Hey people, On of my friend's kids got his first guitar the other day for his 10th birthday. I offered to help teach him some of the basics and maybe learn a couple songs. I'm not the best guitarist myself but I find I learn everything better if I'm teaching it. I'm not terrible either though and can learn whatever songs he picks out.

I'm just curious what some songs are that you guys had a lot of fun with when you were just starting. I know when I was ten I got so sick of Ode to Joy and MAry had a Little Lamb. This kid wants to rock. He's into Metalocalypse and Metallica and stuff like that. What can we start this guy on so he doesn't give up because he's not playing what he wants to?
I taught a 9 year old boy last month and I started with nursery rhymes since the chords were easy. He was bored and wanted to play modern songs. Unfortunately, the song he wants use barred chords. He liked the song "I'd like to teach the world to sing" though, even if it was his first time to learn it. I'm interested as well in knowing what songs others teach to kids learning guitars.
easiest chord for a beginner is probably Em (ive tried C D G with complete beginners, but it would only frustrate them)
So the first song I teach a beginner is A horse with no name (link here with chords http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaFPU9WrnW8)

I usually teach them Eleanor rigby after and Whiskey in the jar (Thin Lizzy, acoustic guitar part)
Used To Love Her by Guns 'n' Roses has a nice easy chord progression
Take a listen to the two things you named and look for ways to simplify what's there so it's more easily playable; turn awkward chord riffs in to single note passages that follow the chords and things like that. The kid's probably not going to be keeping up with Master Of Puppets or Battery any time soon but there's nothing at all wrong with taking something like The Thing That Should Not Be and simplifying it.

You've already got the right idea with doing something to keep the kid interested with their favourite music, I think you just need to adapt what they do to something that the kid can do, which is simple enough really.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Power chords are fairly simple, so teach him something like Knocking on Heavens Doors.

If that's too complicated, try teaching him melodies first, without chords. Like riffs. Enter Sandman is easy.

Smoke on the Water is EVERYBODY'S FIRST SONG! Teach him that.

Twinkle Twinkle and similar children songs are also a good choice.

And teach him E minor and A major/A minor and tell him to practice changing between these chords.
Quote by realsmoky
Smoke on the Water is EVERYBODY'S FIRST SONG! Teach him that.

Please don't. Babies are born, having never heard a song in their lives, already bored of that god damned riff.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Please don't. Babies are born, having never heard a song in their lives, already bored of that god damned riff.

Haters gonna hate.
First of all, a 10 year old does not listen to Twinkle Twinkle Little Star or other similar songs, at least not where I live.
The most important is to keep him entertained, if he is motivated by a slightly more difficult piece that he likes, just go for it and guide him.
If he is a complete begginer, something like the first melody introduced in "Nothing Else Matters" would be fine. He would probably be motivated by playing something he likes.
It might seem easy since it's just open strings, but fingerpick it and make sure he stays on time.