I just picked up a guitar that came from an obviously heavy smoker. the guitar was bought new in November and not played at all but really has the smell to it. I suspect it is mostly from the case. I wiped the exterior of the hard case down with a lysol wipe and thought maybe just leaving it open would help. Anyone have any tips that they find works well other than cleaning and time?
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
Sprinkle the inside of the case with baking soda. Leave it sit for a couple of days. Vacuum up the baking soda.

Clean the guitar thoroughly.

Then toss some dryer sheets in the case with the guitar.
thanks, i have heard the baking soda gimmick works pretty well. i will try it out and see how it goes.
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
If it’s a hard case just give it away to a smoker. You’ll never get the smell out of the layers of fabric and styrofoam. If it’s a gig bag you can wash away the smell. One wash in OxyClean to get rid of dirt and grease around the smoke particles, once with vinegar, then once with bleach. Use the hottest water for all washes.

As for the guitar, you can get the smell off if it has a poly finish. Wipe it down with paper towels and a household cleaner. I use Method, don’t use Simple Green or strong citrus cleaners as they can damage paint. If the fretboard is rosewood or ebony wipe it down with Gorgomyte.