Hello,
New to the forum, i have been playing bass for years and now my son(12) wants to play guitar, he has been using my acoustic(samik) for a few months and now wants to spend his OWN MONEY On a electric any ideas or helpful hints? I have suggested an epiphone LP. He has about £200 to spend but i may top it up a bit for a great deal.
Thanks in advance
Dan
It depends on his interests, but I would be looking at Squier, Yamaha and Ibanez first. I also really like the new Music Man Sterling SUB Silo 3 line - because my best value/overall favourite guitar is an OLP bari - the previous line of Music Man style Asian guitars.

Don't forget he'll also need an amp, which IMO is more important than the guitar. - Eg a Roland Cube.
the "great deal" bit you mentioned there at the end is kind of the wildcard there- you never know what you'll come across if you're patient, sort of easy on what you actually want (i.e. you just want a good guitar rather than a very specific model and colour), etc. etc.

I've seen some good deals on fretking blue labels recently as they seem to be winding them down, but I'm not sure I've seen any as low as £200.

The vintage advances have been discontinued too for a while, but the AV6 (3 different models- one SSS like a strat, one with 3 stacked p90s, one HSS) can normally be picked up for around £200 new (more like "new old stock" these days) and if they're in decent nick are pretty nice for that kind of money too.

Then there's the old fallback of the yamaha pacifica 112v (or J), you can normally pick them up for around £200, if not less. Readily available.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Danshakin
Hello,
New to the forum, i have been playing bass for years and now my son(12) wants to play guitar, he has been using my acoustic(samik) for a few months and now wants to spend his OWN MONEY On a electric any ideas or helpful hints? I have suggested an epiphone LP. He has about £200 to spend but i may top it up a bit for a great deal.
Thanks in advance
Dan

Now from one dad to another, give the kid an extra 100 or just double it and get him a really nice guitar. The fact he is 12 and wants to spend his money on gear means he is deff interested. Or get him a decent amp to play through
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Cant go wrong with a yamaha pacifica but that epiphone is also a good choice too. If thers room in the budget left over definitely pick up a roland cube. They sound awesome and have all the sounds youll ever need
I'd stay away from low end Epis tbh,Tuning issues etc can make them frustrating.As said above a Pacifica would be a good choice if you want new or there's a few Jackson guitars around the £200 mark,Not sure what they're like but i'm sure they'd be good for a beginner.Other than that,You may get a good used deal.