Ok, my Carvin ST has an issue where it just keeps going out of tune. I had it set up and maintained and cleaned and what not about 6 months ago and it played very well, however it just keeps going out of tune, particularly the low E string, the high E string and the B string. Now I'm not a gentle player but I'm not Zakk Wylde either, she's setup with 9's right now and at the beginning it wasn't an issue, could my low string guage be causing her to go out of tune?
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Jackson/Charvel Star W/ Custom Graphics.
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

Tutorial: Studio Quality Programmed Drum Sounds
How hard do you typically strum? Because if you strum too hard, you can knock the strings out of tune. That wouldn't be your guitar's fault; it'd be your fault.

I'm not trying to accuse you or anything. Just something to think about.
I don't think it would be because you strum too hard.

I don't know anything about the guitar. Could it have cheap tuning pegs?
Quote by JustGuitar98

I don't know anything about the guitar. Could it have cheap tuning pegs?

No. They usually come with Sperzel lockers.
Quote by RBM01991
Ok, my Carvin ST has an issue where it just keeps going out of tune. I had it set up and maintained and cleaned and what not about 6 months ago and it played very well, however it just keeps going out of tune, particularly the low E string, the high E string and the B string. Now I'm not a gentle player but I'm not Zakk Wylde either, she's setup with 9's right now and at the beginning it wasn't an issue, could my low string guage be causing her to go out of tune?

9's and 10's are normal for that guitar. You might want to lube your nut. What kind of headstock do you have on the ST (for the uninitiated, you can get several optional headstocks on a Carvin ST)?
Your string is either slipping at the nut or at the bridge. If you have a locking nut, check the saddles aren't worn down and letting the string slip. If that's the case you can swap the low and high saddles.

If you use ball-end strings check that the top 3 strings aren't slipping and unwinding from around the ball. On my guitar I have to cut the ball end off and tighten the bridge saddles down onto the string with an allen key.

Another simple trick is to yank on the slack of the strings past the tuning pegs a bit when you string the guitar. There's a lot of slack wound around the tuning pegs when you first set them up, so pulling around on the slack will help tighten it up so that won't happen while you're playing. Obviously don't pull so hard you break the string or hurt yourself, just pull on them, tune, pull on them some more, tune again. You'll be able to hear the string change in pitch as you pull.
Quote by JustGuitar98

It actually could be.

The idea isn't to strum the hell out of your strings. Only pick as hard or soft as you need.
I've got a Floyd Rose w/ locking nut and Sperzel Locking tuners, I think I figured it out though. I went to Guitar Center yesterday and I tried to play on another guitar with a floyd...and the same thing happened, but after I retuned, didn't go out of tune again. I think my own technique is to blame. Any suggestions? I can't seem to get the sound I want out of my guitar unless I strum it or pick it somewhat hard.
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

Quote by RBM01991
I've got a Floyd Rose w/ locking nut and Sperzel Locking tuners, I think I figured it out though. I went to Guitar Center yesterday and I tried to play on another guitar with a floyd...and the same thing happened, but after I retuned, didn't go out of tune again. I think my own technique is to blame. Any suggestions? I can't seem to get the sound I want out of my guitar unless I strum it or pick it somewhat hard.

Get a Strat with a normal bridge and put a heavy set of strings on - problem solved. If you're a heavy handed player you should get a guitar that can handle it. Anything with a Floyd Rose is going to be problematic.
Quote by RBM01991
I can't seem to get the sound I want out of my guitar unless I strum it or pick it somewhat hard.

Change your technique. This is an electric guitar. You can get more dynamics out of an amplifier that has lower (or zero) negative feedback (tube amps only). But you can get nearly any sound you want out of your guitar without beating the hell out of it. You just need to learn to do it.
I'm not so sure your technique is entirely to blame. The whole point of a locking nut is to retain tuning with any kind of crazy tremolo shenanigans or harsh playing. With a locking nut your strings should never move, only stretch. But they only stretch so much until they become fairly stable and would only need fine tuning every so often during a practice session.

I play 9's and I very often bend my top 3 strings a major 4th, two whole steps. I rarely see my strings go way out of tune to the point of needing to unlock my nut.

What I would suggest is leaving your nut unlocked when you first string it, and play it for a few hours and keep retuning it with the pegs. Once it seems to be staying more in tune, then you lock it and fine tune from then on.

You could also try using these Heavy Top Skinny Bottom strings. They go 10 to 52, so your top strings are bendy and slim, but your bottom strings are fatter and easier to pick and strum hard.

http://www.ernieball.com/products/electric-strings/1693/skinny-top-heavy-bottom-nickel-wound

That being said, if you're REALLY abusing your strings, then you're gonna go out of tune no matter what.
It may be that your trem is not returning to zero. You will want to check your knife edges, studs, etc. Check for sloppiness in the threads of the studs. You can also try some chapstick on the knife edges. A double locking trem should not go out of tune once the strings are stretched unless there is a problem.
SRV pulled his guitars out of tune all the time but he was a monster player on a std Strat trem. A well set up FR with locking nut should be very stable even doing repeated dive bombs.

Have another guitarist play it and see what he thinks. Maybe just a minor setup issue. This is assuming you are re-stringing correctly and the locking nut works properly.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Also if you really have no idea what the problem is, or you're feeling weird about trying to fix it yourself, you can bring it in to any guitar center or sam ash and ask them to 'set it up' for you because you're having issues with the double locking trem system staying in tune. I don't think they'll charge you too much for that service, but you'll have to give up your guitar for a day to a week depending on their tech's schedule.
I have a tech that I take it to, and he's very good. I just don't know if its time to have it set up again, because its been about 6 months.
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

If you're not having any luck figuring it out on your own, I would at go and ask him to try and diagnose the problem for you. It's always better to have a professional opinion.
Quote by RBM01991
I have a tech that I take it to, and he's very good. I just don't know if its time to have it set up again, because its been about 6 months.

Then I would either learn how to set it up yourself (highly recommended) or take it to the tech. 6 months...I sometimes reset mine after a month. lol