Hey! I have recently been searching for a tube amp to upgrade from my Vox AD50. I just find that it isn't loud enough for me and doesn't have enough dynamics (e.g. I put a boost pedal through it and it won't do anything). I have a fender mustang floor unit and a few other pedals chucked on top of that so I would prefer to have an amp without effects and to have as flat a base eq as possible. I alternate between running a MIM Fender Stratocaster and a B.C Rich Mockingbird. I would really appreciate it if I could get some recommendations on some (all) tube amps that are under one grand.

Thanks
Liam
There like...so many for under a grand. You really have to be more specific.

Budget? - What is practical for you and what is your limit?

Genres? - What style do you play mostly, fav guitarists, do you need cleans, etc?

New or Used? - Lots of great amps out there used, especially in a down economy.

Home or Gig? - Also important. Maybe you do both. Jamming with a drummer can be considered 'gigging' but you won't have a PA etc.

Closest City? - We aren't here to stalk you but we need to know where you are in the world roughly and we can help further if we know what city you are in (ie craigslist, local shops, Guitar Center used section, etc)

Current Gear? - Also good for us to know.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Budget is under a grand...

Genre: Genre doesn't matter in terms of amp because all I want is a really simple tube amp, fairly flat tone/eq with just Bass, mid, treble, volume controls because I will get the other tones via pedals. But I am going for John Mayer clean tone and it needs to be loud enough for gigging. Preferably around 30watt due to the fact that it will be easier to carry around.

New/Used?: I don't mind whether it is new or used.

Home/Gigging?: I gig

Closest City?: Brisbane

Current gear is stated but here it is;
Vox AD50 for my amp

Pedals;
Fender Mustang floor
Boss SD-1
Way Huge Electronics - Swollen Pickle
Vox Wah

Guitars;
MIM Fender Stratocaster (stock)
B.C. Rich Mockingbird Pro X (stock)

Thanks for your time
Last edited by taylorliam23 at Jun 9, 2014,
For a loud, clean sound for John Mayer and the like, i'd recommend the Fender Blues Deluxe, really has a great fender clean tone, and takes pedals very nicely apparently (only tried it once). A bit warmer than the Hotrod Deluxe. Can be had very cheap too on the second hand market.

I've never lifted one however, so i don't know how heavy it is.

Another option is a Fender Deluxe Reverb, basically THE fender amp, perfectly suited for pedals and the like.

Might be worth scouring the local used market for the best vintage fender you can.
Vintage Fender amps will be hard to come by in the used Aussie market for a grand or under. You're best off looking for a second hand Blues Deluxe, Deluxe Reverb or a Peavey Classic 50.

Gumtree is probably your best bet. Make sure to try it out with your gear to be certain you like it as well.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Quote by Eppicurt
Vintage Fender amps will be hard to come by in the used Aussie market for a grand or under. You're best off looking for a second hand Blues Deluxe, Deluxe Reverb or a Peavey Classic 50.

Gumtree is probably your best bet. Make sure to try it out with your gear to be certain you like it as well.

Woah, sorry, missed that you were over in aus, yeh, check Gumtree for a Blues Deluxe/Deluxe Reverb, I know it's pretty expensive down that way.
I had a Peavey Classic 30,Sold it,It was loud!Never got it beyond 2 at home and even that was too loud.
Deluxe Reverb/Hot rod Deluxe.

Plenty loud, sound great, 40-50 lbs. I have gigged with both but over 5 yrs with the Hot Rod. Great amps. One of the most toneful guitarists on earth, Michael Landau uses both live. I saw him last night at the Hollywood Bowl running through his Deluxe Reverb and Dumble with Steve Gadd.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Jun 9, 2014,
There's really no reason to *not* have fx on your amp. Just turn them off. It's really that easy.

That being said, look at pretty much any tube combo that's around 30 watts. Found about 30 at Guitar Center; probably 50 if you're fine with buying used. Vox, ENGL, Marshall, Orange, Egnater, and Fender are brands to look at.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification