I´m thinking about fitting some EMG active pickups sets (possibly 57 and 66)T into my Gibson SG.

Does anyone know if I can fit the 9V battery into the cavity when you swap out the the volume and tone pots for the EMG ones that comes included with the kits?

I've checked and there isnt any room with the gibson pots at least.

I've emailed EMG but haven't got any answer (yet).
I think I've seen people make room for a battery in the control cavity.

EDIT: found another thread that should be of use for you https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1458847
Gibson SG faded/Squier VM Jaguar-> Rat -> Wampler Leviathan ->EHX Knockout -> Cathedral -> Barber LTD SR -> PDS 8000 -> Seppuku FX Memory Loss -> El Cap -> Timebender -> Space -> Randall Commander II

https://soundcloud.com/fcknoise
Last edited by Brandsmannen at Jun 10, 2014,
You should be able to do it. Just make sure you can shield it too. Don't want electricity where it shouldn't be.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
I did it last month to one of my SGs. I used the small EMG pots for a strat for more cavity room. I ended up with enough room to be able to add a second battery for the 18 volt mod.

With the long les paul pots I've heard you don't get much room for a battery. The control plate will bulge out a tiny when the battery is installed.
Last edited by cheesefries at Jun 10, 2014,
Seems like EMG would be able to tell you exactly what to do. Hopefully they will get back to you with good customer service.
Here's a photo from my area's Craigslist!

This is an Epi SG, but I imagine it's quite similar.
Thanks guys! Looks like I will go ahead and buy some

cheesefries: Are you happy with the EMGs? 81/85? Big difference?
Quote by deepc0re
Thanks guys! Looks like I will go ahead and buy some

cheesefries: Are you happy with the EMGs? 81/85? Big difference?

I like them a lot. After playing with it a bit I did swap them around and put the 85 in the bridge. It's a bit fatter sounding than the 81. Works really nice in my sg.

This was my first EMG equipped guitar so I didn't know what to expect. You might want to take a look at the EMG Het Set too. They have a beefed up sound that I think would match an SG nicely.
Last edited by cheesefries at Jun 10, 2014,
Quote by cheesefries
I like them a lot. After playing with it a bit I did swap them around and put the 85 in the bridge. It's a bit fatter sounding than the 81. Works really nice in my sg.

This was my first EMG equipped guitar so I didn't know what to expect. You might want to take a look at the EMG Het Set too. They have a beefed up sound that I think would match an SG nicely.

Cool. I think I will either go for 57/66 or JH set. Haven't decided yet, but I probably end up with the 57/66.
Here she is. I went for the 66/57, love the sound and no more hiss/hum. It was a really really tight fit in the cavity but I somehow managed to fit everything.

Seriusly?? 500x500px and 100kb limitation on attacment pictures? What are are we living in? 1990? And no way to place attachment pictures inside posts?
Attachments:
Photo 20.06.14 18 48 08.jpg
Photo 21.06.14 15 03 06.jpg
Photo 21.06.14 15 02 26.jpg
Last edited by deepc0re at Jun 21, 2014,
You can do all the things you mentioned not being able to do in your post...

Is that a Derek Trucks SG? Or just customized to look like one?
Quote by Nickpocalypse
You can do all the things you mentioned not being able to do in your post...

Is that a Derek Trucks SG? Or just customized to look like one?

Yepp, its a Derek Trucks. I guess it´s like swearing in the church to mod it but I dont care