Hey all, very wet-behind-the-ears newbie here. Looking hard at the Epiphone SG Goth, but am a bit confused. Everything I've read thus far indicated that the body was mahogany, but another vendor site stated that the body is alder instead.

Which is it, and what is preferable?
The one I'm looking at is the cheaper, entry-level SG Special. According to this link , the body is alder, while at this link as well as others it claims to be made of mahogany. Have they made them from different material over the years, and which is considered better? It's my understanding mahogany is a bit denser and tends to favor the lower frequencies, lending a bit of "growl" to the instrument. No idea what alder's properties are.

EDIT: Originally typed "neck", changed to "body."
Last edited by StarGeezerTim at Jun 10, 2014,
the body wood will not make a difference with that guitar. I highly suggest you do not get any Epiphone special. You can get a used Epiphone G-400 for $150 and they are much better guitars

Those guitars you linked are different models, so they would have different specs.

Here is the G-400 goth used for $199 www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-EPIPHONE-G400-SG-GOTH-BLACK-110069573-i3713760.gc
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Jun 10, 2014,
Thanks for the tip, Robb. Here's the catch... there are both budgetary and time considerations at play here. The guitar is a birthday gift to me from family. I've tried making this both economical and easy to obtain for them (particularly since none of them are at all versed in selecting instruments.) I don't really want to go to them with under 2 weeks to go and suggest we start buying the parts piecemeal (guitar and amp at least), with likely another $100 or so tacked on to the cost (not counting shipping costs.)

Now if it were coming out of my pocket, I'd have less of a problem putting together a system, and in fact very well may wind up doing so later on. In fact, I'm already spying used amps (I really have major wood for a Fender GDEC-3 30 to practice on.)

Good catch on the difference in models, although I'm still not sure what they are. Cosmetically they're identical, as is the price. One is an LE, and the other a Ltd. Perhaps the body material is the only real difference? Don't suppose it much matters either way, as you said. Was just curious as to the difference.

Thanks again for your reply. I may very well try to pick up one of those G-400's later on as well.
the SG special is a bolt on neck guitar and is very cheap. they may very well have changed the body material as well as the neck over the years as specs do change. get the SG 400 if at all possible. why not look at other options in your price range?
Quote by monwobobbo
the SG special is a bolt on neck guitar and is very cheap. they may very well have changed the body material as well as the neck over the years as specs do change. get the SG 400 if at all possible. why not look at other options in your price range?

Thanks for the advice, monwobobbo. I'm in a bit of a Catch-22 here: This is a birthday present from family members, and I'm a difficult person to get gifts for. Not because I have demanding or extravagant tastes, in fact, quite the opposite--it's difficult for me to pin down something I want/need when someone else is opening their wallet. After half a century, I'm pretty much birthday'd-out. But seeing as this is my 50th, my family (primarily an elderly blind mother, and a younger brother) wanted to do something nice. Since I don't want either one of them spending a whole lot of money, and since neither one of them has any clue about buying musical instruments, I tried making this as painless for all involved as I possibly could.

Would this be my perfect solution? No, obviously not. If money were no object and we weren't under time constraints (the guitar hasn't been ordered yet), I could obviously spend at least twice as much and get something more to my liking. But at the end of the day, this is an attempt to make things easy on family members. And let's face it, I won't be keeping the Eddie Van Halen's or Jimmy Page's awake at night over my guitar chops. So I can't see spending a huge wad of cash on what is in every sense of the term a beginner guitar. It may very well wind up being the case after I get this that I find my arthritic hands knot up too much to play with any regularity, and I would feel lower than dirt if I had them spend multiple hundreds of dollars on something that will wind up collecting dust in a corner somewhere. At least at this point, it looks cool enough that if things don't work out, I can at least hang it on the wall and have a conversation piece.
how bout a gift card to Guitar Center of similar then. dude get an axe that works for you not just because it's in a "budget" for a gift. I'm 53 so I understand where you're coming from. now as another old geezer i'll tell you don't waste money on a crap guitar. you don't have to spend a fortune but don't cheap out. EVH ain't quiting cuz he heard me play either lol (check my profile for examples)
That has potential, mon. Maybe I'll poke around GC to see what they have as far as good used guitar/amps and see how close to the mark I can get without going too far over budget. I have to keep in mind shipping as well...at least with Amazon, I get free 2-day shipping (yeah, I'm a cheap ol' b*****d! LOL ) You've definitely given me food for thought. Thanks!
GC used shipping is pretty reasonable.

And I agree if they are going to get you a budget guitar, have them get you a gift card instead.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Well, I poked around some and found a couple of things on GC. One is the G-400 Goth, which is still available and happens to be in-state and is listed to be in great condition. I have an inquiry in about it (sales tax, any additional stuff like case/gig bag, etc.) I'm also checking on a Peavey 75W Vypyr amp, also in good condition, for around $150. That raises the budget a bit, but it's not outrageous and I could easily make up any difference in cost. So we'll see what happens. I'll keep you posted.
Last edited by StarGeezerTim at Jun 10, 2014,
Well I have the G-400 vintage and for a $299 new guitar I am very impressed with the quality at that price point. The pickups are not the best, but you can deff have worse.

The Vypyr 75 will be a great first amp. It sounds good and it can easily keep up with other people if you want to jam with others
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
The Goth body is made of dried blood and fecal matter, as befits a guitar with its sinister intention.

"Menacing" 15W practice amp with a thundering 8" speaker in an open back cabinet. Color of the guitar is "Pitch Black" satin (not just...uh...black).
Last edited by dspellman at Jun 11, 2014,
Quote by StarGeezerTim
The one I'm looking at is the cheaper, entry-level SG Special. Have they made them from different material over the years, and which is considered better? It's my understanding mahogany is a bit denser and tends to favor the lower frequencies, lending a bit of "growl" to the instrument. No idea what alder's properties are.

The Epiphone website has it at mahogany, and most of the spec information I have lists the neck as maple with rosewood fretboard. Given the construction and the price point (and the copy that lists the little 15W solid state practice amp as "menacing"), I think a dose of reality might be in order. If I were considering this guitar, I might be a bit more concerned about whether the body wood density on this guitar leaves it as prone to neck dive as most SGs tend to be, rather than trying to determine which frequencies the body might be letting through. We're bordering on the ludicrous, here.
Quote by dspellman
The Epiphone website has it at mahogany, and most of the spec information I have lists the neck as maple with rosewood fretboard. Given the construction and the price point (and the copy that lists the little 15W solid state practice amp as "menacing"), I think a dose of reality might be in order. If I were considering this guitar, I might be a bit more concerned about whether the body wood density on this guitar leaves it as prone to neck dive as most SGs tend to be, rather than trying to determine which frequencies the body might be letting through. We're bordering on the ludicrous, here.

Point taken, and one I fortunately no longer have to worry about. I made some calls this morning and scored that G-400 Goth instead, as well as the 75W Vypyr. Happy Birthday to me.
I am a StarGeezer: some call me..."Tim."*

* - Heartfelt apologies to Monty Python for blatant plagiarism. Those responsible have been sacked.

Epiphone G-400 "Goth"
Peavey Vypyr 75 Amp
Thanks man, can't wait for them to get here now.

* - Heartfelt apologies to Monty Python for blatant plagiarism. Those responsible have been sacked.

Epiphone G-400 "Goth"
Peavey Vypyr 75 Amp
Quote by StarGeezerTim
Point taken, and one I fortunately no longer have to worry about. I made some calls this morning and scored that G-400 Goth instead, as well as the 75W Vypyr. Happy Birthday to me.

right on, happy 15th
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
right on, happy 15th

HAH! If only! LOL! Thanks Robb, not only for the birthday wishes but for pointing out that guitar. It is, in fact, the one I ordered. I talked directly with the store managers at both GC's (the amp and guitar were at different stores, but both were in or near Buffalo, NY and I'm in Syracuse.) They were both listed as "Great" condition, I had the managers describe in minute detail any problems or defects, and these were both in outstanding shape. Since I have a 30-day return policy, if they aren't everything they're supposed to be, I'll just return them. But I don't think I'll have that problem.

Epiphone G-400 "Goth"
Peavey Vypyr 75 Amp
Hey Robb, if we should by some chance ever get a chance to meet I owe you a beer. The G-400 got here today and it's incredible! I'll do a proper NGD post tomorrow, but just wanted to pop in and say thanks again for the heads-up, this was a good choice.

Epiphone G-400 "Goth"
Peavey Vypyr 75 Amp
Quote by StarGeezerTim
Hey Robb, if we should by some chance ever get a chance to meet I owe you a beer. The G-400 got here today and it's incredible! I'll do a proper NGD post tomorrow, but just wanted to pop in and say thanks again for the heads-up, this was a good choice.

Cool, glad I could help.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate