I want to monitor and record my Hot Rod Deluxe using my Weber mini-mass attenuator’s line out to a Pod Studio UX2 to my Mac’s DAW. Can this be done? Also, will I be able to silence the deluxe’s speaker and monitor through headphones/monitors on my computer as well as use a cab IR?

Are there any dangers in doing this? I know very little in terms of routing so I don’t want to damage any of my equipment. Ideally, you would want to mic a tube amp, but in my current situation I need silent/near silent recording options.

Thanks.
You can do it safely but it probably won't sound right without speaker emulation. I tried to record from an Altair attenuator and was sadly disappointed so I just resorted to a mic and all was well. For direct recording I always prefer using amp sims over amplifier direct outs. It just sounds better to my ears.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by Cajundaddy
You can do it safely but it probably won't sound right without speaker emulation.

By speaker emulation, do you mean another piece of hardware I connect in between the amp and UX2?

Would a software impulse loader do that digitally once the signal goes into my DAW or is that something that needs to come directly from the amp before making it to the UX2?

I have used software amp sims in the past, but just wanted to see what sounds I could get from my HRD w/ some pedals I have.
He means a software cab sim. Like an amp sim, but it does the cab.

In case you hadn't noticed, there's a sticky full of recommendations for all kind of sims.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Okay, so with a cab sim I can make practical use of this setup?

As far as routing goes,

my setup would be guitar > pedals > amp > attenuator line out > ux2 > DAW w/ cab impulses

I'm just a bit confused on where to make the connection between the attenuator's line out and the UX2

Am I trying too hard to make this setup work? Would my other option be to use my physical pedals directly to the UX2 instrument input and just go with an amp/cab sim?

Thanks for any input so far.
My thinking is you are over-complicating the issue. If you want to record direct, put the amp and attenuator in your closet and just use: guitar > pedals > POD > DAW. If you want to record through your amp: guitar > pedals > amp > mic > interface > DAW . The whole mix n match is very likely going to introduce gremlins, and great guitar tone will become elusive. Any decent amp sim that does Fender Blackface tone should work great.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Jun 11, 2014,
That would be another option, but amp sims often don't work well with pedals.

You could just use sims for everything. Alternatively, get a mic & use that to record your amp properly.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
you would do pedals, amp, line out on attenuator, line in on UX2, then throw a cab impulse up on your track in your DAW. line out to line in, just match the names.
Okay, I will test this out and see what results I get.

Last question, can I use instrument cables for the line out to line in connection or do I need a different cable?
why not just make things simpler by using the fx loop on your amp(preamp out).

just use a regular instrument cable from your preamp out to your POD UX2. Set the gain levels on the interface, then open it using a DAW track. in the same track where your interface is located, load an IR loader like Kefir AFTER the interface. download any random IR you find on the internet and load it with the loader, I suggest the free Red Wirez g12 pack as its decent.

Also, KEEP THE SPEAKER PLUGGED IN and lower the volume on your amp to 0. your amp will die a quick death if you do this with the speaker unplugged. this is the easiest way I find to get your amps tone although it wont sound all that great without the power amp.

if you are unhappy with the tone you are getting with this method, you can download a power amp sim like IgniteAmps TPA-1 which is free. its a class AB power amp sim which makes the tone sound bigger in your recording.
Marty Friedman is GOD!

curently in a SEX MACHINEGUNS and X JAPAN phase AND Galneryus AND Anthem phase

damn J-Metal, why you so awesome

My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1 fr
Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ sanpera 1
^ you kinda answered your own question (first sentence) with your last paragraph. the reason that people use an attenuator is to get the sound of the power amp, including some power amp distortion. running from the effects loop out wont sound the same as running through the poweramp. for something like the HRD you probably want to push the amp, which is less important than if you were using something meant more for preamp gain only.

or maybe he just thought the attenuator was cool