I have a slight problem-i'm presently using Light gauge strings(D'addario EXp 16 coated phos. bronz) on my dread. and i still find them a bit too 'bassy'--never thought i'd say that but it's true. how about i use extra light bronze 80-20's---any suggestions--i have some Martins SP Lifespan 80/20 Ex Light as well as D'Addario EJ 80/20 Bronz Light & Ex Light.
Have you tried Light Elixir strings? Also, what tone woods are in your guitar? I find that coated strings such as this have different gauges. For example, a Light Elixir is actually a medium gauge from a D'Addrario Phosphor Bronze. You probably know this but still, you should try those extra lights a go.
You could try a set of D'Addario, "custom lights". These are .011 to .052, as opposed to .012 to .053 for D'Addario "acoustic light. The custom lights make more of a difference than you might expect by just reading the sizes. I'd argue you'd thin the bass out with these, as against losing too much of of it with an "extra light" set, which are .010 to .047.

80/20 "brass" alloy, tends to not be as thuddy as phosphor bronze, but takes a while longer to break in.

Personally, I wouldn't put full on extra lights on a big body guitar. My "Sonoran" sounds great with custom light brass strings. It's got enough bottom to add punctuation, but not nearly enough to overwhelm you. But, as they say, "your results, (and tastes), may vary".
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jun 9, 2014,
wow ! my 2 dreads don't like anyting but mediums. my GS's also like mediums or they also sound tinny(EXP17's on all of them). same with my GS minis. EXP16's that sound bassy on a dread? can't say i've heard that one.
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)
Quote by stepchildusmc
wow ! my 2 dreads don't like anyting but mediums. my GS's also like mediums or they also sound tinny(EXP17's on all of them). same with my GS minis. EXP16's that sound bassy on a dread? can't say i've heard that one.
The TS may have been exposed to far fewer concussion grenades than yourself.....,jus' sayin'....

Although, PB can possibly sound bottom heavy if they've been on too long. You know, like too little treble to mask the bass.

Then too Step, you're the only person I've heard claim that some dreads aren't too boomy.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jun 10, 2014,
those flash bangs have had no long term... look ! squirrel !
I have used extra lights on my dreadnoughts for many years. I think the lighter strings produce a more balanced sound across the tone spectrum.
Hey Step whats the actual gauge of those EXP 17s. Cheers
Quote by tuxs
Hey Step whats the actual gauge of those EXP 17s. Cheers

I used to use concertina wire but I didn't have a large enough truss rod.
Quote by stepchildusmc
I used to use concertina wire but I didn't have a large enough truss rod.
There, there now, Step, cheer up. None of us believe we have a big enough truss rod......
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jun 15, 2014,