I decided to post this because there arent a lot of useful threads about this. So, I recently joined a band as the bass player because a friend needed a bassist and i decided i'd be helpful
Anyway, I've been to practice only twice so far, using my 7 string ibanez iron label, which is 25.5" scale. For strings I'm using the d'addario 10-74 8 string set but skipping the 5th string, and it's worked out pretty well so far (bottom 3 strings tuned to bass standard E A D, other 4 standard DGBE. The bottom 2 strings are a little too loose at the moment, so I'm going to go out and buy a bass set (something with a .85 or .90 i guess). So far the string tension isn't that high, so i can go up a little more without removing strings or adding a new spring to my Edge tremolo (probably won't come to that). I might have to file my nut a bit, but i think i'll be able to squash a slightly thicker string in as it is.
If anyone's done this before, what are your thoughts? Sound-wise and performance wise? I find it quite comfortable to play bass songs on my guitar, + the added high strings for soloing are useful.
Also, for those about to ask why i don't buy a bass: instruments cost money, I don't see why i need to buy a bass and amp to go with it to play a few songs once in a while when i have a perfectly viable alternative. Also, bass strings are freakin expensive.
Bad idea.

The tension will be an issue and your pickups will make it sound like crap.

You're better off buying a crappy bass
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more
Quote by megano28
Bad idea.

The tension will be an issue and your pickups will make it sound like crap.

You're better off buying a crappy bass

+1
Yea, the scale length and pickups are definitely going to be an issue, there's a reason why even most uber-downtuned djent bands still have a bass.

Don't buy a crappy bass though, buy an inexpensive one that's solid. :P
Well if i manage to sell my RR3 to someone (I almost never use it anyway) I might go for a long scale 8 string. Idk, bass is fun and all, but considering the only bass songs im going to be playing for now are in standard tuning, and i prefer guitar anyways, I'm probably gonna get a dj0nt machine. I could borrow someone's bass i guess, but i'm probably not going to buy one in the near future because I'd need an amp and whatnot.
Also, i read on some forum that meshuggah played on 25.5" 7s with an .80 a while ago, so an .85 should be fine for a half step lower than them, i assume.. I dunno, I'll try it and then say if it worked.
Quote by dkishishev
Also, i read on some forum that meshuggah played on 25.5" 7s with an .80 a while ago, so an .85 should be fine for a half step lower than them, i assume.. I dunno, I'll try it and then say if it worked.

And they re-recorded the album they did that on with new guitars once they had actual 8 strings. Should tell you more or less everything you need to know.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
You need a bass

If you don't have one, buy one. There is no substitute. Depending on where you live you can get an Ibanez SR300/400/500 used for <$200

Here is an SR300 4 string for $179 www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-Used--Ibanez--SR-300DX--Blue-Electric-Bass-Guitar-110188808-i3762718.gc

And this is a 305 (5-String) for $199
www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-IBANEZ-SDGR-SR-305-DX-5-STRING-BLACK-109970706-i3671372.gc
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Well, overall, i tried it. It's a little bit pointless, since bass strings are hard to put on. I knew the metal bits on the end of the string are larger for bass strings, but they proved too large to put them directly into the floyd. I've only replaced the bottom string, which i did with the largest 100 gauge string cause i'm full of bright ideas. works fine, a lot more tension and tuning stability, but a pain to put on so i'm not going to be doing that again. Also required slight filing on the nut, but that's not a problem to be honest. Tone-wise it's slightly better, but as i haven't tried it on an actual amp (only in reaper with amplitube bass amps) i can't say much. I can use the guitar as a mini-bass for the time being, i guess. Anyway, i'll consider an actual bass if someone close to me is selling.
There's a world of difference between a real bass with big strings and a 34" scale and a skinny string guitar with a 25.5"scale trying to tune down. The very first post after your initial post told you everything. "Bad idea."

And now you know that.

You can find cheap basses easily enough (just make sure to get one that has a decent neck and action). When I started adding bass to the repertoire, I bought a used Fender Squier Skull bass (used, pristine) for about $100. I've since added a 5-string Carvin with active pickups, but that Fender is still just fine for nearly everything.