Hello all. I am looking for a DI box, that IS ALSO a load. I would like to be able to take my head, but it right into our mixer, and out our sound system. I would like to eliminate the cabinet from the equation!

Just some background: my band also has an antibullying program where we go to schools and hold a mini assembly/seminar on bullying. We perform a few songs, get the kids attention, talk to them and what not, then perform again. It works out pretty well, the kids love it, the school loves it, and it's a fulltime job (for the most part). Now to do this we are totally upgrading our sound system. Basically doubling up our speakers, a whole new rack, new mixer, and what not. Now we all have in ears for our own personal mix, so stage volume isn't really a big deal.

We are hoping to eliminate the Cabs, and then use the free room and everything for the speakers we actually need.

Now one guy has a JVM, so the DI isn't an issue for him. I however run a DSL and a JCA, so no built in DI.

My Current plan is using my Tubemiester 5. I love how it sounds, but it's only one channel. Which is a major buzzkill. I can work with it, and i have on many occasions, but I'd rather not.

So my current options, if I want this to work, are find a load box with a dI, the two separately(?) or sell one or both of the amps (nooooo) and find something that can do it out of box, like a JVM 210 or the H&K Grandmiester.

Open to all suggestions.

Would prefer to not spend more than 300 on a non-amp route.

Thanks guys
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
Last edited by Katsock at Jun 11, 2014,
Quote by Katsock
Just some background: my band also has an antibullying program where we go to schools and hold a mini assembly/seminar on bullying. We perform a few songs, get the kids attention, talk to them and what not, then perform again. It works out pretty well, the kids love it, the school loves it, and it's a fulltime job (for the most part). Now to do this we are totally upgrading our sound system. Basically doubling up our speakers, a whole new rack, new mixer, and what not. Now we all have in ears for our own personal mix, so stage volume isn't really a big deal.
Wow, that's nice!

What kinda shools do you do that in?
Like, elementary, middle... ?
Quote by Katsock
Hello all. I am looking for a DI box, that IS ALSO a load. I would like to be able to take my head, but it right into our mixer, and out our sound system. I would like to eliminate the cabinet from the equation!
Aaight, first of all, let's get the terminology straight:

DI box doesn't really have a meaning, but in this field it refers to a box that turns a high impedance signal (the one coming out of a guitar) into a line level signal (the one that recording consoles like).

A load is the circuit (or the impedance of the circuit) connected to the terminals of another circuit, and this is what you need if you want to power up a tube amp without frying stuff.
What you want there is a load box with a line level output, so a box that has a certain input impedance (4, 8 and/or 16 ohms) and has a line level output.

I can't think of any audio processor that could take a line level signal and make it sound like it's passed through a cab (apart from the palmer cab sim RI, which is way above your budget), and the stuff that does the job you want and does it good - the two notes torpedo cab or the rivera rockcrusher studio - are over your budget.
There's stuff that does the job, for example the h&k red box but it still needs the cab to be connected to the amp.

Also mind that speaker simulators built in in amps usually suck pretty bad.

What I would do is finding myself a used POD HD500x.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Palmer PDI03 or PGA04 or the Torpedo Reload are what you're asking for but they're quite expensive. There's nothing in your price range with a competent loadbox and cab emulator.

The only decent no-cab solution under $300 I can think of would be a Weber MASS unit attenuator through a redbox. I'd still take a POD straight into the board over that, though. That's probably the solution you should be looking at.
Quote by Spambot_2
Wow, that's nice!

What kinda shools do you do that in?
Like, elementary, middle... ?
Aaight, first of all, let's get the terminology straight:

DI box doesn't really have a meaning, but in this field it refers to a box that turns a high impedance signal (the one coming out of a guitar) into a line level signal (the one that recording consoles like).

A load is the circuit (or the impedance of the circuit) connected to the terminals of another circuit, and this is what you need if you want to power up a tube amp without frying stuff.
What you want there is a load box with a line level output, so a box that has a certain input impedance (4, 8 and/or 16 ohms) and has a line level output.

I can't think of any audio processor that could take a line level signal and make it sound like it's passed through a cab (apart from the palmer cab sim RI, which is way above your budget), and the stuff that does the job you want and does it good - the two notes torpedo cab or the rivera rockcrusher studio - are over your budget.
There's stuff that does the job, for example the h&k red box but it still needs the cab to be connected to the amp.

Also mind that speaker simulators built in in amps usually suck pretty bad.

What I would do is finding myself a used POD HD500x.

We do mostly elementary and middle school. High schoolers are "too cool" to be bothered, usually haha.

Thanks for the info and the corrections. I'll have to do some soul searching and reevaluate my budget. We have tons of paid gigs coming up right before hand, and I might be able to swing it. Thanks for all the ides, I would have never thought of those.

Also, I HAVE considered the POD, but I have never really enjoyed any sounds I've heard in a live setting with the POD. It's still an option I can look into though.
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
Load box/speaker sim combos in your price range are just not very good. Bringing 50+ watts down to line level without totally destroying the tone is really difficult. I think the cheapest product that does it well is the Palmer, and that's not exactly cheap. On top of that it's not very flexible, the Torpedo gives you a lot more options but it's even more expensive.

For $300 I don't think any setup you're going to get will sound better than a POD straight into the board. If you decide you're willing to spend more then some of those other emulators are pretty good. Of course, then you start to bump up into Axe-FX territory, which is a great option too.
Yea, I'm thinking I need to bump up my budget. I didn't know anything about the subject so I guess I went in blind. What about selling a head and searching for a JVM or a H&K with the Redbox (Built in)? I don't want to sell a head, but getting one in return that will fit my needs forever may be the best option.
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
Quote by Katsock
What about selling a head and searching for a JVM or a H&K with the Redbox (Built in)?
As I wrote, emulated line outs in amps suck pretty bad in general, and if you wanted a real loadbox + cab sim you'd have to spend twice that money to get a good one.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2
As I wrote, emulated line outs in amps suck pretty bad in general, and if you wanted a real loadbox + cab sim you'd have to spend twice that money to get a good one.

That is a bummer. I actually really like the way the JCA line out sounds with my DSL. putting it into the system tames all the sizzle and top end. I guess I really need to reevaluate my options/plan. Thanks for all the help. Learned alot!
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
You could get a Behringer Ultra-G and throw a big honk'n 100W 8 ohm resistor on the cab output. The Ultra-G will pad the signal down to line level on an XLR out and give you a 4x12 cab sim. You'd only have less than $50 invested if it didn't sound great.

You could also put a speaker in a homemade closed cabinet to cut down on the sound. The speaker is a reactive load and may produce a better output on the XLR than the resistor.
Last edited by fly135 at Jun 12, 2014,