So I just bought my first amp head/cabinet amp. A Hartke HA3500 and VX410 cabinet. I bought it used off Craigslist, talked the guy from $400 down to $360, he said he's never gigged with it and I believe him. But I just got it home and started playing through it and there's an ungodly rattling sound when I'm in the lower registers. Any thoughts as to what it might be? Is this something I can fix or should I take it to a shop?

Thanks
Are you resting anything on top of the amp? Are there any sheets of paper or other small trash around the amp?

It could be that the grill is loose. Wiggle it back and forth a bit to see if it's popped out of the cabinet at all

Tighten any visible screws on the cab or the head, including inputs if they are the style with a washer on front

God forbid it's a blown speaker. Try before you buy friend

If you can post a short audio clip, it would help us diagnose. Pictures too!
Last edited by bassalloverthe at Jun 10, 2014,
I've tightened down all the screws and made sure there's no paper or anything under the amp, still rattling.

Also, when I move the cabinet around, for instance when I brought it in the house, I could hear lots of little things almost rolling around it sounded like. Almost sounded like a rain stick.

Sadly I can't post any audio or pictures, my ipad isn't cooperating :/
Last edited by Whiplash2067 at Jun 10, 2014,
Quote by Whiplash2067
I've tightened down all the screws and made sure there's no paper or anything under the amp, still rattling.

Also, when I move the cabinet around, for instance when I brought it in the house, I could hear lots of little things almost rolling around it sounded like. Almost sounded like a rain stick.

Sadly I can't post any audio or pictures, my ipad isn't cooperating :/

Whatever is moving inside the amp is almost 100% definitely causing the rattling. Whether it is something in the amp broken, or just something extraneous that fell in the amp remains to be seen.

At this point, my prognosis is to take it to the shop. If you are handy, you can attempt to take it apart yourself. Just make sure you let it sit unplugged for a day to be safe (it takes time for the capacitance(?) To leave the system). Dont take the diy path unless your comfortable with messing your amp up beyond repair

It seems to me that if the amp is working normally, save for the rattling, something probably fell inside. Ifsomething inside had broken so badly as to cause this noise, I doubt the amp would be making noise

We will see what the others say
You would be amazed at the kinds of little crap-like things that can get inside of a speaker cabinet - even a sealed cabinet. I sometimes think that it is conclusive proof of the existence of Gremlins!

Amp cabinet rattling when you hit low notes is, sadly, not unusual. It is often loose screws, but it can also be loose joinery in the cabinet corners, or some kind of crap that has found its way into the cabinet. If it is a Hartke VX cabinet, it may be the retaining frame that holds the grille cloth in place.

Unless you are a better-than-average home carpenter, I suggest taking the speaker cabinet to the shop. If you take it apart - particularly if there is a problem with the joinery - you may find that if you put it back together, you just made the problem worse. It is probably a minor issue, but since you can hear it and it is driving you mad, then by all means, have it looked at (and fixed).
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley