speakers connected to the amp, so even with the same gear and settings you'd sound different.

The idea would be having an idea of how amps sound, so you can get an amp that does well the kinda stuff that you want to do, even if it's not exactly the amp used by that band on that song.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Yeah. Trying to absolutely nail a tone is normally a hiding to nothing. But you can get close, and you often don't need the exact same gear, just similar, to get there. The tubescreamer is actually a pretty good example of that- a ton of ODs are based on TSes and most of them do more or less the same thing. If you're trying to sound like someone who uses a ts808 and you're tearing your hair out because you only have a ts9, the gear probably isn't the problem.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I've bought this pedal:
maxon od808
Pedal doesn't change almost anything. I have not received sound what i need! Just little more gain.
http://youtu.be/DZM0E8uS7Js
Looks like i will need to sell this amps and pedals and buy guitar processor for myself
yeah that's what a tubescreamer does. that sounds pretty heavy to me once you have it turned on
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
You have both your gain and volume all the way up. You should only have volume up, gain all the way down. Tone lower than half I'd say, just because the 6505+ combo is kind of bright.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by dementiacaptain
You have both your gain and volume all the way up. You should only have volume up, gain all the way down. Tone lower than half I'd say, just because the 6505+ combo is kind of bright.

I should both gain down? What exactly i need to do? I have max PRE on my peavy, is it right? PRE max om 6505, Drive min on pedal?
Now i hear, that sound have more sustain with this pedal, that's good
^ yeah in some ways it's quite subtle, but once you realise what's actually happening, it's pretty sweet. Yeah sustain will be better, pinches will jump out better, it'll feel more saturated.

You could also try turning your preamp gain down on the peavey. you won't notice much difference if it's already saturated. try turning the preamp gain on the peavey down to say 5 and then you might hear more of a difference with the tubescreamer.

Quote by bosscs
Yesh, that's sounds pretty heavy, but it doesn't sound like
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMx8p5u99jg
this video.

what pickups are you using? he seems to be using EMGs.

Also are you still using the stock speaker? I'm guessing that orange 1x12 cab he has has a vintage 30 in it.

Quote by dementiacaptain

he seems to have the gain down and the volume up? at the start of the vid it looks like they're both up, but when he's actually playing he seems to be doing it right.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jun 13, 2014,
Quote by bosscs
I've bought this pedal:
maxon od808
Pedal doesn't change almost anything. I have not received sound what i need! Just little more gain.
http://youtu.be/DZM0E8uS7Js
Looks like i will need to sell this amps and pedals and buy guitar processor for myself

What? A 6505 is The Metal Amp. You should just learn to use your amp because it is pretty much made for heavy tones.

Tweak your EQ settings. Start with everything at 12 o'clock and listen. Heavy sound isn't all about gain. Acutally turn your gain down. Pre gain at full can be way overkill. It will just make your sound muddy. You won't have any clarity. Turn your gain down until your tone loses the heaviness and then turn the gain up just a little. Now you have enough gain.

Why you won't get the same sound as on the video is because recorded sound is different than the sound coming out of your speakers. Also, I think the video you posted uses overdubbing. He has recorded two rhythm guitars playing the same thing to achieve a bigger sound - that's not just one guitar playing, there are several guitar tracks. This can't be achieved with just one amp. Bedroom tone is not going to sound as good as the whole band playing.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Jun 13, 2014,