What's up guys, this is my first time posting to these forums since I just joined ultimate guitar. I want to start out my post by giving a little back story about myself in an effort to get clear answers for questions that I have. First off I have been playing guitar for a year and four months so I'm still a newb but not brand new. I taught myself for exactly one year before I decided to take lessons at the best music school in my area. Luckily, when I signed up for lessons I was placed with the owner of the school who is an incredible jazz guitarist (berklee graduate, has played with Steve via, john petrucci, and has played for 50+ years).

After taking lessons with him for about 4 months I realized how much time it is going to take me to become the guitarist that I want to become. However lately I have been really depressed feeling as if I will never become the player that I want to be, or achieve my goals as an artist. I always seem to mess up on simple rifts/songs that I have practiced over and over, and practicing books/theory is the same as well. Ultimately I would love to go to berklee school of music to develop myself as an artist.

I play acoustic and electric and try to play both equally. Typically I will play for 2-3 hours a day and I keep a very consistent practice schedule. Usually I will practice berklee books for a couple hours a day as well as theory practice (scales, keys, chords etc) My questions are: is it normal for the average guitarist to feel this way after a year of playing? Do I have any chance of getting into berklee with only a few years of dedicated practice? Is it normal to mess up A LOT and not be very accurate or consistent with playing after one year?

Sorry to make it so long and I hope I made this post clear! Basically I'm just really struggling with feeling as if I'm wasting my time even though I absolutely love everything about music. The weird thing is I always considered myself musically inclined on previous instruments (percussion) but now I'm not sure if I really am : /. Thanks in advance
Last edited by andman342 at Jun 8, 2014,
Quote by andman342
is it normal for the average guitarist to feel this way after a year of playing?

Very. playing an instrument well takes a lot of time and a lot of practice.A year and a few months is no time at all, even at 2 hours a day.

Quote by andman342
Do I have any chance of getting into berklee with only a few years of dedicated practice?

That's completely up to you. If you don't feel you're progressing fast enough to reach that goal you can do things to change how you practice and how quickly you learn. I think if you are deep set in attending berklee then you can do it. But you might have to sacrifice a lot for that to work.

Quote by andman342
Is it normal to mess up A LOT and not be very accurate or consistent with playing after one year?

Yes yes yes. Even after playing for the better part of ten years I still make stupid mistakes for no apparent reason. If you're making silly mistakes usually it's because you either aren't concentrating on what it is you're doing, or that you don't actually know what it is you're doing. Thankfully you can fix both of those really easily.

Know that when you get in front of people nerves can make a huge difference as well so try your hardest not to get stressed and learn how to play through mistakes.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
The simple fact is that it takes work. The people who are great are like that because they've spent years and years practicing their asses off. It does like years. Just keep at it.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
what you need is a new amp.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Being a great musician requires a lot more dedication than a measly year.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Being a great musician requires a lot more dedication than a measly year.

This.

If you are practicing consistently and as dedicated as you say you are, you'll be fine. Just be patient. Keep it up and you'll develop into a good guitarist.
Whatever you want to be, stop wasting wasting time and energy philosophizing on "am i good " and just shut up and get good.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by ErikLensherr

Are you sure that isn't a quote from Khrushchev?
Quote by Duffman123
and start again

make punk music

really though dont do this

Quote by Duffman123

Do those bis and tris lie? Will Smith knows building walls.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by Duffman123
why tho

cause u either end up wearing tight black clothes full of zippers&buckles&patches&bullshit or loose blue jeans and t-shirts from skateboard companies, both of which are unacceptable.

Quote by MinterMan22
cause u either end up wearing tight black clothes full of zippers&buckles&patches&bullshit or loose blue jeans and t-shirts from skateboard companies, both of which are unacceptable.

aw man tight black clothing is awesome. Means you can hide away from all those evil corporations and old conservative fogies and take heroin and learn three chords on your guitar
Quote by Duffman123

the quote is definitely from confusius

he said that when the emperor wanted to build the great wall
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
I remember when I first started playing guitar 16 years ago and trying to play like my idols (Al Di Meola, Eric Johnson, Satriani, Vai, Jeff Beck etc. etc.) and just dreaming of being that good. After about 2 years of playing (almost 8 hours a day) I finally decided to attempt to learn an Eric Johnson song. Now, this was before I had internet access and whatnot, so it was all an attempt by ear(it was Cliffs of Dover). After 3 or so hours, I literally broke and cried. I fealt like I had failed myself and my expectations. Rather than giving up, I said to myself, 'You CAN do this!!! It might not be in a year. It might not be in 10 but, it WILL happen, god damnit!'.

Ever since that day, I never set a time line or a due date for this talent to suddenly arrive in to my life. I worked for it and, by god, I've achieved it. Had I known I'd be playing with the ability that I am today, I would've done things differently that would've screwed up the way I progressed.
Will you be good in 1 or 5 OR 10 years? That's all up to you. You seem to have a good practice schedule/regimen...that's exactly what you need.

Only YOU will hold yourself back. Jam with other musicians, too. That always helps. Find some players that you can hangout with to keep yourself constantly aquainted with your passion for playing and music in general. Don't focus on who's better than who or if you're "better" than someone else. You'll find once you drop any ego-attachment that, music is much more enjoyed when you have an immense presence of unity rather than competition. Because, isn't that what it's all about?

Just some food for thought, ts.

Oh, and don't squander a talent through inaction and laziness/procrastination like I have.
There's no point in worrying about it or getting depressed as there are always going to be musicians who are better than you.

It's a great idea to try and find people to jam with regularly as you'll either be a lot better than them, just as good, or want to practice more to try and match them.

Also you've only been playing for a short time- most guitarists only know basic songs by then; but you already have a regular practice schedule which a lot of guitarists only begin to do after say 2 years of playing.

Maybe try learning a few simpler songs as well as learning the more complicated stuff? That way at least you'll feel you've accomplished more quickly instead of slaving over the harder stuff for months/years?

Also learning a lot of theory after only playing for a short period of time can make everything seem overbearing and you may give up- maybe try spacing the theory side of things out over time?
Too many people look at it as a competition or something, like you have to be the best ever or whatever, especially the kids that just start out. When they start realizing the difficulty, they start falling off. The only really thing you have to decide is whether or not it's fun and worth it or you just want to be able to shred for the wrong reasons (fame, whatever). If it's not fun, if it's not something worth busting your ass on, you'll never be happy.

Though, you'll never be at a point where you'll be happy, the better you get, the more you realize you need to learn. You just need to learn to be happy just playing what you can without letting what you don't know make you all self-conscious and shit. Music isn't a competition, no one judges you for being a newbie and no one will even look at you in a negative light unless you're trying to show off or something.

I'm generally much more impressed with my neighbor who mainly plays chords on an acoustic guitar with him attempting other stuff than I am with the kinda guys that just go sit at guitar center and play some sweeps trying to get attention or whatever. He goes for it, enjoys himself and everyone else does to.

Just play for yourself, make yourself happy, anything else isn't important and isn't going to help or get you anywhere.
I've been playing for 15 years and I still get these feelings....just keep practicing man, it's all we can do.
Start recording yourself playing, even if it's just audio, even if it's just two minutes, even if it's once every couple of months. Don't listen to the recordings.

Then, the next time you feel you aren't progressing, or you're never going to get better, listen to some of your old recordings, laugh, and immediately feel better about your playing.

I started doing this about fifteen months after I started playing, and while I'm no virtuoso, it's humbling to see how far I've progressed from those early days.
I said that great thing. **** Will Smith.

TS: Practice and stop getting despondent. You're new, you'll be new for a long time, but then one day you won't be, but that's only going to happen if you keep practicing, and practice properly.

But don't forget to have fun, and join a band.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Much insprational words from Vai himself:

"The only thing that's holding you back is the way you're thinking."
Don't be like me man. I starting thinking that way after about 2 years in and let that question take hold of me. Now because of that, I'm the exact same guitarist I was 3 years ago, if not worse, and have lost all will to play guitar, please don't do the same thing I did.

Tell that question to go **** it's face, it's only going to hold you back. This is something of a defining moment in a musicians journey, if you can get past this bump, then you have what it takes to be the musician you want to be.
Quote by Jimjambanx
Don't be like me man. I starting thinking that way after about 2 years in and let that question take hold of me. Now because of that, I'm the exact same guitarist I was 3 years ago, if not worse, and have lost all will to play guitar, please don't do the same thing I did.

Tell that question to go **** it's face, it's only going to hold you back. This is something of a defining moment in a musicians journey, if you can get past this bump, then you have what it takes to be the musician you want to be.

RT brudda

it's like a mid-life crisis but with learning guitar
Quote by Thrashtastic15
take it one shift at a time play your game and keep working hard eh

inspirational :'-)

You feel you'll never be good enough? That's normal. Next patient.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day