Poll: Which is more terrifying?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which is more terrifying?
Being alone in the Universe.
98 84%
Not being alone in the Universe.
18 16%
Voters: 116.
Page 1 of 3
“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.” ― Arthur C. Clarke

Which is more terrifying, and why?
RIP Tom Searle.
The stories where humanity takes over an empty universe depress me more than the ones where we get stomped by some superior species.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Staring up at the stars and knowing for sure that there's nothing else out there would be a spooky thought.....you totally ruined my stargazing now

If I knew there was life somewhere else in the universe, I'd be more curious than terrified
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
Quote by lemmyisgod97
Earth is proof of "intelligent life", it would be impossible for there not to be more.

Care to elaborate?
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
Quote by lemmyisgod97
Earth is proof of "intelligent life", it would be impossible for there not to be more.

why is it impossible for it to be?

realistically, yes there's intelligent life elsewhere. But impossible? Not really.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
I don't think there's anything more arrogant and seemingly inaccurate as calling ourselves 'intelligent'.

But yeah, I think it's irrelevant whether we're alone or not. If we are alone, that's fine, we'll make the best of it. If we're not alone, that's fine, we'll make the best of it. I can't see how the difference should have effects on what we do with the information, we're too simple for that.
Quote by theguitarist
The stories where humanity takes over an empty universe depress me more than the ones where we get stomped by some superior species.

Well said.

Quote by Lord_Doku
I don't think there's anything more arrogant and seemingly inaccurate as calling ourselves 'intelligent'.

We are the most intelligent thing around that we've ever observed, though?
Last edited by JustRooster at Jun 10, 2014,
Quote by JohnnyGenzale

realistically, yes there's intelligent life elsewhere. But impossible? Not really.

It also isn't impossible that we're the only ones in this galaxy. Intelligent life may have already developed multiple times in this galaxy and died out before we came to be as a species.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by JustRooster

We are the most intelligent thing around that we've ever observed, though?

By our standards, yes. That's my point.
Quote by Lord_Doku

I kind of meant it sarcastically that's why I put it in quotation marks.
Neither. Clarke was a nutcase
I hope it doesn't seem, like I'm young, foolish, and green.
Let me in for a minute, you're not my life but I want you in it

O Dayya, te echaré de menos, siempre

Y siempre
Y para siempre
Quote by JohnnyGenzale

There's just so much more out there, the earth is just a crumb.

It certainly seems impossible to me.
Quote by Redsectoreh

Always take limits to stop the doubters. 0.999999...=1
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
The chances that we are not alone in the universe are higher, but its not said that there are other lifeforms that could take over the earth one day. Life does not mean that its an highly evolved civilisation that is able to travel trough the universe.
^Yeah good point, the only way in which intelligent life can travel to here is if
1. they are by chance close enough
2. One can go faster than the speed of light (probs not)
3. Wormholes exists and we can use them
4. Statis and wait
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Last edited by Neo Evil11 at Jun 10, 2014,
Quote by Redsectoreh

it might seem impossible. but until it's proven impossible it's very much possible we're alone.

but now we're arguing semantics. I just found the wording of that post I quoted initially to be rather dumb
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Maybe there's superior intelligence in the universe, but we are too primitive to be of any interest to these 'aliens'.

I pointed out once a spider making a web to some friends and they found it awkward I would even spent time checking out something so obvious and primitive, yet it's quite the feat.

Obviously it's a bit different than a bunch of spiders.

If you take the universe and the planets as some kind of 'absolute ceiling', we are able to manipulate stuff around us (nuclear fusion, synthesizing elements/isotopes etc.) which is by nature's standard pretty high up there.

Like Mr Doku wrote in this thread.. Our intelligence is valued based on our observations, but you could say because of the above that through a fairly high degree of manipulation of matter we are somewhat on the more superior side of things.

On the other hand, this is relative to the universe being the 'ceiling'. Our universe could also be a snowglobe on the table of a god and we are indeed primitive.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Jun 10, 2014,
Quote by xxdarrenxx
Maybe there's superior intelligence in the universe, but we are too primitive to be of any interest to these 'aliens'.

I don't think any superior intelligence would care too much about us, but if a race as consumption-focused as humanity managed to travel here somehow I reckon we'd be in trouble...
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I don't think any superior intelligence would care too much about us, but if a race as consumption-focused as humanity managed to travel here somehow I reckon we'd be in trouble...

Well that's another interesting question.

Does intelligence bring forth motivation to abuse it?

We caged, killed and have eaten almost every living creature 'below' us just because we can, and not necessarily because we had to.

We even abuse individual intelligence ourselves. People get thrown under the bus in certain parts of the working society to gain promotion for instance. People cheat on their spouse, because they think they are smart enough to get away with it.

Edit:
Another example was more recent. A medical company patented a certain DNA combination to treat/diagnose a certain illness, but refused to share it for free to gain the most money out of it.

Obviously money = power was valued before the benefits of the entire human race in this instance.

I believe it didn't went through, but the key is the motivation was present from at least 1 individual of the company.

So to get back to it, I think the chance is very high a superior intelligence would cage us, perhaps as "humane' as we cage animals in cages under the saying that they are treated well. That may be true, but still caged and strapped from at least some freedom.

To go entirely blaze it 420 on this matter..

Perhaps the earth itself is our cage already, them knowing we could never "reach" these hypothetical aliens on basis of that they know we would have a very hard time to invent technology beyond the laws of physics to realistically travel the universe, and we are being observed this very moment.

Like the universe being a zoo, stripped from certain elements and molecules which would allow us easier travel.

I mean we only can measure all elements to what we know, and to the fastest and or most dense particles we know off (light for example), but maybe there are faster particles beyond our universe which would totally change everything.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Jun 10, 2014,
Being "alone" doesn't really bother me, while there being other stuff brings the slim chance they might kill us all, so I'd opt for the empty. Though was reading an article the other day that suggested that if there are no species more advanced than us out there, one possible explanation is that it's very difficult for a civilization to advanced from a Type 1? (forget what the classifications are) to the next level.
Quote by Lord_Doku

LOL, take a good long look in the mirror sometime.
We r NOT a loan cuz God is always their. :angle:
Quote by CaptainCanti
it wouldn't surprise me if UG goes down within the next couple months, along with other privately owned sites

December 14, 2017
It's so strange to think about the fact we exist in this thing called the universe. Like why did nature make it the way it is? Why is the format of the universe a bunch of spherical planets orbiting around spherical balls of gas in a gigantic space made up mostly of nothing? Why isn't existence something else? Like why isn't it just a large 2D plane placed in some sort of box? I hope i'm making sense...

I think the idea that there might be nothing else out there is more frightening to me. Maybe it's a reflection of our own individual desires not to be alone that humanity finds it collectively frightening to be alone in the universe.
Quote by Dreadnought
Being alone would be a lot worse, obviously!

ye eventually ya gotta start shooting alien babies when brown babies dont get yr rocks off eh
Shit I voted 2 but meant 1.

I think it's human nature to be curious and to share knowledge with others. It would, at the very least, be disappointing if we were alone.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Quote by mcw00t
"so you mean if the father is sterile, the kid will be sterile too?"

Proof God exists and evolution is a lie:
Quote by elguitarrista3
the prove is u because u did n create urself and ur parents dindt and their parents didnt and so on and we are not monkeys peace

if space is infinite then surely there are infinite possibilities for intelligent life, so we can assume that there is?
Quote by So-Cal
if space is infinite then surely there are infinite possibilities for intelligent life, so we can assume that there is?

We don't know if space is truly infinite or not.
Quote by CaptainCanti
it wouldn't surprise me if UG goes down within the next couple months, along with other privately owned sites

December 14, 2017
But is space really infinite or is it just expanding faster than anything can ever reach?
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Being alone, because it would mean we have no one to learn from. Can't observe anyone's mistakes, can't observe anyone's successes. It means we'd be on our own for solving any future problem. Sun is dying? We're on our own. Roaming black hole? We're on our own. Trans-planetary disease? We're on our own.

Of course, there's always the possibility that we're not alone and we just never find out. That would be bad too.
By the time we meet any other civilization ours will be so advanced that we won't be able to be conquered anyway, so I'm not worried about any of that. We certainly aren't meeting any aliens for the next few hundred years, and if we don't succeed in killing ourselves by that point we aren't getting taken. You guys underestimate the intelligence of human beings. Once we hit the tech. singularity in 40 years, WE will be the godly intelligent super advanced species that you guys are talking about.

Quote by Seref
Of course, there's always the possibility that we're not alone and we just never find out. That would be bad too.

IMO that's the worst.
Quote by Seref
Being alone, because it would mean we have no one to learn from. Can't observe anyone's mistakes, can't observe anyone's successes. It means we'd be on our own for solving any future problem. Sun is dying? We're on our own. Roaming black hole? We're on our own. Trans-planetary disease? We're on our own.

For all intents and purposes, we are alone. If there is life out there, the chances of it being intelligent are slim. If they are intelligent, let's assume their planet is similar to Earth. We have the ability to destroy ourselves, have depleted much of the Earth's resources already, yet we don't send much of anything beyond LEO, manned or otherwise. I see no reason to assume that the case on another planet would be any different. If there is intelligent life out there somewhere, the chances of us meeting or even discovering each other are slim to none. Microbial life in our own solar system is where extraterrestrial life will be discovered, if at all.
Quote by CaptainCanti

December 14, 2017
Being alone would be more terrifying. I believe it's almost impossible that we are alone. If we are truly alone that would give credence to divine creation theories. I mean, what are the chances that we are alone, it's almost statistically impossible.
maybe we are alone, but at some point posses the technology to start colonizing the galaxy or even de universe. and after many many years we the colony's habitants start evoling around the planets properties. causing a big change in the dna where we won't be able to mate with different colonys creating different species of 'so called' intelligent life?
Page 1 of 3