Hey UG community. 10 years ago on my birthday I got a strat by (Washburn?). I didn't do much with it until last year November. Now that I'm getting serious with music, it's time I got a new guitar. I tried playing along to some songs (Megadeth, Metallica, etc) and my guitar sounded like crap. It doesn't have any fancy pickups, no whammy bar, and the thing is falling apart. Long story short, I'm looking for something that I won't be ashamed of gigging with yet not break the bank. Max price 450 USD. I wanted to get a Dean Dime Camo but it didn't come with a Floyd Rose/Whammybar. I'm new to this so forgive me if I come across stupid. I plan on playing along to some thrash and blues (Megadeth,Black Sabbath). I want it to be comfortable, sound great, and look mean.

PS. I have a Fender Champion 25. Is that the root of my problem as well?
look for a 400 series LTD. (EC400 this for example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ESP-LTD-EC-400-6-string-solid-body-/281353839371?pt=Guitar&hash=item4181fee30b) or others. they are pretty solid for the money they come with active pickups which dave mustaine used. it would likely fit most of your needs minus the floyd rose.

why do you want a tremolo? they are cool, but unless you would go higher end, they can wear quickly and be hard to stay in tune.

also there are further complications with stringing/setting up a trem. unless you NEED one i would stay with a hardtail. that is just my opinion.

for an amp, i would recomend a peavey vypyr tube 60. its a great modeling amp and it has the same power schematic to the 6505+'s.

if you shop hard i think you could get close to budget. that is just one guitar, there are hundreds you can get, i just thought that it could be a good example. jackson also makes fine guitars in the same price range used, my personal preference is the ibanez prestige series, and they are out of budget for you and most people (me included) swap the pickups.

my best recommendation is to simply go to a music store and play as much as you can. but its hard to sometimes
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
In certain Pantera songs like Mouth For War he uses it for squeals. I've loved that sound since I was a kid and I've always wanted to replicate it. My next guitar obviously won't be my last so I could live without the arm on this one. A few people told me Les Pauls weren't good for metal, not sure if that's true.
450 could get you a used LTD EC1000 Eclipse. They are pretty rocking for the stuff it seems like you want to play. Les Pauls are great for metal. Along with most anything that doesn't have single coils. Ibanez and Schecter have some good metal guitars in that price range. PRS SE is good too.

If you really like the strat shape you have now you could look into Jackson, Kramer, and Charvel.

Used Carvin's are sometimes pretty cheap too. Whatever you end up with 450 can get you a very solid guitar.
Last edited by cheesefries at Jun 10, 2014,
The amp will get you more of the metal sound than the guitar. Like others have said a guitar with single coils would not be the best idea, but the amp will do the most of the grunt work.
I am not telling you to get a new amp, which would probably be a wise choice, but the LTDs that have been recommended will be a great step up. Keep your eyes open for good deals, I got my LTD for less than $400, and it is great.
Admittedly the only reason I bought it was to play some Devin Townsend stuff, and because I had one at one time and had to get rid of it so rebought one for sentiment.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Orange TV50H 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
I'd recommend staying away from the Floyd Rose for an early guitar kinda thing, they're a pain in the arse to set up/maintain.
I'd definitely recommend an upgrade on the amp more than anything, or if you're not in a live situation a modeller like a POD or something similar.
Silverburst
Quote by RiffEmAll

PS. I have a Fender Champion 25. Is that the root of my problem as well?

Yeah probably. Neither your amp nor guitar are really helping in this case.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
(Minor Note: I made a mistake, it's not even 25, it's a champion 20 amp) I live in an apartment so I don't know if my neighbors will be happy with me getting a giant amp. I've looked into the Jackson JS32T Kelly. It has the look I want and I believe Marty Friedman plays it.
Then look at a modeller, or even an interface for your computer.
Interfaces can be picked up pretty cheap now, so that'd leave you with the rest for a guitar
Silverburst
Quote by RiffEmAll
(Minor Note: I made a mistake, it's not even 25, it's a champion 20 amp) I live in an apartment so I don't know if my neighbors will be happy with me getting a giant amp. I've looked into the Jackson JS32T Kelly. It has the look I want and I believe Marty Friedman plays it.

Yeah if you need to play at super low volumes then a modeller or something like that is probably a better idea, as insanityninja said

i don't think friedman has used jacksons in quite some time but I'm guessing when he did he used the (expensive) USA models.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?