Ugh... Got to make some hard choices to get rid of some guitars, to make the wife happy. I thought I might run by what I've got, what I'm thinking of keeping, see if anyone had any thoughts, or could even give me any idea if they know what a good asking price for these would be, whether I should try selling them on Ebay, Craigslist, Reverb, etc.

The ones I'm planning to sell are:

2002 PRS McCarty 10 Top (black) w/ OHSC
1977 Yamaha SG1500 (black) w/ OHSC
1989 Yamaha Pacifica 712 (black)
2002? Epiphone G400

The ones I plan to keep are:

1989 Yamaha SE612a (cream)
198? Yamaha SE612 (gun metal blue)
200? Epiphone Dot Studio

Basically, I think the Yamaha SE's fit me very well, would be my main players and with two, I have a back up, or a way to get parts (which can be hard to find) if something wears out. The Dot Studio is when I want something different, is pretty much opposite of the SE's: semi-hollow, double humbuckers, no trem, and a very fat & substantial neck (the Yamahas are on the thin side). Sometimes I just like the feel & sound of that Dot Studio & fat neck & twangy/jazzy/bluesy semi-hollow tones. It's got some cheap hardware, but I think if I change the tuners & pickups, it'll be a great little 335-type guitar.

The PRS and the Yamaha SG are sort of my expensive "treasures" and awesome to look at, and play from time to time. The Yamaha SG is near mint, was a great find, 35 year old closet queen with original case & some case candy, amazing Japanese workmanship at the start of a "golden age" for Yamaha SG's. The PRS is a work of art and amazing quality, jumbo frets, impossibly perfect intonation, and covers great tonal range with the ability to split both humbuckers. But I'm more rough & tumble, want guitar I will actually use, can take on road trips or camping. These two guitars are just too "high end" for my lifestyle, so I wind up not playing them much.

The Pacifica 712 is a bit of a relic'd beast, more tarnished than any of my other guitars (mainly just hardware, the wood's all pretty clean), but still has great super strat tone. But I don't need three super-strats. So it's great, but redundant. I don't expect to get a lot for it, but I don't see a reason to hang onto it.

The G400 was my first solid body electric because I loved that SG double cutaway look, so it was all about appearances. It does look great, and it hangs in my living room. But I've gravitated to the strat (or superstrat) camp. Sadly, it was frustrating to play it because there were some build quality issues, like having to replace the input jack. Now that I've invested the money and had it fixed & set up, so it plays well, I've decided it does not suit me, so I'm going to take a bath on this one, but may as well be sooner rather than later.

I ran my sell-off notion by a guitarist I know, who plays professionally (I'm just a hobbyist wannabe for now) and he was telling me I'll regret selling these. I don't need the money, I just don't see the point in having a lot of guitars taking up room in a closet where they are not being played (and I have no good place to display them, nor would my wife appreciate that design notion). I read a book "Clear Your Clutter" that convinced me having too much stuff stored up is an energy drain, kind of like the saying, "the things you own, end up owning you." And my wife nags me about having too many guitars, so there's that.

I've picked these up at music stores, craigslist, ebay, but not sure what is best place to sell. Any thoughts? Whether to sell or hold on? Where to sell? How much to ask for? Any stories of people who thinned the herd and regretted it or thought they made the right choice?

Ken
Bernie Sanders for President!
Reverb is a good place in general. However, I might also consider selling the PRS at Guitars and Effects. They have a nice- but small- selection of PRS for sale.

http://www.guitarsandeffects.com/page5.html

That said, while I'm more of a collector than most, if I were to start selling off guitars, I'd cull from the bottom up...or base my decisions on blindfolded merit, not looks.

While a guitar can be art- as your PRS sounds- it is first and foremost a tool, and tools are meant to be used. I'm sure every beat up guitar you've seen a pro use- Nelson's Trigger, SRV's Number One, etc.- started off as a pristine, beautiful guitar.

You insist that the PRS or Yamaha don't fit your lifestyle, but are you just telling yourself that to make parting with them easier?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jun 11, 2014,
selling to make the wife happy usually translate to there is a problem elsewhere. so what might that be? I'd be way more inclined to sell/trade in gear to go towards the purchase of other gear more suited to my current needs. just selling cuz there was some bitching not likely (not that my old lady would grumble about that, other things yes but she likes the guitars).
I only use eBay as a last resort when it comes to selling guitars. eBay/PayPal fees are just too much for me anymore

I've had good luck with Craigslist for the most part, so long as you're cautious of where you meet and the person you're meeting with.
Really can't offer any advice on which ones to keep or sell as obviously it's all up to your own personal preference.

I've sold guitars in the past - really only regret selling my MIM P bass; even though I rarely played it and didn't much care for the sound of it, I'm doing some recording again and dagnabbit, I need to save up and buy another bass now. Also sold a Jackson guitar that I didn't like the sound of but I've replaced it with an Ibanez that I like a whole lot more. Sold my cheap old Martin Sigma Marquis acoustic; it would be nice to have an acoustic around I suppose and I'll pick up another (better) one eventually, but I always spend about 98% of my time playing electric so it's not a big deal.
I'm considering something similar; some of the guitars I don't play at all can go to other caretakers (or even players!). Besides, I can use the money for some upcoming projects. More importantly, however, I'm going to dump a bunch of the bulky speaker systems and cabinets that I don't anticipate using again. They'll be replaced, but with lighter, more versatile setups.