This is for the people with more than one ax.
Do you have guitars set up for different types of music? Blues, country, heavy metal, grunge. If so, what type and what pick-ups?
I don't. I tend to find that once you've got a decently flexible set up and know how to tweak what you have you don't really need a whole bunch of different rigs. The really important thing is that you need to know what you're doing with your gear and have control over your technique so you can change your tone drastically without having to switch guitar and amp.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I has many guitars- a few acoustics and a boatload of electrics in 2 different tunings, E Standard and NST (New Standard Tuning, which is CGDAEG).

In the electrics, I try to have a variety of guitars in each tuning. So I have singlecoils and HBs in both, with more exotic pickups being added all the time. For instance, I currently only have a P90, Supro, or mini-HBs in guitars in E Standard. By year' send, I'll have at least one P90 equipped guitar for NST.

I follow a similar pattern with trems, semihollow/hollowbody construction, and the like.

But the whole genre thing...not quite as much. I mean, I have guitars with higher-output pickups for heavier genres, but I also play surf and jazz with those same axes.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jun 9, 2014,
I have guitars with different voices, and certain voices lend themselves more to certain music styles. Most of my guitars can cover everything to a certain degree though.

Classic rock, Rockabilly, Surf, Country, Blues, Pop, R&B>> 335, Strat, Tele, SG

Most Jazz and Progressive >> 335, Strat, Tele, SG

Punk or Heavy Rock >> 335, Strat, Tele, SG, Les Paul JR.

Modern Metal >> No interest in playing it.

As guitarists we often tend to sweat our gear too much when in reality we should just f'ing play more and fret over our gear less.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Jun 9, 2014,
I have 4 guitars and they are all different. Different design concept, different wood, different design period and they all sound different
Les Paul, SG mostly for the hard rock/classic, metal stuff. One LP is usually always half step down. 57 classics in one LP & ceramics in the other for chugga chugga squeal squeal.

Strat for light gain, clean, and trem. A Tele because it rocks faces off in it's own cool tele way. Lace Hot Golds and Tele CS pickups. Like the low output classic pickups for these.

1 Carvin always in a drop tuning. 1 Tele setup for slide. 1 Washburn acoustic. EVH Wolfgang Special for the floyd rose. Been thinking about adding a 7 string...

Some nights we'll play reggae, some nights 80s rock/metal, some nights we are a straight up 60s tribute band. I like having the gear that can cop original tones playing stuff like that. Usually I'll have one of the Gibson's plugged into the Marshall or a Fender in a DRRI/Twin. I could easily get by with 1 guitar and amp.. but wheres the fun in that
Last edited by cheesefries at Jun 9, 2014,
I have a classical for classical, a steel string acoustic for anything that requires acoustic/slide, a gretsch in standard tuning for everything except heavier stuff, I have a really old toaster pickup guitar made in the 70s in drop C# for heavier music. All of them go through my Epi Valve Junior Hot Rod (modded with effects loop), and a Joyo American sound pre amp.
Got 4 guitars Michael Kelly Patriot Limited Active w/ EMG 81-85 standard tuning, B.C. Rich Wave Signature w/ IronGear Steamhammer tuned to C#, B.C. Rich Bich Platinum Pro w/ IronGear Hot Slag standard tuning and another B.C. Rich Gunslinger Retro w/ EMG 81 standard tuning. Play mostly metal and rock.
Yes, I have 6 electrics and most are set-up different for different things, some have super slinkys and some have custom heavy gauge strings
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
now i have 2 i sold the other 2 (yamaha and unknown company)

i got this washburn parallaxe 20b ( for standard tuning) with 10 gauge

pick ups : SD Jazz / JB set

and this unknown guitar ( for eb tuning ) a 66$ guitar 11 gauge

unknown pick up

im planing to get an SG in September
please ignore my username
Last edited by nirvana_n_roses at Jun 9, 2014,
I play Spanish position acoustic and electric slide, acoustic and electric lap steel and acoustic fingerpicking, and have guitars dedicated for each. Since I only play slide on electrics, I have tended to go for one type of sound from the pickups, P90ish or low-output humbucker. I have five more electrics than I can possibly justify on playing grounds, but they are all experiments in pickup and switching choices. The acoustics are chosen on tonal grounds for either slide or fingerpicking, since I don't think they work well for both.
Last edited by Tony Done at Jun 9, 2014,
I have 4 guitars, soon to be 6.

Acoustic, standard tuning- For Acoustic stuff?

Les Paul - Std Pups, 10's, Eb. Mostly for 80's hard rock and metal. My "Go to" Axe

335 type Semi - SD Phat Cats, 10's, E + Drop D. Lighter punk rock stuff and a little classic rock and blues

BC Rich Mockingbird - Floyd, SD invaders, 11's, Drop C. Metal! Occasionally used for really heavy punk.

SOON:

Telecaster - Std Pups, 9's, E standard Eb and Drop D. Most Punk stuff

2nd 'Metal' Guitar - Floyd, SD Invaders, 11's, Drop B. Metal

The only amp I use is a Marshall Valvestate 150w Combo.
Last edited by JustGuitar98 at Jun 9, 2014,
Yes
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Both of the guitars I play are both in the same tuning and I play the same things on both. I bought the RG to cover areas that my Strat didn't but then I learned how important my playing was rather than the gear. I was watching Fretted Americana videos and I noticed Phil X plays the wrong guitars through the wrong amps and it still sounds great. I decided to learn his ways and now my guitars are completely interchangeable and both will sound great for anything I would play. I don't play metal though. The one thing that I feel like I could use another guitar is for slide.
I only started playing two years ago, but have four guitars: a $50 used Squier Strat, a nice MIM Strat, an American Standard Strat, and a Les Paul Traditional.

I can definitely hear the difference in sound between the four. I don't play anywhere near well enough to justify having four guitars for playing, but I like looking at them on the wall. They're art.
Quote by Monkeyleg
I like looking at them on the wall. They're art.

I spend almost as much time staring at them on a stand as playing them. I agree!
i have a bunch of electrics, and i should keep one in open tuning and another set up for slide....but i generally just have them all set up normally.

oh, and i agree about looking at the ones I have hanging on the wall. they're so pretty.
Guitars = art
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Me too.
I tune them all to A=432Hz these days though.
#HaterzGonnaHate
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
I have a bunch of guitars, but I've abandoned the whole business of setting them up for alternate tunings since I bought the Variax JTV-89F. And with the modeling built in, I really don't need different guitars "for different types of music? Blues, country, heavy metal, grunge." The guitar handles all of that with a bit of switching.

And yet I appreciate each guitar for what it is and how it looks and how it sounds and plays.
I find a sort of guitar that I like and want lots of them, which probably explains why my two Jacksons are identical apart from the colour. I set them up in different tunings. I'm not that bothered about having guitars for different styles - you can pull off most styles with most axes really. I just want more Jacksons/Charvels similar to what I have already...

Does that make me extra weird, wanting more of the same thing?
Nope- I know a lot of guitarists like that.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Nope- I know a lot of guitarists like that.

Ah good, then I'm not the only weirdo.

Now, let me go buy a nice new Charvel...
^ richtone has a bunch of the MIJs coming
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?