Decided to try to pick the guitar up again after many false starts (the last one about 7 years ago or so with a cheap acoustic.) While searching the interwebs in my due-diligence, I came across the GDEC series of amps by Fender. Loved the idea of having a small, portable amp that had a built-in backing track to practice to.

Imagine my disappointment when I found out they discontinued the line. I've been searching around for alternatives to what the GDEC's offered.

Looking for advice on alternatives that would be consistent with their old price-point (under $300), provide the versatility and ease-of-use that they had, etc. I don't need paint-peeling volume...in fact, since I live in a shoebox apartment, I'll probably be practicing with headphones most of the time to keep from incurring the ire of my neighbors. Modeling options would be nice, but at this point are secondary to the ability to play to accompaniment.

Thanks in advance! Looking forward to hearing from you.
The Gdec series, as far as i can tell, has been replaced/surpassed by the Mustang series.
Which also sound a whole load better.

There are lots of good optios for these sort of modelling amps, with plenty of different amp settings, effects etc.

Generally speaking the ones worth looking at are:
Fender Mustang + Vox Valvetonix for cleaner sounds,
Peavey Vyper + Roland Cube for heavier tones.

Avoid the Line 6 Spider, some people can get good sounds out of them, don't get me wrong, but there are better options, and they get a LOT of hate.
Thanks Jaybals. Correct me if I'm wrong (and I probably am at this point) but do any of those options you listed have backing track generation? At this point, being able to accurately emulate other amps takes a backseat to having something to practice along with besides a metronome or ripped karaoke tracks.

Thank you again for your quick reply!
There's nothing else really out there that does what the G-DEC does. The closest thing is the new Line 6 Amplifi. There are better sounding practice amps for the price, but they don't have the backing tracks built in.

I thought the G-DEC's were pretty cool to mess around with and sounded decent for what they were. If you can find a used one, that might be ideal. Make sure it's a gen. 2 though, the first run were pretty meh.

Hell if I found one for cheap these days, I'd grab one. Great fun.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Not that I'm recommending it, but the Spider Jam has backing tracks. I picked up the GDEC 30-3 for $150 when they were blowing them out. I also picked up the $50 ext F/S. It's a nice amp and can use the Fender Fuse s/w to configure. I see GDEC's on CL every now and then. Too bad you aren't in Orlando. I'd consider letting mine go as it's hardly been used. Got too much gear already.
Hey, thanks Eppicurt and fly135. I've been haunting some of the usual places (ebay, Guitar Center) for used GDEC-3 30's, so that's definitely an option. Just wanted to get a feel if there was anything currently on the market, but it's not sounding like there is.

Short of that, is there a low-cost "box" solution (like a Boss, Korg, etc.) that would allow me to plug into the aux and do something similar to the GDEC? Looking for a variety of rhythms, some simple bass riffs, and the ability to change key, tempo, etc.

Thanks again for the input, it's appreciated.
You might want to look into a loop pedal. Great on there own or use an aux in for backing tracks.
MY Music
AMPS:
Chute CC-04 2x12
GUITARS:
Fender American Deluxe Strat SSS (with DG-20's)
Martin Dx-1
PEDALS:
Big Muff Pi Tone Wicker
Keeley Mod Bluesdriver
Holy Grail Plus Reverb
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Boss RC-2 Loop pedal
Thanks pawnluv, I've looked at some of the loop pedals as well. My theory is practice (and by extension, learning) would be more productive if one does so to actual music and not simply a static tone like a metronome or simply repeating scales on their own. I've even looked at titles like Rocksmith, which essentially operates on the same principle...that you learn by playing actual music.