Hi UG community, I've been playing on my fender bullet strat for 3 years now. And I want to buy a new one. After looking around I found that I wanted to buy either the Ibanez RG 350DXZ or the Jackson Adrian Smith SDX (they differ 6 euro's in price at the store where I want to buy them) What do you think? Which one would you recommend? Please help me
The newer RG's play awesome, great pickups too.... Ceramic & Alnico , 2-octave 24 fret neck, but not compound radius like the Adrian Smith, but fast none=the-less... I play my bandmates when I can, but I've never played the Smith, but I've kinda stayed away from signatures, until one day someone decides to make a Staxxx McGee Signature Custom
big concern there is cheapo floyd roses. i haven't tried the floyd rose special (i'm guessing it's not great), but it's more likely to be swappable easily for something good than the rg350's trem. I'm not sure what size it is.

not sure how sensible it is basing a decision on how easy the thing is to upgrade, though
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I would stay away from both of those.

The trem system on the Ibanez, the Edge 3, is notorious for going out of tune. Also, Ibanez pickups are known for not being very good.

The Jackson is a signature series which means that they have to pay royalties to the artist every time the instrument is sold, which drives the price up. To compensate and keep the price at that level, they have to cut corners. Also, stock Jackson humbuckers.

If I were you, I'd go for one of these, a Soloist SLATXMGQ3-6:

http://www.jacksonguitars.com/en-MY/guitars/soloist/models/slatxmgq3-6-soloist-rosewood-fingerboard-trans-amber-sunburst/

EMG pickups, Floyd Rose Special, 24 frets
Quote by Dave_Mc

not sure how sensible it is basing a decision on how easy the thing is to upgrade, though

Yes and how expensive that would make it in total. There are some good "cheap" licensed FRs, but it still adds to the total.

Quote by darrenram1
I would stay away from both of those.

The trem system on the Ibanez, the Edge 3, is notorious for going out of tune. Also, Ibanez pickups are known for not being very good.

The Jackson is a signature series which means that they have to pay royalties to the artist every time the instrument is sold, which drives the price up. To compensate and keep the price at that level, they have to cut corners. Also, stock Jackson humbuckers.

If I were you, I'd go for one of these, a Soloist SLATXMGQ3-6:

http://www.jacksonguitars.com/en-MY/guitars/soloist/models/slatxmgq3-6-soloist-rosewood-fingerboard-trans-amber-sunburst/

EMG pickups, Floyd Rose Special, 24 frets

The FR Special is also pretty notorious for going out of tune and to add, it's kinda funny that you suggest the Soloist instead when it has the same FR bridge as the Adrian Smith model and what if he doesn't like EMGs or active pickups at all?
Where on Earth did you hear that royalty thing?

And remember, at one point of time, stock Jackson humbuckers were very desirable and these days sell fairly quickly and for basically the same price as used Seymour Duncan/Dimarzio and EMG pickups. These days, the Jackson CVRs and the like are kind of on the same level as the Ibanez INF series. They are okay if you use modulating amplifiers and such.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Last edited by Sakke at Jun 9, 2014,
I think it's also a generally important question - do you definitely need a trem? As far as I know, it's very hard to find one that's reliable in this price range (also why I've decided to stay away from them for now), and fixed bridges are generally far less problematic. However, if you're used to having a trem (your Fender probably has one?) and it's important for you to have one in the new guitar, then that's another thing.

Also, it's a bit of a usual suggestion in my case, but... if you're into playing heavier stuff (which I guess by the two guitars you're considering), I think it's also a good idea to look at Schecter guitars, and many of their models also have a Floyd option as far as I know.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
In that price range, I would avoid ANY guitar with a Floyd Rose. That said, if you can find fixed bridge versions of those, I would go for the Ibanez.
Try a cheap ibanez s series with the zr trem. Those things never go out of tune and never down. Come ina lot of different finishes. If youre stuck between those tow i would defi itely go with the ibanez

Where on Earth did you hear that royalty thing? /QUOTE]

It goes for ANY piece of gear with someones name on it. When you buy an Eric Clapton Strat you put a few hundred bucks in Eric's pocket. When you buy a Alex Lifeson Les Paul Axcess you are doing the same. EVH Wolfgangs/Flanger/Phasers/5150II? Same. Everything Zakk Wylde puts his name on? Same.

If someone buys a Kobe Bryant Jersey made by Nike... Kobe gets a cut of each sold.

It's how business works in the market. You are paying a premium for the name. In this case Adrian Smith gets $$$ for guitars sold. Jackson gets to use his name to help promote/sell a guitar. Win-Win.
Last edited by cheesefries at Jun 9, 2014,
Where on Earth did you hear that royalty thing?

It isn't universally true, but 99% of the time, if there is a product with a celebrity endorsement, there is a royalty agreement in place.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
The Floyd Rose Special is the same thing as the Floyd Rose original, the only difference is that it's made in Korea. It's not the best, but it's not that cheap of a trem
First let me thank you guys for your opinions.
And to reply to some of you:
@darrenram1: the ibanez rg350dxz has a newer tremolo, the edge 2 one which seems to be better than the edge 3. Also the jackson tou suggestes is 550euros here and thats 100 euros more than the ibanez which i find a little bit too expensive for my second guitar and it also seems to have lower review rating than the ibanez and jackson like the commenta said. Still thanks for your suggestion though
@theliberation: i really want a tremolo in it since i want to play those dive bombs and experience a guitar with a tremolo
@dannyalcatraz: i forgot to mention that i live in the netherlands(sorry :/) so getting guitars with those brands are pretty hard for me since i have to import them, thanks for thr suggestion though
@eknumber9: the s series from the ibanez looks relly nice but i read that they feel somewhat different, like a thin neck? And the zr??(zero?) tremolo is better? I don't relly know though, but thanks and i will consider it
So from what i read you guys think that i should go with the ibanez? Or are there also other alternatives. I really want to have a tremolo and i am prepared to tune it. I live on the netherlands so i can onlu get brands like ibanez, fender, esp, jackson, gibson ect. Not brands like
Wildswoods ect.
Last edited by yes2u3no at Jun 10, 2014,
Where are you in Europe? richtone is getting a bunch of NOS MIJ Charvels into stock for £599- FRT-x000 trems (decent), duncan/dimarzio pickups and japanese build quality. If you don't mind the 80s looks, a non-recessed tremolo and your budget is slightly flexible they might be worth considering.

Quote by Sakke
Yes and how expensive that would make it in total. There are some good "cheap" licensed FRs, but it still adds to the total.

Yeah.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
It isn't universally true, but 99% of the time, if there is a product with a celebrity endorsement, there is a royalty agreement in place.

That's what i'd have thought.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jun 10, 2014,
No worries I just thought I'd mention it just in case you could stretch.

(I know where the netherlands are, don't worry )
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?