I discovered that when I break a string it mostly happens when I'm picking hard or harder then I normally do. Initially I thought it would make sense, but shouldn't strings be able to manage that? Sometimes I hold back, being afraid to break the string. I play Elixir .009 - .042 on a strat.
Hit anything hard enough and it will break.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
when I break a string it mostly happens when I'm picking hard or harder then I normally do

Makes sense aha!

And .009 is kinda thin too... I wouldn't be suprise these break more often. Do you change your strings regularly?
Quote by Cathbard
Hit anything hard enough and it will break.

pretty much sums it up.

is it one strings that breaks more often? there could be a burr in the saddle or something not right with the nut or tuning keys.

where are they breaking?

what guitar is this on?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Haha but they should be able to manage some sort of resistance? I broke the high E regularly and brought my guitar to a repairman to let the saddles get polished. After that I didn't break it for a while, until I let myself go a bit during an improvisation and broke it again.

I play on a Strat and the strings break at/on the bridge.

Quote by trashedlostfdup
pretty much sums it up.

is it one strings that breaks more often? there could be a burr in the saddle or something not right with the nut or tuning keys.

where are they breaking?

what guitar is this on?
When I first started playing guitar, it had 9's on it.
I broke the high E all the time, like a few times a week.
I changed to 10's and haven't had that problem since.

I tend to get kind of rough with my playing sometimes.
Quote by CodeMonk
When I first started playing guitar, it had 9's on it.
I broke the high E all the time, like a few times a week.
I changed to 10's and haven't had that problem since.

I tend to get kind of rough with my playing sometimes.

I had 10's on my PRS but when I practiced for while (a solo with some bends for example), my finger started to hurt. It wasn't really a lack of power in the fingers, it was a different kind of pain warning me I was damaging it. Since I changed to 9's on my PRS my play does feel so much smoother and more relax, that is why I sticked to 9's after that. On my Strat I always played 9's.
Quote by GuitarL91
Haha but they should be able to manage some sort of resistance? I broke the high E regularly and brought my guitar to a repairman to let the saddles get polished. After that I didn't break it for a while, until I let myself go a bit during an improvisation and broke it again.

I play on a Strat and the strings break at/on the bridge.

Develop control and technique and your strings will stop breaking.
I had 10's on my PRS but when I practiced for while (a solo with some bends for example), my finger started to hurt. It wasn't really a lack of power in the fingers, it was a different kind of pain warning me I was damaging it.

Damaging your fingers?
I used to break the wound strings on my electric guitars at the bridge all the time until I switched to heavier string gauges. My right hand technique is only marginally better than a gorilla's, though.

If you can't or don't want to switch to heavier strings, really the only way to stop breakage that isn't due to a mechanical defect like imperfectly machined saddles or what-have-you is to lighten up your attack.
Speak up, I can't hear you over my raging tinnitus.
Quote by dspellman
Develop control and technique and your strings will stop breaking.
I've had metal guitarists say that to me with comments like "I never break strings." Then they try to play punk with me and they sound like shit because with punk, proper technique is to slam your guitar hard and fast. There's no room for a prissy soft touch. Broken strings are just par for the course. That's why you have a spare guitar on stage. If you don't break strings at times, it aint punk. Control is for other people, punk is out of control by design.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
are you talking about the bent steel saddles like a MIM? they get burrs really easy and if you are not watching it and bend sometimes a string can pop over by the height adjustment screw and break.

i needed new saddles a while ago on a MIM strat and put on graphtechs on and i haven't broken a string yet.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
It does sound like that doesn't it? I break a lot of strings through pure punky abuse but they break in different places. This sounds like a saddle problem to me.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
It does sound like that doesn't it? I break a lot of strings through pure punky abuse but they break in different places. This sounds like a saddle problem to me.

concur.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
are you talking about the bent steel saddles like a MIM? they get burrs really easy and if you are not watching it and bend sometimes a string can pop over by the height adjustment screw and break.

i needed new saddles a while ago on a MIM strat and put on graphtechs on and i haven't broken a string yet.

I have a Fender American Special Stratocaster (surf green) with no upgrades.

And to clarify: It isn't that I continuously break strings. It happens every now and then, but way less after I let the burr fixed. I just realised that when it happens, I mostly pick harder but I'm not smashing it.
My diagnosis is that the repair wasn't completely successful. Replace the saddle.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Currently I'm running out of strings (1 spare set left). I think I will try 10's on my strat to see how I get along with that. If it plays nice for me and the string doesn't break I'll probably stick with 10's and order a bunch of sets. If it breaks (fast), it's probably time to see the repairman again. If I don't like 10's I'll put 9's on it and keep track of the duration exactly. I will anyway add a couple of extra high E strings to my order, just to be sure.
Quote by Cathbard

Also agree. Throw some graphtech string saver saddles on there, some medium gauge strings, and problem solved.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Also agree. Throw some graphtech string saver saddles on there, some medium gauge strings, and problem solved.

exact thing that i touched on. i am willing to bet that his saddles have worn in more than one spot and that is the burr then they break.

the graphtechs are different, and it doesn't allow for that to happen. i had a MIM doing that with two saddles replaced havaen't broken them yet. (i was using .11's).
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!