Hi,

do any of you guys know how to achieve a guitar sound similar to that of Ulver on "Nattens Madrigal" or Taake on "Nattestid"? I've tried a couple of amps and distortion pedals over the years, but none of them gets me that blistering, fuzzy, trebly black metal sound. I can dial thrash metal into my amp, death metal, no problem, but I can't achieve that distinctive black metal sound. Can any of you guys give me some tips?
Last edited by dismau at Jun 11, 2014,
Boss metal zone with scooped mids.

Seriously. That actually does the trick. For Nattens Madrigel, also add a chorus pedal.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jun 11, 2014,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Boss metal zone with scooped mids.

Seriously. That actually does the trick. For Nattens Madrigel, also add a chorus pedal.

Metal Zone? OK, haven't tried that one yet, I have mostly used a Digitech Metal Master and a Zoom G2.1u. Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a try.
Plug your FX send into a PA or a recording device, don't want to use that filthy cabinet at all :-)
From my understanding, most of the black metal guitar sound originally came from the horrible quality of mics they used. Try using a cheap and small Marshall and recording it through a headset mic. That's how Burzum did it, and after a couple trials, I was able to recreate the sound fairly accurately.

For live, definitely use a scooped pedal. It won't sound as good (bad), but it won't be too bad (good)
Israel is a terrorist state.
all treble, no bass, scooped mids, then maybe a noise generator effect of a lo-fi type pedal. most of the sound you hear on record is a product of the recording process. Euronymous used an Arion Metal Master pedal (I have one and it's very black metal tonally with the highs all the way up) and an Ibanez Tube Screamer for leads into a marshall amp. Varg used some unknown fuzzbox into a boom box to make filosofem, and used a headset mic for the vocals. Basically use shit gear. but tonally it's all about tremolo picking, not palm muting (this can be difficult at first if you're used to playing thrash), and an overabundant amount of treble for the razor blade tone.

I've also found a big muff works surprisingly well, since the mids are already scooped a bit.
Someone is wrong on the internet. Only you can help.

Quote by Tulkas

Stairway is required on any list of anything involving the words guitar or song, I believe Congress amended the constitution in order to put it into federal law.
Quote by entropicxdisson

I've also found a big muff works surprisingly well, since the mids are already scooped a bit.

this. I play black metal and usually use my ts9 into my big muff.

my settings are as follows:

TS9
drive: max
tone: 4
level: max

Big Muff
volume: max
tone: 6
sustain: 4
banned
Just bought an Arion Matal Master and all I can say that that thing is awesome for old school black metal. It's quite gritty and fuzzy sounding.